The Gauteng Education Department says it has received about 500 000 applications for Grades one and eight for the 2021 academic year.
Saturday marked the deadline for parents to apply for their children after the Gauteng Education Department opened the placement process almost a month ago.
Parents experienced technical glitches in the first hour of the process while the process was marred in controversy last year.
Department spokesperson Steve Mabona says, “The placement period will commence in October, that is making sure that all parents will be receiving the SMS’s. We just want to appeal to parents, to those that have not uploaded their documents. They need to go back into the system and make sure that they upload the necessary documents so that the application process will then be complete. It will be difficult to assist if you don’t have documents but we want to also remind them that they can still submit those documents up until the 31st of July.”
The Gauteng Department had assured parents that the online application system is efficient after some parents experienced glitches when applying for their children to be placed at schools.