The Free State has confirmed its first COVID-19 death. An 86-year-old man has died in Pelonomi hospital in Bloemfontein.

The province’s confirmed coronavirus cases now stand at 72. Free State department of health spokesperson Mondli Mvambi says 25 tracer teams have been deployed in the Mangaung Metro region which has the highest number of cases.

Mvambi says to date the department has been able to screen more than 2000 people with 256 tested and 966 traced.

Mvambi says they are pleased to have recorded nine recoveries from the virus.

South Africa records second COVID-19 death

A few days ago, the health ministry confirmed a second death from the coronavirus.

The deceased is a 74-year-old man, who had been in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and ventilation at a private hospital in Ladysmith, KwaZulu-Natal. He had flu symptoms after he had travelled to Kruger National Park with his family.

He was confirmed to have contracted COVID-19 on Friday.

In the video below, SA records its first death over Coronavirus