Free State health probes alleged poisoning of learner

Reading Time: < 1 minute

The Department of Health, in the Free State, says investigations are under way following the death of a learner at Tsholetsang Primary School.

The eight-year-old boy died on Wednesday after allegedly eating a poisonous substance while at school.

Six other learners were admitted at the Pelonomi Hospital in Bloemfontein, also after allegedly eating a poisonous substance.

Free State Health Spokesperson, Mondli Mvambi, says four of the six are likely to be discharged on Thursday.

“The forensic pathologists will be doing their work this morning, a post mortem will be conducted and a report will be received on what the cause of death is. The six that we have in the hospital, the diagnosis is poisoning. We are told that the police are at the crime scene and they will be investigating what the probable cause of death is,” says Mvambi.

Last month, more than 30 learners from Lofentse Girls’ High School in Soweto got sick after consuming poisoned scones that were allegedly sold by another learner.

In the video below, Lofentse Girls’ High parents demand answers over the alleged food poisoning scandal: