Four suspects aged between 25 and 53 are to apply for bail in the Piet Retief Magistrate’s Court in Mpumalanga on Monday in connection with the killing of two men on a farm earlier this month.
The case has caused a public outcry in the area.
The two brothers were part of a group of farm dwellers who went to seek employment as they were seasonal farm workers. It is reported that on their way back they realised that one of them was left on the farm. Upon return to the farm, they found that he was being assaulted. A scuffle ensued and the two were shot and killed on the scene. During the previous court appearance, community members, political parties and organisations representing farm dwellers and workers demonstrated outside the court. They are opposed to the suspects getting bail.
Mkhondo community protests over killings:
Speaking on behalf of the affected family, Nathi Coka says the deceased were breadwinners.
“We want the suspects to support the children of the deceased. We also want him to leave the farm because he has been harassing black people. He doesn’t want to live with black people. If he was warning them, he would have shot them in the leg and not in the head,” says Coka.
Mpumalanga MEC Vusi Shongwe on the Mkhondo murder case:
Mpumalanga Premier Refilwe Mtsweni-Tsipane visited the family of the two deceased.