Former Eskom Acting CEO Sean Maritz has been suspended until Tuesday, when he will be given an opportunity to explain to the power utility’s Acting CEO Phakamani Radebe, why he should not be fired.

Maritz is the fourth Eskom executive who is facing the chop this week, due to alleged governance lapses at the parastatal.

This week, Acting Group Capital Executive, Prish Govender and former CFO Anoj Singh resigned, while former Executive Matshela Koko, went to court on Friday in an attempt to hold on to his job.

Last year, Eskom wrote a letter to consulting firm Mckinsey, demanding that it pays back R1.6 billion the power utility had unlawfully paid it.

However, Eskom Spokesperson Khulu Phasiwe says Maritz’s letter to Mckinsey earlier this month, is at the centre of the suspension.

Phasiwe says it contradicts the power utility’s official stance on Mckinsey.

“Last week Mr Maritz with the support of the board, the previous board at least, wrote a letter to Mckinsey saying there was nothing wrong with that payment. However, they said that even though everything was okay, they still want Mckinsey to make the payment of R1 billion. So the new board is now reviewing the whole thing, to see why there was a change of heart by the old board. Mr Maritz will be given a chance on Tuesday.”