• News
  • Sport
  • TV
  • Radio
  • Education
  • TV Licences
  • Contact Us
  • SOUTH AFRICA
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORT
  • AFRICA
  • WORLD
  • FEATURES
  • OPINION
No Result
View All Result
1
Home Africa

Ethiopian leader heads to war’s front lines as Olympians join the military

24 November 2021, 6:40 PM  |
Reuters Reuters |  @SABCNews
Civilians carry a placard with Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s portrait during a pro-government rally to denounce what the organisers say is the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) and the Western countries' interference in internal affairs of the country, at Meskel Square in Addis Ababa. [File image]

Civilians carry a placard with Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s portrait during a pro-government rally to denounce what the organisers say is the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) and the Western countries' interference in internal affairs of the country, at Meskel Square in Addis Ababa. [File image]

Image: Reuters

Civilians carry a placard with Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s portrait during a pro-government rally to denounce what the organisers say is the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) and the Western countries' interference in internal affairs of the country, at Meskel Square in Addis Ababa. [File image]

Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has gone to direct the war from the front lines, state-affiliated media reported on Wednesday, as two Olympian athletes announced they were enlisting in the military.

Gold medallist Haile Gebreselassie, who set 27 long distance running records, told Reuters he was joining up. So is Olympic silver medallist runner Feyisa Lelisa, local media reported.

While Abiy is away, Deputy Prime Minister Demeke Mekonnen Hassen would take charge of routine government business in his absence, government spokesman Legesse Tulu told a news conference, according to a report from Fana news outlet.

Abiy announced late on Monday he was planning to personally direct the fight against Tigrayan forces and their allies.

“Let’s meet at the war front,” he wrote “The time has come to lead the country with sacrifice.”

Last month Tigrayan forces and their allies threatened to march on the capital Addis Ababa. They have also been fighting fiercely to try to cut a transport corridor linking landlocked Ethiopia with the region’s main port Djibouti.

On Tuesday, US Special Envoy Jeffrey Feltman said the Ethiopian military and regional militias had been able to hold back Tigrayan attempts to cut the corridor, but Tigrayan forces had been able to move south towards the capital.

Ethiopia’s military spokesperson did not respond to requests for comment.

Ethiopian police have trained around 147 000 civilians in the capital to form neighbourhood defence groups and help detect possible infiltrators, police told Reuters.

DIPLOMATS EXPELLED

Feltman, along with former Nigerian president turned African Union envoy Olusegun Obasanjo, has been trying to broker a ceasefire between the two sides.

On Tuesday, Feltman said that nascent progress risked being overshadowed by military developments.

On Wednesday, Ethiopia expelled four of six Irish diplomats from the country because of Ireland’s stance on the conflict, Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney said.

Ireland has been at the forefront of calling for meetings of the UN Security Council on Ethiopia and pushing for council statements on the conflict since it joined the 15-member body in January.

“Ireland has been shining a spotlight on things that have been happening in Ethiopia that really are breaches of international law and are of serious humanitarian and human rights concern,” he told Ireland’s RTE radio.

“We’ve already had unfortunately a lot of death and a lot of killing in Ethiopia this year, but it could get an awful lot worse in the next few weeks …and that is why, unfortunately, the Ethiopian government has decided to target Ireland.”

Dina Mufti, spokesperson for the Ethiopian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Irish foreign ministry said its embassy would remain open, but that it had asked its citizens to leave by commercial means immediately, and said those planning to visit should avoid travel.

Also on Wednesday, Switzerland and Britain advised their citizens to leave Ethiopia, citing the worsening security situation. France and the United State have already called on citizens to leave.

 

Share article
Tags: EthiopiaConflictPrime Minister Abiy AhmedTigray
Previous Post

COVID cases break records in Europe, prompting booster shot rethink

Next Post

UN launches 16 Days for the Elimination of Violence Against Women campaign

Related Posts

Zimbabwean flag

Professor Mutambara says African continent needs new leadership

9 June 2023, 8:24 PM
Rwandan genocide suspect Fulgence Kayishema appears in the Cape Town Magistrates Court, in Cape Town, South Africa May 26, 2023.

Case of alleged Rwandan genocide postponed again in Cape Town

9 June 2023, 4:20 PM
A man walks while smoke rises above buildings after aerial bombardment, during clashes between the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces and the army in Khartoum North, Sudan, May 1, 2023. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah/File Photo

‘Sudan sides agree to 24-hour ceasefire from Saturday’

9 June 2023, 3:03 PM
Burnt-out buses which belong to a partly state-funded "Dem Dikk" company, that provides intercity, national and regional bus services, are seen following violent protests after Senegal opposition leader Ousmane Sonko was sentenced to prison, in Keur Massar neighborhood, Dakar, Senegal, June 7, 2023.

From restaurants to water towers, unrest dents Senegal’s economy

9 June 2023, 11:44 AM
ZEP holders seen queuing

Chitando pushes for permanent residency for ZEP holders

9 June 2023, 6:26 AM
A convoy of trucks from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) deliver lifesaving medical supplies are seen on the road to Mekelle, in Tigray region, Ethiopia November 15, 2022.

US suspends food aid to Ethiopia, saying it’s not reaching needy

8 June 2023, 2:44 PM
Next Post
A woman sheds a tear.

UN launches 16 Days for the Elimination of Violence Against Women campaign

Most Viewed

  • 24hrs
  • Week
  • Month
  • Decision on Zimbabwean Exemption Permits causing confusion: TASA
  • [Editorial Update] Unisa suspends registrar for various breaches of policy
  • Orlando Pirates player Thembinkosi Lorch found guilty of assault
  • Slain teen Palesa Malatji’s family calls for death sentence to be reinstated
  • Female student stabbed to death at NMU residence
  • Dr Nandipha’s looks during court appearances under the spotlight
  • Deadline for Zimbabwean Exemption Permits draws near
  • Reserve Bank expected to increase repo rate on Thursday
  • Zimbabwe receives 18 helicopters from Russian Federation
  • Eastern Cape ActionSA raises eyebrows over qualifications of senior officials
  • Decision on Zimbabwean Exemption Permits causing confusion: TASA
  • Mabuyane amends court application to interdict SIU from continuing investigation
  • South Africa needs to create new cities to address overpopulation: Kubayi
  • Chitando pushes for permanent residency for ZEP holders
  • KZN teacher to run double Comrades to fund schooling for children

LATEST

[File Image] National Commissioner of the South African Police Service, General Sehlahle Fannie Masemola during the release of quarterly crime statistics.
  • South Africa

Over 200 sentenced to life for GBV, says Masemola


A person holds up their passport showing their visa
  • Business

Calls for more action to ease visa regulations between SA, France


A customer arrives at the Post Office in Pimville, Soweto.
  • South Africa

Government says it will fight to ensure the survival of the Post Office


Zimbabwean flag
  • Africa

Professor Mutambara says African continent needs new leadership


Picture of a laboratory
  • South Africa

Treatment of cancer receives R600 mln boost with launch of Isotope facility


Suspended Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane
  • Politics

S194 Inquiry changes course, wants evidence in writing


Weather

  • About the SABC
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs
  • Advertise
  • Disclaimer
  • Site Map

SABC © 2023

No Result
View All Result
  • SOUTH AFRICA
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORT
  • AFRICA
  • WORLD
  • FEATURES
  • OPINION

© 2023

Previous COVID cases break records in Europe, prompting booster shot rethink
Next UN launches 16 Days for the Elimination of Violence Against Women campaign