Business Unity South Africa (Busa), says the Eskom board must move with speed to hold the executives accountable for failing to keep the lights on.
This is as power crisis lingers on, with Eskom unable to give assurance of keeping the light on, after a two week-long blackout.
While calls have been mounting that executives, including CEO André de Ruyter must be relieved of their duties, Busa is cautioning against such, saying stability is what is currently needed.
“We believe that there is a good Eskom board in place and we believe that the CEO is not an issue. We believe that at this point in time it doesn’t make sense, to exacerbate the problem,” says Busa CEO Cas Coovadia.
“We believe that they have a good leadership in place. If the leadership, including the CEO, is not doing its job then the board must call them to account. That is what the board is there for,” explains Coovadia.
The situation at Eskom is disastrous: Matshela Koko
Meanwhile, last week, Eskom suspended stage two blackouts.
The power utility said the suspension is with effect from 5am on Friday, October 12, after generation capacity recovered enough to enable it to stop the blackouts.
On Thursday, October 11, Eskom CEO André de Ruyter, said improvements in the power system had allowed the power utility to return electricity to normal ahead of schedule.
The country was plunged into darkness when stage four was announced earlier last week.