Health Ombudsman Malekgapuru Makgoba has been scathing in his assessment of the relocation of Esidimeni patients to NGOs.

Giving his final summary of the relocation process which resulted in 143 deaths of mentally-ill patients, Makgoba said the process was reckless and negligent. He also says while there were good NGOs, 100 patients died from just four illegal NGOs.

Makgoba has explained how they arrived at the latest death toll.

“For the period of arbitration, the total number of deaths is 139. For the period of the Ombud, it’s 118. Now, remember that Dr Kenosi and his team have been monitoring patients and we have monitored these patients up until the end of September. Now, by the end of September 2017, there had been four additional deaths which brings the total to 143.”

Meanwhile, former Gauteng Health MEC, Qedani Mahlangu, will testify at the Life Esidimeni Arbitration hearings from the 22nd to the 26th of January 2018. This was revealed at the hearings in Parktown, Johannesburg, on Friday.

 

Mahlangu has been studying for an MBA at the Global School of Banking in England, but the London-based institution suspended her without prejudice until she resolves her issues in South Africa.

Mahlangu has now reached an agreement with the chairperson of the hearings.

Click video below for more: