• News
  • Sport
  • TV
  • Radio
  • Education
  • TV Licences
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • SOUTH AFRICA
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORT
  • AFRICA
  • WORLD
  • SCI-TECH
  • LIFESTYLE
  • FEATURES
  • OPINION
Home Africa

Egypt’s Sisi plays down repeat protest call as security tightened

27 September 2019, 12:42 PM  |
Reuters Reuters |  @SABCNews
Protests broke out on September 20 in Cairo and other cities following online calls for demonstrations against alleged corruption by President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and the military.

Protests broke out on September 20 in Cairo and other cities following online calls for demonstrations against alleged corruption by President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and the military.

Image: Reuters

Protests broke out on September 20 in Cairo and other cities following online calls for demonstrations against alleged corruption by President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and the military.

Egypt’s president told supporters not to worry about calls for further protests against his rule on Friday, as security forces tightened controls in the center of the capital and closed off entrances to Tahrir Square.

Protests broke out on September 20 in Cairo and other cities following online calls for demonstrations against alleged corruption by President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and the military.

Sisi, who has been in New York for the past week attending the United Nations General Assembly, returned to Cairo on Friday morning, where he was greeted by religious dignitaries and a crowd of supporters.

Asking them why they were up so early on a Friday, the first day of Egypt’s weekend, he said: “The situation isn’t worth it. You need to know that the Egyptian people are very aware… Don’t worry about anything.”

Sisi also appeared to repeat his earlier rejection of allegations of corruption posted online by Mohamed Ali, a former contractor and actor, in the run-up to the protests. Ali’s videos have attracted a wide following.

“This is an image being painted as was done before, comprised of lies and defamation and some media working to present an image that isn’t true. We’re really strong, the country is really strong with (because of) you,” he said in a video posted on his official Facebook page.

Since last weekend’s protests, authorities have carried out a campaign of mass arrests which rights monitors say has seen at least 1 900 people detained. Egypt’s public prosecutor said on Thursday that “not more than 1 000” had been questioned after participating in protests.

Ali has called for new protests this Friday, though government supporters are also planning rallies to show their backing for Sisi.

HEAVY POLICE PRESENCE

The protests have unnerved investors and led to a pro-Sisi campaign in Egypt’s strictly controlled media.

Security forces have stepped up their presence in main squares in major cities and have been checking mobile phones for political content.

On Friday morning, roads leading to Tahrir Square in central Cairo, the epicenter of protests that led to the overthrow of former President Hosni Mubarak in 2011, were closed to traffic. There was a heavy police presence around the square and at some junctions in the city center.

Sisi came to power after leading the overthrow of Islamist former President Mohamed Mursi in 2013 following mass protests against Mursi’s rule.

Sisi said on Friday that at some point he would request a show of mass support in which Egyptians would “go out in their millions”.

Sisi has overseen a broad crackdown on dissent that has extended to liberal as well as Islamist groups and which rights groups say is the most severe in recent memory.

Sisi’s backers say the crackdown was needed to stabilize Egypt after the turmoil that followed the country’s 2011 uprising.

Several hundred of those detained in the past week have been placed under investigation for charges including using social media to spread false news, undermining national security, joining a banned terrorist group and protesting without a permit, defense lawyers say.

Share article
Tags: EgyptAbdel Fattah al-Sisi
Previous Post

Search engine Google celebrates 21st birthday

Next Post

Fuel prices predicted to increase in October: AA

Related Posts

A Zimbabwean Permit from Home Affairs.

Zimbabwean embassy in SA to launch bid for the return of Zimbabwean Exemption Permit holders

2 February 2023, 10:40 AM
The Central Bank of Lesotho

Lesotho Central Bank raises interest rates by 25 basis points

1 February 2023, 3:05 PM
Priests gather at Ndolo Airport for a Mass celebrated by Pope Francis in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, February 1, 2023.

Pope Francis to celebrate Mass in Congo

1 February 2023, 10:00 AM
Photograph of slain human right lawyer and political activist Thulani Maseko holding up a human rights award.

SADC calls for urgent national dialogue in Eswatini

1 February 2023, 6:24 AM
Soldiers from Burkina Faso patrol on the road of Gorgadji in the Sahel area, Burkina Faso March 3, 2019.

Burkina Faso says 28 killed in two attacks by armed assailants

31 January 2023, 6:22 PM
Soldiers guard positions near the Naaba Koom military base in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. (File)

Burkina Faso says 28 killed in two attacks by armed assailants

31 January 2023, 5:26 PM
Next Post
The Automobile Association says without the Rand's performance, we could have been looking at price rises in excess of 40 cents a litre for some fuels.

Fuel prices predicted to increase in October: AA

Most Viewed

  • 24hrs
  • Week
  • Month
  • Registration at Unisa closes on Friday, but management says no need to panic
  • Gas leak shut, isolated in Pretoria North
  • King of Bacardi music ‘Vusi Ma R5’ killed in Soshanguve
  • Committee wants to halt planned demolition of North West hospital
  • Bapedi kingdom commemorates Kgosi Mampuru II, still hoping to find his remains
  • Parts of the Northern Cape to be exempted from rolling blackouts
  • VIDEO | St Benedict College’s Matric learner gets 11 distinctions
  • Limpopo matriculant from child-headed household attains diploma pass
  • Female circumcision practice thriving in Eastern Cape
  • Premier denies claims that KZN government spent millions on Mampintsha’s funeral
  • At least 10 people killed in Bhityi area, Eastern Cape
  • UPDATE: Four dead in KwaMashu Hostel shooting
  • Manhunt for 20 suspects in KwaMashu shooting
  • LIVE: EFF leader Julius Malema and bodyguard back in court
  • VIDEO: Jacob Zuma vs State Advocate Billy Downer, Karen Maughan

LATEST

  • Business

LIVE | Eskom board says focusing on seven priority areas


[File Image] : France's Raphael Varane and Karim Benzema during training
  • Sport

France defender Varane retires from international football


A gavel used by judges in the court of law.
  • Politics

‘Maughan might have reasonable argument in challenging private prosecution’


The South African Broadcasting Corporation headquarters in Auckland Park.
  • South Africa

President criticised for delay in SABC board appointment


[File Image] Tottenham Hotspur's Sergio Reguilon celebrates scoring.
  • Sport

SA Tourism clarifies proposed Tottenham sponsorship


[File Image] Police tape cordons a crime scene.
  • South Africa

Qunu families identify bodies following fatal shooting


Weather

  • About the SABC
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs
  • Advertise
  • Disclaimer
  • Site Map

SABC © 2023

No Result
View All Result
  • SOUTH AFRICA
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORT
  • AFRICA
  • WORLD
  • SCI-TECH
  • LIFESTYLE
  • FEATURES
  • OPINION

© 2022

Previous Google cake Search engine Google celebrates 21st birthday
Next Fuel prices predicted to increase in October: AA