Eastern Cape Premier Phumulo Masualle now has to respond to the damning Public Protector’s report on the misappropriation of funds for former President Nelson Mandela’s funeral in 2013.
In the report released on Monday, Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane found that R300 million of public funds were misdirected and that civil action should be taken to recover the money from various Eastern Cape government agencies.
Some of the funds were meant for the provision of running water, electricity, sanitation, ablution facilities, replacement of mud-schools and refurbishing hospitals.
Provincial government spokesperson, Sonwabo Mbananga says the report must still find its way to the desk of the premier as head of government in the province.
He says, “The premier will undergo a process of going through the report to apply his mind on what that report says in its findings and recommendations in so far as actions which need to be taken. At that point the premier will then vocalise every action to be taken.”
Meanwhile government watchdog, Public Service Accountability Monitor Director Jay Kruse says the contents of the report are an indictment on the provincial government.
“Clearly this is something the provincial legislature needs to act upon and we need to have these checks and balances in place to prevent a recurrence of such a nature.”
Kruse says it is critical that frameworks that are there are respected to ensure that there is no fruitless and wasteful expenditure.
“Again we have a situation where laws were by passed and this is not the first time this has occurred. The implicated public servants should face the consequences of their conduct.”