Electronic hailing services operators are expected to stop working from midnight on Monday ahead of their planned three-day national shutdown. The operators are calling on the government to regulate the industry.
They say this will help prevent their exploitation and promote safety within the e-hailing sector by rooting out criminal elements.
The drivers are expected to march to the Union Buildings in Pretoria on Tuesday.
On Wednesday, several marches will be held across various provinces to the Transport MEC’s offices.
e-Hailing operators spokesperson Vhatuka Mbhelengwa says their protest action will culminate into a national stay away on Thursday.
“Nationally we are expecting over 50 000 participants across all the provinces. It is over three days and by Thursday we would have gained full momentum. There would be no industry action at all. So, everybody will be offline come the 24th. Whether you are Uber, Bolt, Uber Eats, Mr Delivery, there will be no food and parcel delivery, no shuttle service. We are saying they can no longer profit at the cost of our exploitation,” says Mbhelengwa.
The regulation of ehailing services is an urgent tasks that we we are giving attention to; I’ve shared this previously and met on numerous occasions with e-hailing reps. The National Land Transport Amendment Bill is undergoing parliamentary process – it seeks to address such. https://t.co/x68cDAzKXU pic.twitter.com/VLrW3gzPVo
— FIKILE MBALULA | MR FIX (@MbalulaFikile) March 18, 2022