African National Congress (ANC) deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte says she is not concerned about the hacking of her account by unknown people.

She says the action will not distract her from doing her work and campaigning for the ANC.

Duarte was speaking at the Nomzamo Township in the Strand outside Cape Town where she was on the campaign trail.

The ANC revealed earlier on Friday that Duarte’s electronic devices had been hacked and a WhatsApp text purporting to be from her was circulated.

Duarte says: “I was alerted by Mbalula, in fact who sent me a copy of an email that was making the rounds.”

“I was alerted by Derek Hanekom who asked me if I am aware of this SMS that’s making the rounds.”

“I don’t know all of this, I am reporting it to the police and I am asking for a criminal investigation.”