Families displaced following last week’s devastating shack fire in Alexandra north of Johannesburg have started to rebuild their homes.
The Gauteng Disaster Management centre says the fire damaged about 460.
A man died on Friday after he was allegedly attacked by a group that accused him of having started the fire.
There’s been an overwhelming response from churches, NGOs and members of the public who’ve been donating clothes, food and building material to the affected families.
Head of the Gauteng Disaster Management centre, Dr Elias Sithole says, “So we have encouraged everybody to come back to their places and start to rebuild there. Everybody now is back on site and they are rebuilding there. We will now and then assist if there’s a need for accommodation.”
Watch related video: