• News
  • Sport
  • TV
  • Radio
  • Education
  • TV Licences
  • Contact Us

For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

No Result
View All Result
  • SOUTH AFRICA
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORT
  • AFRICA
  • WORLD
  • SCI-TECH
  • LIFESTYLE
  • FEATURES
  • OPINION
Home Business

De Ruyter says Eskom has replaced managers not adhering to SOPs

8 June 2021, 12:41 PM  |
Ditaba Tsotetsi Ditaba Tsotetsi |  @SABCNews
De Ruyter says aging infrastructure and lack of maintenance in the past remain some of the power utility's biggest challenges to keep the lights on in the country

De Ruyter says aging infrastructure and lack of maintenance in the past remain some of the power utility's biggest challenges to keep the lights on in the country

Image: Reuters

De Ruyter says aging infrastructure and lack of maintenance in the past remain some of the power utility's biggest challenges to keep the lights on in the country

Eskom CEO André de Ruyter says the power utility has acquired the services of the best experts within Eskom to help with operations excellence.  Interviewed on the new SABC news programme, The Watchdog last night, De Ruyter says some managers have been replaced for failing to adhere to standard operating procedures at Eskom.

He says inefficiencies combined with aging infrastructure and poor maintenance in the past have contributed to the continuing power outages in the country.

“We have also I think managed to focus quite a lot on operations excellence. We have acquired the services of the best experts you can find inside Eskom. They are now being deployed to the power stations where they can apply their expertise to particular fills, and they can assist power station managers to ensure that each and every one of the elements is being attended to.”

Dealing with constant power outages

De Ruyter says aging infrastructure and lack of maintenance in the past remain some of the power utility’s biggest challenges to keep the lights on in the country.

He says this will continue to negatively affect communities unless efforts are made to redress the situation.

De Ruyter says there are measures in place to deal with the constant power outages.

“We are also focusing on maintenance. We have implemented maintenance programmes with far greater rigger than we have previously done. We are sticking to our maintenance schedule very rigorously. I think in the past that was part of the reason why our kit is in such a poor state. We did not adhere to those maintenance schedules and of course when you postpone a service on your car, it keeps running for a while, eventually, lack of maintenance will catch up with you.”

The Watchdog speaks to De Ruyter: 

Share article
Tags: EskomLoad sheddingAndre de Ruyter
Previous Post

Austria will fancy their chances of advancing beyond to Last 16 – Group C Preview

Next Post

Ukraine will hope hope to continue Euro qualifiers form – Group C Preview

Related Posts

[File Image] Farm workers busy at work.

Farmers worried rain will negatively affect their output harvesting season

28 June 2022, 4:28 AM
File image: A man walks past electricity pylons in Soweto, South Africa.

Employees at Eskom powers stations in Mpumalanga continue with their strike

27 June 2022, 10:51 PM
Power lines connect in a station.

Eskom’s rolling blackouts may worsen at short notice: Eskom

27 June 2022, 7:17 PM
The Liquor Traders Association says businesses are putting their financial interests ahead of the lives of children

Liquor traders urged not to chase profit over safety of their customers: NLTA

27 June 2022, 12:21 PM
A Ryanair plane prepares to take off from Lisbon Humberto Delgado Airport on the first of three days cabin crew strike in Lisbon, Portugal, June 24, 2022.

Ryanair says less than 2% of flights affected by strike

27 June 2022, 2:07 AM
[File Image] South African bank notes.

Rand strengthens as dollar slides, stocks jump

25 June 2022, 4:46 AM
Next Post
Ukraine's new national team shirt emblazoned with a map of Ukraine that includes Crimea unveiled on June 6, ahead of Euro 2020, is seen in a picture published June 6, 2021 on the Facebook page of the head of the Ukrainian football association. Courtesy Facebook@ Andrii Pavelko via REUTERS

Ukraine will hope hope to continue Euro qualifiers form - Group C Preview

Most Viewed

  • 24hrs
  • Week
  • Month
  • EMS says fire at Bree Street Taxi Rank in Johannesburg has been extinguished
  • The public has until 18 May to make submissions on Icasa’s regulations for extension of expiry period for data, airtime
  • ANC NEC expected to hold a special meeting on Sunday
  • Eastern Cape flood victims plead for support as access to food, services remains difficult
  • Amathole Regional Secretary elated to have corruption charges against him dropped
  • East London police search for clues that led to tavern death; calls to revoke tavern’s licence 
  • UPDATE: At least 17 people killed in an East London tavern stampede
  • South Africans no longer required to wear face masks indoors
  • E Cape Liquor Board says Enyobeni tavern owner will face criminal charges
  • Zulu Royal Palace abuzz as King Misuzulu’s cleansing ceremony continues
  • East London police search for clues that led to tavern death; calls to revoke tavern’s licence 
  • UPDATE: At least 17 people killed in an East London tavern stampede
  • Mosimane alleges sabotage from CAF President Patrice Motsepe
  • SANTACO and NTA calls on COSATU to join the national shutdown over the hiking fuel prices
  • NTA yet to decide whether to support calls for national shutdown amid fuel price hikes

LATEST

[File Image] Farm workers busy at work.
  • Business

Farmers worried rain will negatively affect their output harvesting season


Cocaine is displayed to journalists after being seized by Guinea-Bissau's judicial police in the capital Bissau, March 21, 2012.
  • Africa

Drug use high in West and Central Africa, trafficking funds conflict: UN


Workers pressure wash the logo of NASA on the Vehicle Assembly Building before SpaceX will send two NASA astronauts to the International Space Station aboard its Falcon 9 rocket, at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, US, May 19, 2020.
  • Sci-tech

NASA to launch first rocket from a commercial spaceport in Australia


[File Image] A charred car is seen in front of an apartment building destroyed during Ukraine-Russia conflict in the besieged southern port city of Mariupol, Ukraine March 30, 2022.
  • World
  • Russia, Ukraine conflict

‘At least 13 killed in Russian missile strike on shopping mall’


Former FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke leaves the Swiss Federal Criminal Court (Bundesstrafgericht) in Bellinzona, Switzerland, September 14, 2020.
  • Sport

Ex-FIFA exec Valcke to appeal bribery conviction


Models present creations by designer Hedi Slimane as part of his Spring/Summer 2023 Menswear collection show for fashion house Celine during Men's Fashion Week in Paris, France June 26, 2022.
  • Lifestyle

Celine closes Paris Fashion Week with bare-chested models and dazzling blazers


Weather

  • About the SABC
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs
  • Advertise
  • Disclaimer
  • Site Map

SABC © 2022

No Result
View All Result
  • SOUTH AFRICA
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORT
  • AFRICA
  • WORLD
  • SCI-TECH
  • LIFESTYLE
  • FEATURES
  • OPINION

© 2022

Previous Austria will fancy their chances of advancing beyond to Last 16 – Group C Preview
Next Ukraine will hope hope to continue Euro qualifiers form – Group C Preview