The Metro in eThekwini says in their area alone the damage from the floods this week is estimated to be about R757 million so far. The municipality is among the hardest hit areas in the province.
Several services have been temporarily suspended. There are more rains forecast for this weekend.
The eThekwini Municipality says it has established 17 shelters to house more than 2 000 displaced persons. After rains and winds cut rendered several areas inaccessible, about 60% of these areas are now accessible by public transport.
The municipality says its engineers continue to work to clear routes to allow critical water tankers to areas experiencing water shortages.
An aerial view of the damage that as been caused by the floods
Increasing number of deaths
KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala says the death toll from the floods that have ravaged his province – particularly the eThekwini Metro has risen sharply to 341.
Zikalala was giving an update on the situation. He says more than 40 700 people have been affected by the flooding and that 248 schools have been damaged.
He has thanked President Cyril Ramaphosa and Co-operative Governance Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma for their interventions to assist the province which has been declared a disaster area.
President Cyril Ramaphosa visited the province on Wednesday:
Unfortunately despite the high number of deaths, the eThekwini Municipality says due to flooding, the city is unable to accept requests for burial until the situation normalises.