The High Court in East London has dismissed the DA’s application for leave to appeal the judgment against the party to pay damages to former member, Ntombenhle Rulumeni.
She sued the DA for R10-million after the party interviewed her in the toilets of the East London golf club in 2016 for a council position.
Rulumeni says her dignity was undermined when the job interview was conducted in toilet.
Last year, the court ordered the DA to pay her damages.
East London High Court dismisses DA’s application for leave to appeal judgement against party to pay damages to former member, Ntombenhle Rulumeni. Rulumeni sued DA for R10-million after party interviewed her in toilets of the East London golf club in 2016 for a council position.
— SAfm news (@SAfmnews) September 17, 2020
The DA applied for leave to appeal the judgment, but the High Court found that an appeal had no reasonable chance of success and the application was dismissed with costs.
Rulumeni’s legal representative, Bulwana Bangani, says his client is extremely happy with the latest development, but the legal process is still not complete.
“What we will be doing is to await the period for the defendant to take the matter further, once that period has lapsed, then we will go further to get the court to deal with the question of the general damages so the amount payable to the client can be determined by the court.”
Meanwhile, DA Eastern Cape leader, Nqaba Bhanga, says they respect the court’s decision.
“We will then take over this issue to the federal executive committee to look into what happens going forward.”