The Communication Workers Union (CWU) says it will engage with the SABC about the increased number of positive COVID-19 cases at the public broadcaster.

On Wednesday night, the SABC confirmed six recent cases of the coronavirus at three of its offices – Auckland Park, Sea Point and Port Elizabeth.

This comes as South Africa has so far recorded 37 525 positive cases, and recoveries stand at 19,682 with 792 deaths.

The video below is reporting on the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in SA:

CWU secretary-general Aubrey Tshabalala says “CWU is highly concerned about the growing numbers of SABC workers that are testing positive for COVID-19. We believe that the easing down of the lockdown rules, may have the effect on this growing number.”

“Since the country is now on Level 3, this has the potential of exposing essential workers of being more vulnerable to this virus. Our move as a union, we will be engaging the management of SABC in our weekly COVID-19 meetings on Friday. We must look at the workers’ mobility to an from work,” explains Tshabalala.

Precautionary measures

The SABC said the latest cases were found in the last five days.

According to the public broadcaster, there have been four previous cases.

Acting SABC spokesperson Mmoni Seapolelo says precautionary measures have been put into place.

“The SABC can confirm 6 cases of COVID-19, at our Sea Point, Port Elizabeth and Auckland Park offices. As a precautionary measure, all SABC protocols as per the Department of Health directives have been implemented including employees occupying the offices being advised to self-isolate. Management has put in place business continuity measures and employees will continue to discharge their responsibilities remotely whilst in isolation.”

In the video below, the SABC confirms news of the latest cases: