The Correctional Services Department says it is appalled by the images of former president Jacob Zuma circulating on social media showing him being admitted at a correctional centre.
In a statement, the department says the images were stolen from a camera of the official who had been assigned to take photos for institutional filing purposes.
Deaprtment spokesperson, Singabakho Nxumalo, says a criminal case has been opened after a camera SD card, containing the images was stolen. Nxumalo says the matter is highly sensitive and is being investigated by both SAPS and the department. He says the official involved has also been contemplated with a suspension notice.
Nxumalo has urged people to refrain from sharing the images.
A criminal case has been opened after images surfaced of former President Jacob Zuma inside the Escourt Correctional Centre. Correctional Services says the photos were stolen from an SD camera card used to take the photos for institutional filing purposes.#SABCNEWS pic.twitter.com/UG0qYu1Ubh
— Chriselda ‘Babes We Ndaba’ Lewis (@Chriseldalewis) July 8, 2021
Zuma handed himself over the to police on Wednesday night, more than half an hour before the police deadline to take him into custody expired. He is currently serving 15 months in jail but Justice and Correctional Services Minister, Ronald Lamola, says he will should be out after three months and three weeks.
More on Lamola’s assertions in the video below: