The Bloemfontein Regional Court is on Tuesday expected to deliver a verdict in the bail application of a man and his son who are accused of the rape of a minor.
The court heard that a 44-year-old businessman and his son raped a 16-year-old girl who visited their house with her parents in Bloemfontein.
The incident allegedly happened in August 2023. It was reported to the police three days later.
Both the accused intend to pleaded not guilty to the charges.
In Limpopo, a 35-year-old man was arrested for allegedly raping a 12-year-old girl at Masodi informal settlement in Mokopane, in Limpopo. He will appear before the Mahwelereng Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.
Police spokesperson, Malesela Ledwaba says the man allegedly dragged the girl to his house and raped her last week.
Ledwaba says the suspect went on the run after the incident, but he handed himself over to the police on Sunday.
He says, “The mother of the victim was informed about the ordeal last week Thursday, she immediately reported the matter to police who commenced with the search for the known suspect the suspect evaded arrest and went to Lephalale to hide until he handed himself to police accompanied by a relative on Sunday.”
Last month, Residents of Mqhekezweni, outside Mthatha in the Eastern Cape, urged the government to intervene as crime levels continue to rise, especially against women:
Additional reporting by Bonnie Makgopa