The State Capture Commission has welcomed the Constitutional Court judgment, ordering former president Jacob Zuma to appear before the inquiry.
In a statement, the Commission says the ruling upholds the rule of law and emphasises that no one is above the law.
“It is also of great importance that the Court has made it clear that in proceedings of the Commission a witness has no right to remain silent and has emphasised that a witness who invokes the privilege against self-incrimination must demonstrate how an answer to the question asked would breach the privilege and that there are sufficient
grounds that, in answering the question, the witness will incriminate himself or herself in the Commission of a specified crime,” the statement reads.
— State Capture Commission (@StateCaptureCom) January 29, 2021
Reaction to ConCourt ruling on Zuma’s appearance at State Capture:
The former president has also been ordered to pay the costs incurred by the Commission and two counsels in the case.
The Commission says it will take steps to get the judgment and Constitutional Court order served on Zuma.
Zuma’s lawyers are yet to respond to the court order.
The former president has largely been uncooperative with the State Capture Commission. Last year, he walked out without the permission of the presiding officer when his application for Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo’s recusal failed. He then took the recusal matter on appeal.
The Commission wants Zuma to appear before it in order to answer to allegations levelled against him by over 30 witnesses.
Testimony about SSA private protection force, allegedly established after Zuma became president in 2009:
The governing ANC recalled Zuma, a year before the end of his term in 2018. The move was due to growing public discontent with his presidency amid claims of corruption and the weakening of state institutions, including the country’s prosecuting unit, the NPA.