Kaizer Chiefs defeated Golden Arrows 3-0 in their Nedbank Cup last 32 clash played at the FNB Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

After a cagey opening, in which both teams kept things tight, the first opportunity fell to Chiefs when Willard Katsande headed a corner-kick from Siphelele Ntshangase wide of goal.

A few minutes later, Wiseman Meyiwa tried his luck with a shot from distance, but his effort was saved by Arrows goalkeeper Maximilian Mbaeva. Chiefs striker Leonardo Castro showed his dexterity when his quick feet carved open a chance, but, again, Mbaeva was equal to the task with a good stop.

But it wasn’t all one-way traffic as Arrows, too, had their moments at the other end. The tricky Kudakwashe Mahachi was in on goal in the 15th minute, but stabbed his attempt narrowly wide. Three minutes later, the Durban team suffered a huge blow when the influential Mahachi succumbed to injury and had to be replaced by Nduduzo Sibiya.

Arrows had fantastic opportunity to edge ahead in the 38th minute when Velemseni Ndwandwe’s shot looked headed for the net, only for Chiefs goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune to intervene with an acrobatic tip over the bar.

Eight minutes into the second, though, Chiefs took the lead when Ryan Moon pounced to stab in when the ball rolled loose after a corner-kick. Moments later, Moon could have doubled the Soweto side’s advantage, but this time his attempt hit the woodwork.

Soon after, Arrows should really have equalised through Knox Mutizwa, but, again, it was that man Khune to the rescue, keeping his team’s lead in tact with a great save.

In the 72nd minute, Chiefs took off Castro and brought on Bernard Parker. The substitution paid immediate dividends when Parker latched on to a long ball and beat the on-rushing Mbaeva for cool finish into an empty net.

Six minutes before full-time, Amakhosi made it 3-0 with a goal from Joseph Molangoane.

While Arrows tried their best, in the end it was Chiefs’ clinical finishing that ensured they go through to the last 16 of the Nedbank Cup.