Three children and an adult have died in a multiple shack fire incident last night, at the Marathon Informal settlement in Germiston, Ekurhuleni. The children aged nine, seven and two, as well as a 43-year-old woman, all burned beyond recognition.
Several families have also been displaced after their shacks were completely destroyed by the blaze. The cause of the fire is believed to have been a paraffin stove which was left unattended.
Ekhuruleni Emergency Services Spokesperson, William Ntladi, “On search and rescue, we found the three bodies of the three siblings who were in the shack at the time of the fire aged between 9 and and 2 and one other body of a female adult found in another shack. So, the fire is extinguished as we speak. The actual cause of the fire is alleged to have been a paraffin stove which was left unattended.”
Meanwhile, the City of Cape Town says its Fire and Rescue Service has responded to over 22 000 emergency calls in the last year.
The bulk of these were fire-related while other incidents included motor vehicle crashes and medical emergencies.
Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security, JP Smith, says they’ll be opening about 18 fire stations to the public across Cape Town on Wednesday to observe International Firefighters’ Day.
“Our firefighters not only do long hours in unbearable heat, but they provide an indispensable service crucial to the safety and security of all of our residents. I want to remind residents that these men and women put their lives on the line selflessly and they are there to save the very lives of people who attack them and their equipment. Despite the challenges they continue to report for duty.”
Fire at Langa informal settlement leaves over 1 200 displaced: