Police Minister Bheki Cele says the deployment of the army to gang-ridden areas of the Western Cape is a temporary arrangement. On Sunday, Cele addressed the community of Philippi East on the Cape Flats where 11 people were killed last week.
Two others lost their lives in Hanover Park.
Cele says he will not reveal more details about Operation Prosper. He says soldiers will be deployed to the Cape Flats to assist the police.
“ We need to sustain going forward and the police will have to do that. The army cannot be permanent here. The only call is that the communities will have to work with the police. The community has asked for the presence of the army. The army works under the command of the police,” says Cele.
Cele was accompanied by National Police Commissioner Khehla Sitole, where they interacted with community members. Cele was briefed about the impact of the recent efforts to curb criminality.
Cele used the gathering to also highlight that more than 140 people have been arrested for various crimes in Phillipi East in Cape Town since the deployment of a specialised police unit last week. He also confirmed that the army has arrived in the province and will be deployed to the Cape Flats soon to fight gangsterism.
During the two day summit, residents of Philippi on the Cape Flats have highlighted the need for collaboration between the police and community in order to fight crime. The township is still reeling after the killing of 11 people last weekend.
The police ministry has since heeded the call to deploy more police and the army to maintain law and order in gang-ridden areas.