Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma says the body of the person that was swept by floodwaters in Centurion south of Pretoria, has washed up. She added that another person has been electrocuted.
The Minister and Gauteng Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs MEC Lebogang Maile visited Mamelodi east of Pretoria earlier on Tuesday and addressed the media.
Over 900 displaced people have been accommodated in various community halls and churches as hundreds of shacks in the Eerste Fabrieke informal settlement were swept away.
Dlamini-Zuma says government will assist with blankets, healthcare, and try to relocate those who remain in flooded areas.
Meanwhile, the South African Weather Service has forecast more wet weather conditions, compounded by thunderstorms in some parts of Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal.
Forecaster Mkhushulwa Msimanga says the rain is expected to subside on Thursday.
“ I must indicate that we’ve issued a severe thunderstorm warning over the central part of North West, going to the central and western part of the Free State during the course of this afternoon and evening. I must also indicate that the situation might start improving tomorrow where we are expecting only isolated thunderstorms in parts of Limpopo and Gauteng, Mpumalanga as well as KwaZulu-Natal but with scattered showers are possible mainly along the coast. But the situation will start improving from tomorrow.”