For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by SABC (Page 16)

Author Archives: SABC

Langelihle Mnguni
Child minder who allegedly killed toddler to appear in court
8 November 2019, 8:21 AM

A child minder accused of killing a toddler left in her care at the baby’s home in Daveyton on Gauteng’s Eastrand is expected to apply for bail in the Benoni Magistrate’s court on Friday morning.

Mannana Celinah Tsabane is accused of the murder of 20-month-old Langelihle Mnguni whose body was found inside one of the rooms in the house in October.

It is alleged that the baby was strangled.

Langelihle’s parents Lerato Mnguni and Sihle Tshabalala spoke to reporters outside court on Wednesday after Tsabane’s case was postponed.

They said they want justice for their little boy.

Mnguni says, “Yes it’s the court proceedings unfortunately you can’t speed up the process but we are hoping justice will prevail. I never thought something like this would happen to me as Langa was my only child, my first child – I am really shocked of what has happened.”

 

WATCH BELOW:

Zuma loses appeal in Hanekom defamation case
7 November 2019, 1:34 PM

Former president Jacob Zuma has lost his appeal in the Derek Hanekom defamation suit.

Judge Dhaya Pillay made the ruling in the High Court in Pietermaritzburg on Thursday.

In September, Pillay had ordered Zuma to remove a tweet from his social media account in which he called the former Tourism Minister a known enemy agent and also ordered him to issue a public apology to Hanekom.

Earlier this week Zuma’s legal team argued that the tweet was fair comment in the context of a political debate.

Hanekom’s legal team insisted that Zuma should prove his allegation that the former minister was an enemy agent.

WATCH

Andile Mngxitama
BLF to host conference to chart way forward
7 November 2019, 11:35 AM

Leader of Black First Land First (BLF) Andile Mngxitama says he will not back down from convening a special policy conference in a bid to map out a plan to counter the de-registration of the movement.

Mngxitama said the Electoral Commission of South Africa’s (IEC) decision to have the BLF de-registered is aimed at denying indigenous people the ownership of land.

In June 2019, the Electoral Court ruled in favour of the Freedom Front Plus (FF Plus) to have the BLF officially scrapped from the list of the country’s political parties.

The IEC said this was based on its constitution which states that it may not register a political party that excludes membership on the basis of race, colour or ethnicity.

Mngxitama says they have the right to exist.

“The decision of the Electoral Court is to deny us leave to appeal, but it does not mean we do not have a right to go to the Constitutional court. We could use that option, we are just opting not to exercise that right, we are not going to appeal, instead we are holding a policy conference, month end in Durban where a way forward for our movement will be chartered…”

“We will not compromise on the land question, they want us out from the political system, we will not make that easy for them,” added Mngxitama.

Soweto residents hand over man who allegedly killed wife and children
7 November 2019, 10:54 AM

Soweto residents have handed over a man believed to be responsible for the deaths of a 47 year old woman and her two children, to Moroko police station.

Police say after the community handed the man after he led police to a bush in Zondi near Jabulani Hostel, where the body of his wife was found, and later to the shallow grave where his children were buried in Mofolo Park.

The man (aged 48) is believed to be the husband and father of the deceased.

Police spokesperson Mathapelo Peters said, “Police have since arrested the man on three charges of murder and he is expected to appear before the Protea Magistrate Court on Friday.”

Gauteng Police Commissioner Lieutenant General Elias Mawela thanked the community for the responsible manner in which they handled the situation after finding the suspect.

Mawela also condemned the gruesome incident and assured the community of Gauteng that police will continue to prioritise the investigation of cases of violence against women and children.

Calling for women to be included in peace resolution
6 November 2019, 6:55 PM

Day three of the African Women in Dialogue has put the spotlight on Women, Peace and Security.

Over a thousand women from across the continent are attending the week long conference in Boksburg, East of Johannesburg.

Watch video below for more:

Weather

 

SABC © 2020