JMPD to probe video of woman screaming while blood sample is taken
8 July 2019, 9:40 PM
Disturbing footage has emerged showing a woman being forcibly held down by a male Johannesburg Metro Police officer, and then screaming while a nurse draws blood from the woman against her will.
The video was taken at the weekend at the Douglasdale Police Station and has since gone viral on social media.
JMPD Spokesperson Wayne Minnaar says although the police officers acted well within their rights, an investigation will be conducted to determine the level of force used as well as the circumstances surrounding the incident.
“Section 37 of the CPA is clear to be able to restrain an individual for the drawing of a blood sample or a breath sample in the case of drunken driving. There will be an investigation to determine the level of force used. We don’t know what was the circumstances. The resistance of the drawing of blood is not something new. It just so happens that this particular incident was captured on video,” explains Minnaar.
Watch interview below for more on the story:
Nigerian legend expects fireworks when Bafana face Super Eagles
8 July 2019, 8:26 PM
With Bafana Bafana playing Nigeria in the last eight of the Africa Cup of Nations, Nigerian Legend Jay Jay Okocha is hoping to see an entertaining match.
Bafana beat Nigeria in the qualifiers of the Afcon in 2017 before drawing with them in the return match.
Okocha says that he hopes to see a great match on Wednesday.
“I’m hoping to see a good match. It’s always a good contest between Nigeria and Bafana. It’s a healthy rivalry and what a game to look forward to and Afcon in a neutral ground and for me, I expect to see a game that is a classic and an advert for African football,” says Okocha.
Du Plessis attributes poor World Cup showing to inconsistency
8 July 2019, 8:01 PM
Proteas Captain Faf du Plessis has attributed his side’s poor performance at the World Cup to lack of consistency. The Proteas managed just three wins in nine matches with victories coming against Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and Australia.
It was the Proteas’ worst performance at a World Cup since the 2003 tournament on home soil.
The South African cricket team arrived back in the country earlier on Monday after the dismal showing in England and Wales.
“We had small contributions from different guys through the tournament but only really up until the last two games that we had huge impact on players making performances. Only one hundred scored in the entire series. If you look at the last two games almost as a blue print when you do those things we win games of cricket no matter how strong the opposition are,” says du Plessis.
The Proteas struggled to get runs on the scoreboard, with du Plessis being the only player to reach a century against Australia in their last game of the 2019 ICC World Cup.
The captain says that before they departed for the global spectacle, they understood that they didn’t have the strongest batting line-up.
“We thought we had the best bowling attack and that was the one thing we spoke of that we knew. We knew our limitations and knew our strengths as a team and obviously, the last year, consistency from a batting unit was not there. That’s why I’m saying that our hopes were not on putting 350 runs every game as a batting unit our hopes were on bowling teams out for 280 then chasing it down,” says du Plessis.
Proteas Coach Ottis Gibson says he was optimistic ahead of the 2019 ICC World Cup. However, they struggled to recover from early injury setbacks in the tournament.
Hashim Amla, Lungi Ngidi and David Muller all suffered injuries in the opening matches.
“I felt like certainly, from a batting point of view, we had batsmen that if they click could put runs on the board but ultimately once we didn’t have that world class attack anymore, then it became obviously a very difficult situation,” explains Gibson.
Watch media briefing with with Proteas:
Natu president fears for his life
8 July 2019, 7:40 PM
The National Teachers Union (Natu) has made startling allegations of a plot to have the union’s president Allan Thompson either criminally charged or assassinated.
The union would not say who is behind the plot.
Natu briefed the media on what they called continuous attempts to clean up the corrupt ridden KwaZulu-Natal department of education.
The union claims some government officials are out to eliminate its president – a plot to destroy the organisation.
The union claims the plot was confirmed by an intelligence source and an official of the provincial department of education.
Natu claims their problems emanate from their 200 million sanitary pads exposé. Following the exposé, then Natu deputy president Alan Thompson was shot. A large amount of money and document was allegedly taken from his car.
Thompson says, “We have received information from very reliable sources which include our own intelligence which also include senior government officials that I must run for my life, because there is a decision that has been taken at a political level to eliminate me.”
Thompson claims the information in their disposal also reveals that if attempts to kill him fail, he must be arrested.
In 2018, Thompson survived an alleged assassination attempt in Durban. Thompson says police have not mentioned anything about investigating him.
It’s been over a year since Thompson’s first alleged assassination attempt. No arrests have been made.
The union is adamant the assassination threats will not deter it from exposing corruption.
EFF F State seeks reinstatement of fraud, corruption cases since 1994
8 July 2019, 4:15 PM
The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) in the Free State says it’s seeking legal advice on the reinstatement of fraud and corruption cases that have taken place since 1994.
Provincial Party Chairperson, Mandisa Makheseni says the EFF will also launch a fraud and corruption hotline for communities.
The party has called on the provincial government to establish a commission of inquiry into in municipalities and provincial departments.
“Those people today, they are members of the Parliament. They were doing wrong things. We are just asking legal services … they must advise us and give us direction (on) how to deal with those cases because those people, they are occupying serious positions without anything. Those cases, they must be reinstated because now it’s 10 years ago … 20 years ago this thing happened. There’s no accountability of what happened with those cases,” explains Makheseni.
Meanwhile, the Democratic Alliance (DA) says it does not support the idea of having commission of inquiry in the province.
“The reason why we are not supporting the provincial commission of inquiry is because it empowers the provincial premier to be the one to constitute the panel to sit on that commission. So, as a result, you will be reporting to the very same people who are also captured. So, that’s why we don’t support the provincial commission of inquiry. We’d rather the Judge Zondo Commission because we believe that is the only way that you’re going to get to the bottom of each and everything, because currently (as) I’m speaking and municipalities are failing. There’s no finance. There’s (no) service delivery. There’s a collapse of everything in the Free State. So, the Judge Zondo Commission is the one we are hoping for,” says Provincial Party leader, Patricia Kopane.