Home » Articles Posted by Chuma Nobanda (Page 18)

Author Archives: Chuma Nobanda

Enoch Mpianzi
Police confirm Mpianzi case referred to provincial prosecutor
7 March 2020, 9:55 PM

North West police say the matter of Parktown Boys High learner Enoch Mpianzi has been referred to provincial prosecutors for a decision on whether or not to charge the resort where he drowned during a school camp earlier this year.

A forensic report released earlier this week recommended that disciplinary action be taken against some teachers and the school principal. It revealed that recklessness and negligence by both the Nyati Bush Lodge and educators contributed to the 13-year old Mpianzi’s drowning.

North West Police Spokesperson Adele Myburgh says no one was held liable for three previous deaths at the resort.

“We had three other inquest dockets investigated at the Nyathi Bush Lodge that was over a period, from 2002 up until 2010, and the last incident obviously this year in 2020. So, yes, I can confirm that there was a case opened, and the other three cases the court made a decision that the children died due to drowning and that no person could be made liable for their deaths,” says Myburgh.

Parents expressed shock after release of Enoch’s report:

The report found that the educators who accompanied the learners on a camp at the Nyati Bush Lodge were negligent and failed to fulfill their duties.

It recommends that disciplinary action be taken against them and the principal, Malcolm Williams, who has been placed on suspension.

Mpianzi died after a makeshift raft, he and his fellow pupils had built, capsized in the Crocodile River. These parents are not impressed.

“It hurts me that when teachers leave with children, they end up neglecting the children. We assume that when they leave with their teachers, they are safe and are supervised because when they enter the water, whose mistake is it? It’s the teachers’! It doesn’t sit well with me. I’m a parent to a child,” says one parent.

Another one adds, “Sometimes the mistake is government’s. The government must hire people accordingly; not just hire anyone to be a teacher. Government is also to blame.”

“The teachers are to blame because if they are travelling with children, they have to ensure that the children are safe and there are no problems. As a parent, when you pay school fees, you assume they take care of everything as well as safety,” insists another concerned parent.

Release report of Enoch Mpianzi:

Report finds that Parktown Boys’ High School staff, including the headmaster, must be held accountable:

Lawyer Peter Harris has presented the report commissioned by the Gauteng Department of Education on Wednesday night. The report has been received by Mpianzi’s family as well as the school and union representatives.

The report has described the Nyati Bush Camp’s version of the drowning as a ‘disgraceful falsehood’.

Harris says the report is clear.

“So, we find that there’s negligence on the part of the school for not having the accurate and correct roll call list of all attendees at that camp, and that the relevant educators should be held responsible and be charged and that includes the headmaster as the ultimate Commander in Chief or the CEO of the school. The fact is that, if the correct roll call list had been used they would have realised 18 hours earlier that a boy was missing”

The report also found that teachers were negligent for failing to call off the river activity when they realised the learners had not been issued with life jackets.

“Our finding is that they quite clearly. They should have been issued life jackets. When we put that to Knoetze of the camp, he said ‘we only issue life jackets for people who go down the river and because this took place in shallow water, we didn’t think that they should have life jackets’. But we know it didn’t take place in shallow water. We know it took place in the river. So, we asked him how many life jackets he had at the camp? He said 12. Now there were 204 learners. We find that the camp was reckless in the extreme in allowing boys to go into the river in those conditions.”

Plans underway to secure accommodation to quarantine Wuhan repatriates
7 March 2020, 8:17 PM

Health Minister Zweli Mkhize says government is sourcing suitable accommodation facilities all over the country where the South Africans, who will be repatriated from the Chinese city of Wuhan, will be quarantined. More than 150 South Africans are currently living in lock-down conditions in the city which is the epicentre of the worldwide coronavirus outbreak.

Mkhize reiterated that none of them has been diagnosed with the virus or exhibited any symptoms. They will, however, be quarantined for 21 days after their arrival.

Mkhize said the facilities that are being considered include hotels and lodges in remote areas.

He has assured the public that the quarantine facility will have very strict military security parameters.

The South Africans are expected to be evacuated next week in an operation that will involve the South African Defence Force (SANDF), the Department of International Relations and Chinese authorities.

Mkhize has also warned against people attempting to gain access to the quarantined zone where South Africans who will be evacuated from China will be accommodated.

He says 151 South Africans out of 201 living in the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicentre of the coronavirus (Covid-19) have indicated their intention to return home.

In the video below, the Health Department says the process of identifying facilities to accommodate South African nationals to be evacuated from Wuhan City in China, is almost concluded:

Meanwhile, residents of Thaba Nchu in the Free State have mixed reactions following rumours that their town has been identified as a possible coronavirus quarantine site for the 184 South Africans who will be repatriated from China later this month.

Some residents have expressed concern while others feel that they must come home.

“I’m not feeling for those people who come from China to camp in Thaba Nchu because there’s no evidence to say it’s going to be a government place or in a private place, which means they are going to make some money for that person who’s going to accept people from China. I’m not already accepting that question. I’m sorry we can’t,” says one resident.

“I think it is appropriate for the Thaba Nchu residents to come here and reside wherever they are going to camp because after all they belong here, and they are South Africans. So, why do we have to like abandon them and make them feel like they are outsiders and everything? I feel like they should come here and reside somewhere. They should be kept and be cured, I think so,” says another.

Protect yourself

The graphic below gives simple steps to take in order to reduce the risk of infection.

Morocco less anxious about coronavirus
7 March 2020, 6:09 PM

There’s less anxiety about the coronavirus in Morocco, while some African countries are reeling after confirmed cases of the deadly virus. While awareness campaigns have been intensified throughout the continent, it’s business as usual in Casablanca.

The country has two confirmed COVID19 cases.

On Friday Cameroon became the latest country on the continent to confirm a positive test, bringing the number of cases on the continent to 28.

As the number of cases in Africa continues to rise, residents in Casablanca say they have little to worry about. Despite the country recording two confirmed COVID19 cases, they believe they are safe in their city.

Two days in the North African country and not a single person on streets wears medical masks or any protective gear.

Loading...

Loading…

Proteas
Proteas claim clean sweep ODI series against Australia
7 March 2020, 6:06 PM

The South African cricket team secured a 3-0 series white wash after beating Australia by six wickets in the third and final one-day international in Potchefstroom.

Set a target of 255 for victory, the Proteas hit the winnings run with 27 deliveries remaining.

Meanwhile, Proteas opener, Janneman Malan, has been included in the squad that will travel to India for their upcoming three-match, ODI series.

South Africa won the toss and sent Australia in to bat first, a decision that paid early dividends when Anrich Nortje got rid of David Warner for four in the fifth over.

Steve Smith departed not long after that, trapped leg before wicket by Andile Phehlukwayo for 20 and debutant, Daryn Dupavillon, joined forces with David Miller to get rid of Aaron Finch for 22. Australia were on 55 for three.

The Proteas’ bowlers were on point, and the team’s fielding was superb, but Marnus Labuschagne was outstanding. While wickets were tumbling around him, Labuschagne kept his cool and scored his maiden ODI ton. His was the last wicket to fall out for 108 with the Australians finishing on 254 for seven.

In reply Quinton de Kock and Malan enjoyed a promising start but Josh Hazlewood struck in the 9th over, getting rid of the Proteas skipper for 26.

Moments later, Hazlewood did it again. Malan returned to the pavilion for 23, and with South Africa on 54 for two. Jon-Jon Smuts and Kyle Verreynne, however, got stuck in.

They added 96 runs for the third wicket, before Verreynne was out for 50 but Smuts continued where Verreynne left off. He hit 84 runs before he fell victim to Kane Richardson in the 43rd over.

Heinrich Klaasen and David Miller took the South Africans home. Klaasen hit the winnings runs in the 46th over and was unbeaten on 68. Miller was not out on 3 with victory by six wickets.

The South Africans will depart for India on Sunday.

EFF threatens to launch #Ramaphosa-Must-Go campaign
7 March 2020, 5:01 PM

The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is threatening to launch a campaign under the #Ramaphosa-Must-Go if government decides to sell Eskom power stations to private bidders. Ramaphosa indicated his willingness to sell power stations that would otherwise be decommissioned during an address to journalists earlier this week.

EFF spokesperson Delisile Ngwenya says if power generating units are sold off to private companies to generate power, they will mobilise rolling mass action in all provinces.

Meawhile, President Cyril Ramaphosa says that government is focusing on fixing the country’s public finances.

Reflecting on the national budget that Finance Minister Tito Mboweni delivered in Febraury, Ramaphosa says in his weekly letter that South Africa was in a precarious and unsustainable situation in which spending outstripped earning, attracting rising debt servicing costs.

Weather

 

SABC © 2020