For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Lungelo Ngcamu (Page 15)

Author Archives: Lungelo Ngcamu

TUT slams attempted rape on campus
2 May 2018, 3:33 PM

Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) has condemned the attempted rape incident on one of their campuses.

Police have confirmed that a 23-year-old suspect is expected to appear in court soon following his arrest, while attempting to sexually assault a student on Tuesday night.

The incident has drawn reaction from various stakeholders, with the Student Representative Council threatening a shutdown.

TUT spokesperson Solly Legodi says, “A female student was injured and taken to a clinic for a treatment. As TUT, we condemn the act of violence against one of our students and the university will ensure that the student receives the necessary support and counselling.”

Ndwedwe residents up in arms over service delivery
2 May 2018, 12:22 PM

Schooling and business activities have again been disrupted in Ndwedwe north of Durban due to a service delivery protest.

Angry community members, who blockaded roads with stones and burning tyres, accuse the municipality of not hiring locals as well as poor service delivery.

The protest that enters its third day is also causing problems for motorists who cannot reach their destinations.

KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson Thulani Zwane says eight people, who were arrested on charges of public violence, are due to appear in court on Wednesday.

“On Wednesday morning, we received a complaint from people who were protesting in Ndwedwe area, the police attended the scene and realised that these people were using burning tyres. Police are monitoring the situation. It is alleged that some of these people were protesting in the area and police managed to arrest eight people who are due to appear in the Ndwedwe Magistrate’s Court,” says Zwane.

Red alert in Rome ahead of Liverpool match
2 May 2018, 11:50 AM

Rome is on red alert with 3 000 police officers deployed to avoid ugly scenes during Roma’s Champions League return leg match against Liverpool at the Stadio Olimpico on Wednesday.

Liverpool supporter Sean Cox, a 53-year-old Irishman, remains in critical condition after being attacked close to Anfield by visiting supporters before last week’s semi-final, first leg.

Although Roma on Tuesday showed their support for Cox by wearing shirts bearing the words “Forza Sean” (Come on Sean) during a training session, the situation in the Italian capital remains tense.

Authorities fear rival fans could clash from Tuesday evening when many Liverpool supporters, from a total estimate of 5,000 expected to attend, begin arriving in the Italian capital.

British police are in Rome backing up their Italian counterparts with city authorities saying 1 000 officers are being deployed around the Stadio Olimpico in addition to a further 2,000 throughout the city.

Furthermore, there will be a complete alcohol ban, as well as a crackdown on fake tickets.

Merseyside Police Chief Superintendent Dave Charnock urged fans not to travel to Italy if they do not have tickets.

“If the details on your ticket and passport do not match, you will be refused entry to the ground by Italian authorities,” said Charnock.

Liverpool fans have been warned to use shuttle buses and not to leave the Stadio Olimpico on foot.

“Under no circumstances should supporters attempt to walk,” the club warned.

– ‘Stab city’ –

The club have also told fans to respect public monuments in the capital, to avoid street drinking which is prohibited, and stay clear of the Ponte Milvio  and Ponte Duca d’Aoste, two bridges near the stadium.

Fans have also been told to avoid areas of the north of the city on match day, and to expect a long wait before being allowed to leave the stadium.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp and Roma counterpart Eusebio Di Francesco both appealed for calm, as did high-profile former players from each club, Francesco Totti and Robbie Fowler.

Klopp said in his pre-match press conference: “I think we all have the same opinion that the only fight around the football game is on the pitch.

“It’s good that we spoke about it, showed Sean’s family our support but I really hope that everybody understood that tomorrow in this beautiful city, with good weather, that everyone can walk to the stadium and look forward to an intense, fantastic and very important football game.”

Di Francesco said he stood “shoulder-to-shoulder with Sean Cox and his family”.

“I’m against all forms of violence, like we all are here. Every set of supporters has some bad apples, who do things that they shouldn’t.

“All over the world, unfortunately, there are those who ruin great evenings like the first leg.

“I hope it’s an enjoyable occasion for those coming to the stadium tomorrow, that’s what I’m pleading for.”

But the bad blood between Roma and English fans goes back decades.

Liverpool’s last visit in 2001 was blighted by objects being thrown inside the stadium and stabbings.

English fans who visited for the 1984 European Cup final — where Liverpool famously beat Roma on penalties — dubbed the Italian capital “stab city”.

Middlesbrough fans were also the victims of knife attacks in 2006, while there was trouble the following year with Manchester United supporters.

Italian league probe Matuidi racist abuse claims
2 May 2018, 10:31 AM

The Italian league are investigating reports that Juventus midfielder Blaise Matuidi was the victim of racist abuse during Saturday’s Serie A game against Inter Milan at the San Siro.

Serie A disciplinary officials said Monday all three of their observers present in the San Siro heard “chants expressing racial discrimination… which lasted for a few seconds” aimed at the French international.

The chanting reportedly came from all three levels of the ‘Curva Verde’ occupied by Inter Milan fans and took place 55 minutes into the game, which Juventus won 3-2 with two goals in the final three minutes.

But before any ruling can be made officials, in accordance with rules governing discrimination in the Italian game, have to gather data to ascertain how many fans were involved.

“We must acquire the data, even an approximate estimate, on the occupancy of the sectors involved, as well as receive confirmation that the chants heard came from all three sectors of the Curva Verde, as indicated in the report,” Serie A said in a statement.

The punishment will depend on how many fans took part and how loud the chanting was, it added.

Midfielder Matuidi has been the victim of similar abuse twice this season, by fans in Verona and Cagliari.

Verona were handed a 20,000 euro ($24,000) fine and a suspended partial stadium ban, but Cagliari were not punished although the club issued an apology to the 31-year-old French player.

Matuidi, who has 64 caps for France, joined Juventus before the start of the current season from Paris Saint-Germain and has scored three times for the Italian champions.

Ancelotti turns down Italy coaching job – reports
29 April 2018, 12:23 PM

Carlo Ancelotti has turned down the offer to take over as Italy coach, according to press reports on Sunday.

Italy have been without a permanent coach since Gian Piero Ventura was sacked after the four-time champions failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time in 60 years after losing to Sweden in a two-legged playoff in November.

Ancelotti, who was sacked by Bayern Munich last September, had met with Italian Football Federation (FIGC) officials in Rome last week.

But Corriere dello Sport reported that despite the 58-year-old being offered the job he had decided to turn it down after taking a few days to consider his decision.

Ancelotti has also been linked with taking over as Arsenal manager when Arsene Wenger steps down at the end of the season.

The Italian coach, who has also managed Chelsea, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Juventus, Roma and Paris Saint-Germain, has three Champions League titles to his name as a coach. He has also won the league in Italy, France, Germany and England.

FIGC sub-commissioner Alessandro Costacurta — who was coached by Ancelotti at AC Milan in the 1980s — has been appointed to find a successor to Ventura, and has said said the deadline for the appointment remained May 20.

Among the other names being touted are Zenit St Petersburg coach Roberto Mancini, Chelsea boss Antonio Conte and former Leicester coach Claudio Ranieri, now in charge of French club Nantes.

Italy’s under-21 coach Luigi Di Biagio has been filling the position on an interim basis.

Weather

 

SABC © 2020