Western Cape company director accused of COVID-19 TERS fund fraud out on bail
18 September 2021, 11:08 AM
A director of a company based in Bredasdorp in the Western Cape has been granted bail of R5 000 by a local magistrate’s court.
64-year old Andre Appelgryn appeared in court on Friday after being arrested on charges of fraud related to the COVID-19 Temporary Employer/Employee Relief Scheme TERS funds.
Hawks Spokesperson, Zinzi Hani says last year, Appelgryn allegedly claimed TERS funds from the Labour Department on behalf of employees who were working for him, prior to the coronavirus pandemic and used the monies to service his payroll.
“Subsequently, an amount of R345 970, 20 was paid into his business account. This resulted in a joint investigation between UIF (Unemployment Insurance Fund) and the police after they realised that the TERS monies were claimed unlawfully as the workers were working through lockdown and receiving their full salaries. They were not eligible for the TERS imbursement. The matter was then reported to the Hawks for further investigation which resulted in the arrest of the accused. The accused was granted a R5 000 bail.”
UIF update on Temporary Employment Relief Scheme | Marsha Bronkhorst
Ramaphosa kicks off ANC election campaign in Soweto on Saturday
18 September 2021, 11:00 AM
African National Congress President, Cyril Ramaphosa, arrived in Soweto on Saturday morning to officially kick off the party’s election campaign.
He will lead the campaign in Meadowlands, Chiawelo and Naledi as well as hold a meeting in the Nomzamo informal settlement and Chiawelo in his capacity as party president.
Ramaphosa says the election machinery is now in place and they hope to make inroads in most municipalities.
He says the ANC is determined to overcome all the challenges it has encountered in the registration of its councillor candidates for the forthcoming local government elections. He was speaking to journalists in Soweto where he is officially kicking off the ANC election campaign
Ramaphosa will also hold community meetings at the CC Sports Ground in Chiawelo and Thokoza Park, next to the Regina Mundi Catholic Church, in Rockville.
LGE 2021 | ANC President Ramaphosa kicks off election campaign in Soweto
Readiness for the voter registration weekend on 18-19 September 2021
ANC to investigate candidates’ lists concerns
The ANC National Executive Committee has decided to pay attention to the recent disputes that its different branches, regions and provinces have launched regarding the forthcoming local government elections.
The NEC held a special meeting on Friday, in preparation for the voter registration weekend, including to listen to some of the concerns about the candidates’ lists that have been submitted to the Electoral Commission of South Africa.
In a statement, the ANC says if there is any proven foul play, in the selection of candidates who will represent the party at municipal level, those involved will be prosecuted.
The ANC NEC has announced that it will launch its election manifesto on the weekend of the 27th of this month in Pretoria – were party president, Cyril Ramaphosa will delivering the ANC’s plans, solutions and a way forward, for the local government level.
It’s been a bumpy road for the ANC building to the November 1 municipal elections. Party members have had to approach the ANC headquarters, expressing their dissatisfaction on how the candidate lists were concluded.
However, the NEC says it will continue to investigate these concerns, even after elections and those found guilty will face the full might of the law. Meanwhile, the ANC’s top leadership is on a campaign trail in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal on Saturday morning.
ANC says it’s doing all in its power to resolve concerns from its members
The ANC says it is doing all in its power to resolve the concerns that are being brought by its members.
They say the process was fraught with corruption and they are accusing their Provincial List Committees of failing to help them.
ANC Spokesperson, Pule Mabe says not voting would be detrimental to communities.
“When you don’t vote in your own ward, it is not the ANC you are dealing with. You are dealing with yourself. Because the delivery of services done through an ANC councillor impact on your own living condition,” says Mabe.
“If you are so willing that you can give away the livelihood of a community where you stay because there are disputes, then you must be comfortable being led by different people in your own community,” he adds.
Video: Mabe elaborates on the list process:
De Velliers calls on political leaders to listen to voters
18 September 2021, 9:35 AM
Former Springbok coach, Peter de Villiers , has called on all political leaders to listen to the concerns of the electorate that end up voting them into office.
He coached the Springboks from 2008 until 2011. Under his leadership, the team won 30 of their 48 matches. De Villiers says he’s concerned that many political leaders no longer listen to people from the grassroots.
“The biggest part of our conversation is – you have to listen and I think as leaders we have stopped listening to the needs of the people. Two people in one house could have different needs. I don’t think you can resolve all those problems but the guy who has to lead these should know what to do to help to resolve people’s problems. Listen to these people, and see what we can do to assist them.”
2021 LGE | GOOD party launches its election manifesto in Sandton:
Former Springbok coach Pieter de Villiers, has thrown his weight behind Patricia de Lille and #GOOD. “South Africa will be a great nation when it recognises the value of all people, irrespective of race,” he said. #ForGOOD#VoteGOODpic.twitter.com/X4LkMpMNAY
Maintenance work blamed for water shortage in Polokwane
18 September 2021, 9:05 AM
The Executive Mayor of Polokwane, in Limpopo, John Mpe, has blamed the acute water shortages in and around the city on unplanned maintenance work at the Olifantspoort water plant.
Residents have spent the week without water. Mpe says they are using water tankers to provide water to the communities.
“Challenge of water, which I must explain, that a few days ago we had to do some maintenance or unplanned maintenance from our Olifantspoort scheme. We had communicated that this will cause some inconveniences, but let me assure you that some of these inconveniences are things that we are seriously attending to,” says Mpe.
Minister Senzo Mchunu addresses the Giyani water crisis
Residents of Mageva village in Limpopo want a permanent solution to their water challenges
Residents of the water-scarce Mageva village, outside Giyani in Limpopo, are calling for a permanent solution to the area’s severe water challenges. Giyani is still without an adequate water supply despite millions of rands being spent on the Nandoni-Giyani bulk water project.
Alcohol industry expects Ramaphosa to ease restrictions
12 September 2021, 2:13 PM
The National Liquor Trade Association says it is expecting President Cyril Ramaphosa to relax the restrictions placed on the alcohol industry when he addresses the nation on Sunday.
The Association says the restaurant has been hard hit particularly by the current curfew under lockdown regulations.
The meetings reflected on the rate of COVID-19 infections as well as vaccination and assessed prevention measures in force under the adjusted Alert Level 3 of the National State of Disaster.
The Association’s convenor Lucky Ntimane says allowing patrons to buy alcohol only if they are vaccinated, would lead to a violation of people’s rights.
“We feel that this is a complex issue because if we are going to say taverns need to only allow people who have vaccinated will only be guided by policy that the Department of Health is going to take as government as well as what is the way forward in terms of vaccination are we having a mandatory vaccine, strategy as a country or it is only in public spaces but we are still waiting for government to consult with us but we still, however, think that the vaccine passport as a way to allow people to access taverns is not a way to go.”
In the video below from July 11, the alcohol industry reacts to the continued sales ban under Level 4 of the lockdown:
Western Cape Liquor Authority to conduct safety operations to prevent trauma cases
The Western Cape Minister of Community Safety, Albert Fritz, says the province’s Liquor Authority and the Compliance and Enforcement units are going to be conducting a number of operations this weekend in an effort to prevent trauma cases.
Fritz has urged residents to not drink and drive as public hospitals are under severe pressure due to increasing numbers of COVID-19 infections.
He says extra policing will be deployed to monitor compliance and ensure that citizens observe the regulations.
“It’s the end of the month and the outright ban on the purchase and transport of alcohol has been eased. Please consume alcohol responsibly. Please observe and comply with the provisions pertaining to alcohol in the Disaster Management Act,” says Ministerial Spokesperson Wade Seale.
Seale says they have seen a spike in cases and cannot afford for hospital beds to be occupied by patients presenting in trauma units with alcohol-related injuries.