For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Skhangiwe Mthiyane (Page 29)

Author Archives: Skhangiwe Mthiyane

Shudufhadzo Musida’s to represent South Africa at Miss World pageant on Thursday
12 December 2021, 10:27 AM

Shudufhadzo Musida who was crowned Miss South Africa 2020 will represent the country at the 2021 Miss World pageant in San Juan, Puerto Rico, on Thursday.

She is up against more than 100 contestants from other countries. The Musida family at Ha-Masia-ha-Vhangani outside Thohoyandou in Limpopo is excited about Miss South Africa’s journey.

Her aunt, Cecilia Musida says she has been communicating with her from Puerto Rico where she has been preparing for the big day for the past three weeks.

“As Shudu’s aunt, am very happy, I am very grateful for her. Just last week, we talked. Actually, every week I phone her. I just want to tell her that am wishing her the best and I know that she has got the potential to bring the crown back and I think next week will be celebrating that. I am very hopeful that we will be here celebrating the crown, will be here in this family. She will bring it back, I know she is focussed, she is determined.”

Musida’s brother, Maanda Fhedzisani says despite being bullied on social media during her Miss South Africa campaign last year, she triumphed.

“I feel proud of her because of what she is doing and what she is standing for and what she is constantly standing for no matter how some people can bully her or something on social media. But the way she is resistant to everything, it shows that she knows what she standing for and she is standing for mental health and for the powerhouse. I believe she will come back with the crown and she will make us proud as the family.”

Miss South Africa 2020 Shudufhadzo Musida on mental health:

 

LIVE: FW de Klerk memorial service
12 December 2021, 7:26 AM

President Cyril Ramaphosa will deliver the eulogy at the State Memorial Service for the late former President Frederik Willem de Klerk.

It will be held at one of the oldest churches in Cape Town – the Groote Kerk.

De Klerk, died aged 85 last month.

LIVE STREAM:

Nearly 30 billion rands expected to be lost this festive season due to travel bans
11 December 2021, 2:02 PM

The South African tourism industry says it could possibly lose between 20 and 30-billion-rand this festive season due to the high number of booking cancellations, following the discovery of the Omicron variant of COVID-19.

This after several countries including the United States and the United Kingdom imposed travel bans on several countries in southern Africa including South Africa.

The Tourism Business Council of South Africa says the travel bans have a detrimental effect on the region.

“From what we have seen we believe that the loss from this festive period could go to as much as 20 to 30 billion rand. Because this is the season where we see lots of international tourists coming in and going to many different places spending those dollars and pounds and really boosting our sector so it’s a big loss a loss that we can never recover so we going to have to wait for the next season and hopefully by then the world would have come to its senses to deal with the variants as we go.”

US hopes to lift southern Africa travel ban as it continues to review policy on Omicron:

SADC ambassadors lobby US govt to lift COVID-19 travel ban against eight African nations

A group of ambassadors from 16 African countries are lobbying the US government to “immediately” lift its COVID-19 travel ban against eight African nations.

In a joint statement, the ambassadors from the Southern African Development Community (SADC) argue the restrictions are unfair and negatively stigmatize the African continent.

Dozens of countries imposed a travel ban on South Africa and seven other nations after the discovery of the Omicron variant.

Contralesa condemns the travel ban imposed on SA by various Western countries

Traditional leaders organisation (Contralesa) has strongly condemned the travel ban imposed on South Africa by various Western countries because of the new COVID-19 variant.

Contralesa president, Kgosi Larmeck Mokoena says these countries are undermining Africa as a continent.

Mokoena says as Contralesa, they always encourage people to get vaccinated.

“Contralesa welcome the decision by our government to keep our country under alert Level 1, any further restrictions were going to further damage our limping and fragile economy, it was also going to increase the level of unemployment. While we agree that all South Africans must go and vaccinate, however, we have mixed feelings as to whether mandatory vaccination is the way to go. Contralesa condemns a decision by some countries who impose a travel ban to Southern countries. It is clear that this continent was targeted, We call upon these countries to review and reverse their decisions in the best interest of all of us in this continent.”

Travel bans

President Cyril Ramaphosa said that the government is deeply disappointed that several countries have issued a travel ban on South Africa after the discovery of the Omicron variant.

He says that is a clear and completely unjustified departure from the commitment that many of these
countries made at the meeting of G20 countries in Rome last month.

He adds, “They pledged at that meeting to restart international travel in a safe and orderly manner, consistent with the work of relevant international organisations such as the World Health Organisation, the International Civil Aviation Organization, the International Maritime Organization and the OECD. The G20 Rome Declaration noted the plight of the tourism sector in developing countries, and made a commitment to support a “rapid, resilient, inclusive and sustainable recovery of the tourism sector.”

Video: President’s address:

 

SANParks asks public to stop sharing gruesome rhino shooting, dehorning video
11 December 2021, 1:07 PM

The South African National Parks (SANParks) management has advised members of the public against sharing a video of a rhino that was shot and dehorned at the Kruger National Park last week.

The video which has gone viral on social media shows the rhino being shot and mutilated last Tuesday and was only discovered two days after the attack.

SANParks spokesperson Isaac Phaahla says the rhino was later put down due to the severity of its wounds.

[WARNING: GRAPHIC DETAILS FOLLOW]

“The SANParks de-horning team made a gruesome discovery on Thursday during one of their routine flights in the southern section of the Kruger National Park. They found a badly mutilated rhino cow which appears to have been shot on Tuesday and left in pain with terrible wounds…where the hands had been hacked off, bullet wounds to a head and a deep gash on her back…”

Phaahla has appealed to people to stop sharing the video on social media as it might distress people.

SANParks launches fresh initiatives to keep criminals at bay:

VIDEO: Bheki Cele takes part in a walk as part of the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence campaign
11 December 2021, 12:18 PM

Minister of Police, Beki Cele, is to take part in a walk in Soweto to close the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence. The 10km walk organised by Act Now in partnership with the National Liquor Board will take place in Soweto ending at a popular club, Konka.

Weather

 

SABC © 2022