For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Preggie Moodley (Page 8)

Author Archives: Preggie Moodley

China says nearly 1 300 virus deaths not counted in Wuhan, cites early lapses
17 April 2020, 2:02 PM

Nearly 1 300 people who died of the coronavirus in the Chinese city of Wuhan, or half the total, were not counted in death tolls because of lapses, state media said on Friday, but Beijing dismissed claims that there had been any kind of cover-up.

The central city where the outbreak emerged late last year added 1 290 more fatalities to the 2 579 previously counted as of Thursday, reflecting incorrect reporting, delays and omissions, according to a local government task force in charge of controlling the coronavirus.

Reflecting the additional deaths in Wuhan, China revised its national death toll later on Friday up to 4 632.

The revision follows widespread speculation that Wuhan’s death toll was significantly higher than reported.

Rumours of more victims were fuelled for weeks by pictures of long queues of family members waiting to collect ashes of cremated relatives and reports of thousands of urns stacked at a funeral home waiting to be filled.

“In the early stage, due to limited hospital capacity and the shortage of medical staff, a few medical institutions failed to connect with local disease control and prevention systems in a timely manner, which resulted in delayed reporting of confirmed cases and some failures to count patients accurately,” state media cited an unidentified Wuhan official as saying.

Suspicion that China has not been transparent about the outbreak has risen in recent days as death tolls mount in many countries, including the United States, with President Donald Trump on Wednesday expressing scepticism about China’s previously declared death figure of about 3 000.

“Do you really believe those numbers in this vast country called China, and that they have a certain number of cases and a certain number of deaths; does anybody really believe that?” he said.

Foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Friday that while there might have been data collection flaws earlier during the outbreak, China has “a responsibility to history, to the people and to the deceased” to ensure numbers are accurate.

“Medical workers at some facilities might have been preoccupied with saving lives and there existed delayed reporting, underreporting or misreporting, but there has never been any cover-up and we do not allow cover-ups,” he said.

Wuhan’s total number of cases was revised up by 325, suggesting that some of the new deaths had been recorded as cases but not confirmed as fatalities, taking the total number of cases in the city of 11 million people to 50 333, or about 60% of mainland China’s total.

The topic “Wuhan revises its death toll” was one of the most read on China’s Weibo microblogging platform, which is heavily moderated.

Many commentators praised the government for admitting its mistakes and correcting them, although some still questioned the numbers and one urged other provinces to reassess their data.

Doctors and government officials in Wuhan have been repeatedly questioned about the accuracy of the death toll by journalists on government-arranged trips.

CHAOTIC EARLY DAYS

Some of those officials acknowledged that people may have died without being counted in the chaotic early days of the outbreak, before testing was widely available.

“There couldn’t have been many because that was a very short period,” Wang Xinghuan, head of one of two field hospitals built for the outbreak, told reporters in Wuhan on April 12. He stressed that he was not speaking for the government.

It is not unusual in epidemics for case and fatality numbers to be revised after authorities carry out retrospective re-testing or reclassify the cause of infection or death.

The Spanish region of Catalonia on Wednesday announced an additional 3,242 coronavirus deaths since the start of the pandemic, nearly doubling its previous tally, citing a change in methodology to include data from funerary services on suspected and confirmed COVID-19 deaths in nursing homes and private homes.

Before the revised Wuhan numbers were released, China said it had recorded 26 new cases of the coronavirus on Thursday, down from 46 cases a day earlier, according to the National Health Commission.

It brought the total number of cases in mainland China to 82 367.

Of the new cases, 15 were imported infections, the lowest since March 17. The remaining 11 confirmed cases were locally transmitted, down from 12 a day earlier. The number of new asymptomatic cases increased to 66 from 64 a day earlier.

China does not include patients with no clinical symptoms such as a cough or a fever in its tally of confirmed cases.

No new deaths were reported.

Sebastian Vettel
Vettel takes step towards world of virtual racing
17 April 2020, 1:55 PM

Sebastian Vettel has never been one for social media or had much time for esports but even the four-times world champion has shifted his stance, however slightly, under Formula One’s coronavirus lockdown.

Although the 32-year-old Ferrari driver is still not remotely tempted by Twitter or Instagram, he has acquired a gaming rig. Just how much the German uses it remains to be seen.

Rivals, including his Monegasque team mate Charles Leclerc, who has thrown himself enthusiastically into virtual racing in the absence of any real life track action, can probably rest easy though.

“The truth is I didn’t have a simulator until a couple of days ago so I have not been tempted because I didn’t have the chance,” Vettel told reporters when asked in an online media session about any interest in esports.

“I have heard a lot of things about so I thought I might get one and try it, but I need to still set it up properly,” he added.

Leclerc, a two-times winner last season who also finished ahead of Vettel in the standings, won the virtual Vietnamese Grand Prix this month on his debut in the new Formula One esports race series.

Red Bull’s Max Verstappen and Alexander Albon, McLaren’s Lando Norris, Alfa Romeo’s Antonio Giovinazzi and the Williams pairing of George Russell and Nicholas Latifi have also kept their hands in online as they wait for the season to start.

Seven Formula One races have been postponed so far and organisers are talking of a reduced calendar possibly running into January.

“Generally I’m not going to foresee a career in sim racing,” said Vettel.

“I think it’s more something to try for fun. I grew up with some of the stuff and I’ve been playing some games but to be honest since I had kids it’s not the first thing on my list to do,” added the father of three.

“I’m aware that some people take it very seriously and spend a lot of time there but I also enjoy doing other things.”

Vettel and former team mate Kimi Raikkonen, now with Alfa Romeo and the oldest driver on the grid at 40, are similar in that they both live in Switzerland and guard their privacy closely.

The Ferrari driver made clear he was not about to develop a Twitter following.

“I have not progressed on social media,” he said. “I didn’t have the time. It’s something I never started so it doesn’t feel like I miss it.”

Help police and SANDF protect lives: Williams
14 April 2020, 4:50 PM

The World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the coronavirus (COVID 19) a global pandemic. South Africa as part of the global community, has taken decisive actions such as travel bans, quarantine rules, social distancing and lockdowns.  All these are an attempt to contain the disease.   We are informed there is no cure yet for this virus.

Police and other law enforcement agencies including the supporting role of the South African National Defence (SANDF) were brought in after the President announced the 21 days lockdown from the 27 March 2020.   This has subsequently been extended by another two weeks.

During this period the law enforcement agencies played an instrumental role in keeping South Africans safe and prevent the spread of the virus. A number of regulations were gazetted to guide on how we conduct ourselves during the lockdown period.

A number of South Africans heeded the call to stay at home so as to prevent the spread of the disease.  Only a few continued to deliberately undermine the nation’s resolve to stop the spread of the virus in our communities.  The regulations gazetted provides the law enforcement agencies with a mechanism to arrest those that violate the lockdown.  They do not provide any law enforcement agencies a right to violate our constitution that protects its citizens.

At the start of the lockdown, there was a high number of people arrested for violating the lockdown regulations. By 31 March 2020 Minister of Police Bheki Cele reported that police arrested about 17 000 people across the country.

Reports were also received of heavy-handed measures applied by the law enforcement agencies on the ground, whilst enforcing the lockdown regulations.   The government came out strongly to condemn the use of any acts that are not respecting the rights and dignity of everyone in the country.

South Africa is a constitutional democracy and expects the conduct of all its officers to be in line with the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa (Act 108 of 1996). Government would not hesitate to investigate any acts that undermine the rights of its citizens as enshrined in the Constitution.

All allegations of human rights abuse are taken very seriously. Oversight responsibilities are in place to detect and take action where there is a need. The Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) is the structure that is responsible to investigate allegations of any unlawful conduct by law enforcement officers.

During this lockdown period, some reports have suggested that the police killed eight people. This is far from the truth, most of the incidents that were reported to IPID during this period, had nothing to do with alleged heavy handedness of the police enforcing the lockdown.

We are aware of  a private security company that shot a person in Vosloorus while in another incident a girlfriend was shot by her boyfriend who is a Police officer over allegations of infidelity. Both of these incidents are being investigated and have nothing to do with police brutality while enforcing lockdown.

Overall, our security forces including the SANDF deserve praise on how they are executing the task assigned to them by their Command in Chief, President Cyril Matamela Ramaphosa.  The men and women in uniform have been on the frontlines of this fight. They have had to face the frustration of unhappy individuals and communities, but overall they have executed their task professionally.

We remain truly inspired by those who went beyond the call to not only enforce regulations but also help assist the elderly and people with disabilities. The sight of security forces assisting people during the social grant payment cycle will live long in our memory.

As the lockdown progressed, there has been a drop in the number of complaints against the police as more citizens began to comply and understand the importance of adhering to the regulations.

For this lockdown to be a success in containing the spread of the virus, it is not only police or SANDF that must act in accordance with the law.

We must all play our part by ensuring that we abide by the regulations to stay at home, practice social distance, self-isolate and leave our houses only if we have a valid reason for doing so.

Law-abiding citizens have nothing to fear from the enforcement of lockdown regulations. These measures are aimed at combating the virus and ensuring that all South Africans are and feel safe.  We are encouraged by President Cyril Ramaphosa’s report that the lockdown is definitely yielding positive results.

Our law enforcement agencies including the SANDF will continue to uphold the rule of law and maintain stability in partnership with communities they serve. Working in partnership, we can ensure that we reduce the number of people who get infected and save lives.  As part of the global community, we also continue to respond to the World Health Organisation’s call to countries to fight the spread of the disease.

 Phumla Williams, Acting Director-General at GCIS.

SA receives medical equipment from China to fight COVID-19
14 April 2020, 3:26 PM

South Africa has received medical equipment from China to fight COVID-19. China has committed to help South Africa with medical equipment to fight the spread of COVID-19.

The East Asian country is a trade partner to South Africa and a Brics affiliate with the biggest economy in that group of countries.

Livestream:

Minister Zweli Mkhize receives medical equipment from China to fight COVID-19

Minister Zweli Mkhize receives medical equipment from China to fight COVID-19

Posted by The Presidency of the Republic of South Africa on Tuesday, 14 April 2020

China has decided to provide 2.5 tons worth of equipment including surgical masks, protective gowns and thermometers.

The complete list includes 10 000 N95 masks, 50 000 surgical disposable masks, 2000 medical protective gowns, 500 infrared thermometers, 2000 medical goggles, 10 000 disposable gloves and 10 000 medical shoes.

South Africa has been the hardest-hit country in Sub-Saharan Africa, with 2272 confirmed positive cases since its first reported case on 5 March 2020. So far, the country has managed to minimise the number of deaths from the worldwide pandemic, with only 27 people succumbing from this new strain of the coronavirus.

On Monday, Minister of Health Zweli Mkhize together with experts and academics in the health sector presented a report that shows how the country has been dealing with the pandemic.

Professor Salim Abdool Karim, an Epidemiological expert has lauded the country in how they have been dealing with COVID-19 so far.

“SA has a unique component to its response. Every other country has simply had to wait. They saw these cases coming into the hospital and that’s how they recognised they had an epidemic. In SA we have chosen to go a different route. We’ve chosen to be proactive. We’ve chosen to go out there and do active case finding. We’re not gonna wait until they come to the hospital sick. We’re gonna find them before they get to a hospital.”

With the winter season fast approaching, the country is cautious not to take things lightly as the season can bring a rise to the number of people contracting the virus.

Karim has also suggested voluntary lockdown for the aged and vulnerable, suggesting that they remain on a self imposed lockdown until September.

The equipment donated by China will help in curbing the spread, and assist in equipping medical personel in the fight against the disease.

The current COVID-19 outbreak is driven by a novel coronavirus (SARS CoV-2) that is spreading between people. The first human infections were reported at the end of December 2019 in Wuhan, Hubei province in China when a cluster of 41 pneumonia cases was identified. Deeper analysis showed that it was a novel coronavirus.

A third – 66% of the cases – had direct exposure to the Huanan Seafood market. Fish, shellfish, wildlife, snakes, birds and several different types of meat and carcasses were sold at this market. The market was closed immediately, and it has not reopened since.

Scientists around the world have been working around the clock to identify the pathogen behind the new illness.

Information that gave the first clues was released in mid-January 2020 when the full viral genomic sequence of the new coronavirus from a patient sample was published. It showed a new coronavirus – SARS-CoV2 – belonging to the same group as the severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus (SARS-CoV) which caused the 2003 SARS outbreak.

But the new virus differed significantly, raising questions about its origin. The strongest speculation has been that the virus is somehow linked to the market given two thirds of the first batch of people infected had had ties with it. But even this hasn’t been proved yet. And subsequent investigations indicate that the first patient – who started experiencing symptoms as early as 1 December 2019 – had no reported link to the market, or the other patients.

Several questions remain. Most importantly, there’s no clear data on what the source was. But tracking down the origin of the illness is important because it’s essential to know who or what infected “patient zero”. Understanding the specific circumstances, including human behaviour and activities, that led to this pandemic may provide clues about risk factors for future outbreaks.

Below is a Live Tracking of the cases, death toll and other information, updated daily:

With Wimbledon lost, Federer and Williams running out of Grand Slam opportunities
4 April 2020, 8:42 AM

The cancellation of Wimbledon this week has not only fanned the possibility of a total tennis wipeout for the rest of the season but may also have put an end to the Grand Slam title chase for both Roger Federer and Serena Williams. Wimbledon was scrapped for the first time since World War Two on Wednesday due to the coronavirus pandemic, with the suspension of professional tennis extended to July 13.

The entire claycourt and grasscourt seasons have been cancelled, with the four-month shutdown wreaking havoc on the finances of the lower-tier players.

Tennis Australia head Craig Tiley has said it would be tough for the sport to return before 2021 while All England Lawn Tennis Club CEO Richard Lewis agreed that it was not unrealistic to believe tennis might be done for the year.

While 38-year-old Federer is well insulated from the shutdown’s financial fallout it could well impact his hopes of adding to his record haul of 20 Grand Slam titles.

The last of Federer’s Slams came at the 2018 Australian Open and the closest he came to adding to his tally was last year’s Wimbledon final.

Federer’s last match was in the Australian Open semi-finals before he underwent keyhole surgery on his knee in February. His next chance at a Grand Slam would be the U.S. Open, scheduled in New York from Aug. 31 to Sept. 14.

The French Open, an event he has skipped in the past, has been rearranged from May to September — a week after Flushing Meadows.

Australian Todd Woodbridge, a nine-times Wimbledon doubles champion and singles semi-finalist, was unsure what was in store for Federer if the season is lost.

“The question that Roger will have to ask himself is how motivated is he to come back for another year?” Woodbridge told Australian Associated Press this week.

“Or has this actually helped him? But the less match play that you get in this period at that age, it’s so much harder to come back and recover once you start again.

“It has stopped the potential … of Federer winning one or two more. It becomes very highly unlikely for him.”

While Federer has said he will still be around for Wimbledon next year Williams has been tight-lipped on her future.

The American, who turns 39 in September, lost in last year’s Wimbledon final and remains one Grand Slam short of tying Margaret Court’s record 24 major titles.

She has reached four Grand Slam finals since giving birth to daughter Olympia in 2017 but failed to win any of them.

Martina Navratilova, winner of 18 Grand Slam singles titles, says the situation is not ideal for anyone but for players like Williams and Federer the clock is ticking.

“The youngsters are missing a chance to improve and match up against higher-ranked players,” she said. “The middle players are kind of stuck, and the older players like Serena Williams and Roger Federer, time is not their friend.

“So they lost basically this year this opportunity.”

Weather

 

SABC © 2020