Ndabeni-Abrahams voluntarily subjects herself to ANC Integrity Committee
4 September 2020, 9:20 PM
Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams has voluntarily subjected herself to the Integrity Committee of the African National Congress (ANC) to address any allegations of impropriety that have been published against her office.
This follows media reports in recent weeks pointing to alleged business dealings, by senior officials, in state-owned entities under her portfolio, particularly the South African Post Office, and possible conflicts of interest in her husband Thato Abrahams’ business dealings.
In a statement, Ndabeni-Abrahams emphasised the need to lead by example in fighting impropriety in the entities she oversees.
Her decision follows a resolution last weekend by the ANC NEC that anyone alleged to be involved in corruption must appear before the Integrity Committee and for it to recommend a way forward.
Below is the full statement:
Motlanthe laments continuous violence in South Africa
4 September 2020, 9:15 PM
African National Congress former deputy president, Kgalema Motlanthe says not much has been done to understand why violence is persisting and escalating since the end of apartheid in 1994. Motlanthe was delivering a keynote address at the virtual political lecture commemorating 28 years since the Bisho Massacre.
The lecture was hosted by the ANC in the Eastern Cape under the theme: “Revolutionary Theory and Morality”.
Motlanthe says even the advent of democracy is not enough to erase the deeply entrenched culture of violence produced by years of oppression.
” This continuing of violence in South Africa today is a glaring expression of our failures as we remember and commemorate the lives lost in Marikana, Life Esidimeni, Gender- Based-Violence and femicide. We remember Uyinene Mrwetyana, Lumka, Micheal Komape and other children who died in school pit latrines, the shooting of young Nathaniel Julies, Collins Khoza and the list sadly goes on,” says Motlanthe.
Bisho Massacre lecture by Motlanthe:
Family of murdered girl in Limpopo still reeling from the tragedy
4 September 2020, 8:38 PM
The family of 17-year-old Kagiso Kalem, who was found murdered allegedly by her 19-year-old boyfriend at Ga-Madiba outside Mokopane in Limpopo, are still distraught over the incident.
Kale’s body was discovered at her home on Thursday night with multiple stab wounds. The suspect has since been arrested.
Family spokesperson, Mavis Molomo, says they are unable to come to terms with Kagiso’s killing.
“We are in so much pain. Kagiso’s death has devastated us. Oh my God…she had qualities of a leader. She had a bright future, she was very very clever. We were still expecting a lot from her. But the devil has stolen her from us.”
Meanwhile, Limpopo’s MEC for Social Development Nkakareng Rakgoale has described the killing as senseless. She visited the Kale family on Friday.
“Firstly we want to send messages of condolences to the Kale family and also to learners from the school that she was attending. But also we came here to comfort them and also to make sure that they are going to get the support that they need. Social workers have already visited the family, they have already gone to school as well to provide counselling. Something which will continue especially because she was the only child.”
Women in Cape Town protest against GBV scourge
Earlier this week, women in Cape Town protested against gender-based violence (GBV) and called on the national government to act against the ongoing killing of women and children in the country. A large group held a placard demonstration near Parliament, calling for justice.
The demonstration formed part of the national action against gender-based violence and femicide in the country.
A group of motorbike riders also joined the protest in highlighting the high rate of crime. Some of the participants say they want government to act.
“We are tired of the government not dedicating enough work, effort, funds and mind power into gender-based violence, literally the government has done nothing and now there is a police presence at this event,” said a demonstrator.
“I came to stand up for myself and the rights of other women because I’m tired of the raping, the killing of women and children,” added another demonstrator.
“It is a big problem all over the world really, especially as males as well we try our best to suppress and say it doesn’t exist, but you can’t do that, that’s why I’m fighting for their rights to live,” says a male demonstrator.
Religious organisations take a stand against GBV:
NUMSA seeks to compel Comair to pay outstanding salaries to employees
4 September 2020, 7:14 PM
The National Union of Metal Workers (NUMSA) filed an urgent interdict at the Johannesburg Labour Court on Friday to compel Comair and it’s Business Rescue Practitioners (BRPs) to pay outstanding salaries to employees. Comair has not paid staff salaries since the 1st of June this year.
The airline has also failed to pay their portion of the medical aid and unions say they imposed unpaid leave on employees. This was done shortly after the company went into business rescue.
This week, BRPs for Comair submitted the business rescue plan and expectations are that the airline will resume operations by December.
Unions say the actions of Comair and its BRPs are in direct violation of the companies act which provides absolute protection for employees during business rescue proceedings.
The Labour Court is expected to hear the matter next week.
“We want to make it clear that as NUMSA we were not consulted in this business rescue plan that was recently published, employees were not a priority and funding was used for other purposes and to protect other stakeholders at the expense of workers. One of the proposals which have been made is that workers must sign away and wave all their rights to remuneration until December and this is part of the business rescue plan and we as NUMSA, we reject this. The BRPs are also attempting to increase their exorbitant fees,” says NUMSA spokesperson Phakamile Hlubi-Majola.
In May, NUMSA expressed shock and dismay that the airline was placed under business rescue.
DUT ranked one of top five universities in South Africa
4 September 2020, 6:55 PM
The Durban University of Technology (DUT) has been ranked as one of the top five universities in South Africa and amongst the best in Africa.
The institution’s performance was measured based on five important categories which are teaching, research, citations, knowledge transfer and international outlook.
“My predecessors did a lot of work to build the right foundation by encouraging a number of people to ensure that in as much as we had been a technical university where academic staff had not been required to have doctoral degrees. They ensured way back around 2010 , 2014 that more and more staff should earn PhDs, so that is the capacity for research and innovation, ” says DUT’s Vice-Chancellor and Principal Professor Thandwa Mthembu.