For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Yolanda Mhlathi (Page 2)

Author Archives: Yolanda Mhlathi

Malema urges youth not to give up on education
16 June 2021, 7:00 PM

Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader, Julius Malema, has appealed to the youth of South Africa not to give up and to continue to educate themselves.

Malema was speaking at Hoërskool Uitsig in Centurion, Pretoria, in commemoration of the June 1976 student uprising.

He says education is the key to success and therefore the youth must grab that opportunity.

Malema says the youth should draw inspiration from the likes of the late struggle icon, Hector Pieterson, who died this day in 1976.

“He left us with enough material to revive us, to equip us, to inspire us as Black people and to continue the good fight. We are not the type that will just sit back and say we complain, that’s not why we are here. We are here to say to every White man, there is a place for every Black person in South Africa including here,” he says.

The EFF leader says Pieterson’s death must be solely blamed on former South African Prime Minister, John Vorster. He says Vorster presided over the death of many young people in the country, for merely fighting for their rights as young people.

“They don’t repeat the name, they don’t hypnotise you with the name of a murder who killed our people in 1976. John Vorster is responsible for 1976, John Vorster is responsible for the murder of Hector Peterson. And AKK those who came after him, because they did not prosecute him they too have got blood of Hector Peterson,” he told EFF supporters.

EFF marks Youth Day in Centurion:

Vaccine woes

Malema also touched on the country’s vaccine challenges.

He says his party will picket outside the South African Health Products Regulatory Authority (SAHPRA) headquarters in Pretoria on Friday next week.

It will be demanding that the Chinese vaccine and that of Russia be approved for use in South Africa. He says the delay by government in driving the vaccination process is going to cost a lot of lives.

The EFF leader says should they not be happy, they will stage a sit-in at the house of SAHPRA CEO, Dr Boitumelo Semete-Makokotlela until their call is headed.

“After picketing there next week Friday, they have seven days to approve the Russian vaccine and the Chinese vaccine, failure to do so, we’re do stage a sleep in at the house of the CEO of SAHPRA until they protect us, it is personal like that. It is personal like that. We are going to her house, we want her to approve Sputnik and Chinese vaccine to add on what we have now,” he says.

South Africa is currently the Johnson and Johnson and the Pfizer vaccine in the second phase of its vaccination programme.

TTM
TTM to reveal its new name, logo on Thursday
16 June 2021, 6:02 PM

Limpopo DSTV Premiership outfit, Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila Football Club, will have a new name and logo ahead of the new season.

The Polokwane-based club will unveil the new name and logo at an event in Sandton, Johannesburg, on Thursday.

One of the names being bandied about is Marumo Gallants FC.

The Nedbank champions were bought by Abraham Sello from the club’s previous owner, Lawrence Mulaudzi, following financial problems earlier this year.

The current club’s chairman, Abraham Sello, opted to rebrand the club by changing the name and the logo.

The Club’s spokesperson, Rufus Matsena, says the club’s main sponsor will also be unveiled on Thursday.

“We are actually getting rid of the old name which is Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila which is famous as TTM.  We are definitely unveiling the new name and the logo. We do have a technical sponsor that is being negotiated,” says Matsena.

TTM’s bank account has meanwhile been frozen after Mulaudzi demanded to be paid R10 million, which was reportedly outstanding when the club was sold.

Matsena, however, says the matter is being handled by their lawyers.

“The issue pertaining to the previous chairman and the chairman is something that we cannot be discussing at the moment because is sub-judicare the matter is handled by the lawyers lets leave it like that until such time we get a go ahead from both parties, especially their legal representative.”

Mulaudzi had bought the then Bidvest Wits club last year. He sold it to Sello within five months due to financial challenges.

McBride, Booyens abandon bid to cross-examine state capture witnesses
16 June 2021, 4:55 PM

The State Capture Commission received several withdrawals for leave to cross-examine certain witnesses.

A legal representative for former IPID head, Robert McBride, and former Hawks boss, Johann Booyens today abandoned their leave for cross-examine witnesses who implicated them in state capture.

They have now requested the commission to call them back in order give their version of events.

They have, however, asked  to appear before the commission on the 25th and 28th this month to clear their names.

The Commission’s chair Deputy Chief Justice, Raymond Zondo, says that he will grant them a day to come back and give evidence.

“They will be granted an opportunity to come back and give a summary of their versions of the allegations against them in due course.”

Wednesday’s proceedings in the video below:

Legal representative, advocate Anthony Mosing, told the commission that his clients including McBride, Matthews Sesoko, Col Petrus Du Plooy, Innocent Khuba, Trevor White, Simphiwe Mlotshwa and Johann Booysen want to set the record straight.

The applicants were implicated at the commission by certain witnesses for allegedly aiding state captured by the Gupta family.

“Our request is that the legal team should be given the opportunity to summarise the critical versions of our clients on the 25th and 28th and that should be reflected on the report at the end of the day,” says Mosing.

The Commission will hear Transnet-related evidence from former Transnet CFO, Anoj Singh, and former Minister of Public Enterprises, Malusi Gigaba, on Thursday.

 

Parliamentarians share their joys, frustrations of COVID-19 vaccination
11 June 2021, 10:08 PM

It’s almost a month since the second phase of the COVID-19 vaccination campaign started on 17 May. Members of Parliament over the age of 60 are among the 5 million people in this category who qualify to be vaccinated.

The Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly, Lechesa Tsenoli, and Health Committee Chairperson Sibongiseni Dhlomo have been encouraging other MPs over the age of 60 to register to be vaccinated.

On Monday, Dhlomo had his chance to receive his first dose in his home town of Mbumbulu in KwaZulu-Natal.

“I got vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine on the 7th of June and today on the 11th of June, I am doing oversight visit in Gauteng. I feel ok. I have never had any side effects. Even on the same day of my vaccination, I drove myself home. I am encouraging all those who are 60 years and above to go for all those life-saving interventions by the Department of Health.”

Dhlomo is encouraging those who experience side effects from the vaccine to act quickly. “If you do feel any symptoms of dizziness, tiredness, itchiness of the body, report those as soon as you can. Otherwise, I feeling great. I am visiting sights here in Gauteng. I am actually happy that I got vaccinated in the most rural part of Kwazulu Natal called Mbumbulu. And we are grateful to the Department that continues to give us support, even in other rural parts of the country despite the challenges of this vaccine. Go for it; you will be saved.”

Tsenoli was vaccinated at a Cape Town hospital on Wednesday morning. “Today is my second morning following getting the vaccination, and I am feeling great. I went there confident that I could handle a needle, which is one thing that I don’t fear. I do acupuncture, so the needle does not scare me anyway. So, it’s been great that the Department of Health has been rolling out this programme in the way it does throughout the country. And that I personally have now gotten it, has somewhat lifted my confidence.  I didn’t actually realise that I was anxious to get it. Now that I got it I feel upbeat and it’s been great. I haven’t felt anything untoward that I can’t handle.”

The Deputy Speaker says he is happy to contribute towards the much-needed population immunity in the fight against COVID-19.

“I wish others can have the courage to go ahead and do it as well. It is necessary to at least take the first step as a preventative step, so that the second one when it comes, must add to the immunity my body requires to withstand any attack on the virus. At my age, I need my health to be the best it can be and I guess also that I contribute to general immunity in the population.”

Tsenoli says he is one of the high-risk vulnerable groups. “I do have comorbidity but  I am glad that some of the colleagues have done so too. A friend also sent me a message from Durban. He went to the church in the neighbourhood which was used as a base. He too was very excited when he sent me the message and appreciated the settings in the province in Umlazi in different places for the over 60, to be able to go and get their injections next to where they live. It’s a great initiative, I think. It makes for the necessity to combat the disease so that we can get as close to living our normal lives as we can. However, we need to be patient. This requires as many of us to (vaccinate).”

Tsenoli also reflected on those who knowingly spread the coronavirus. “Two people were fired. Their case was that they knowingly went to places of work with COVID-19 and therefore this was dangerous to other people they worked with. The court found against them and so decided that the employer was within their right to fire them. So we have to be conscious that there are consequences for acting irresponsibly when we do know we have COVID to go and join crowds and other places where we should not be and thus spreading the virus. It’s dangerous, it’s not worth it. Not all of us have the health ability to withstand disease and so we place many people at risk. It’s a simple human action when we comply with the restrictions of staying out of crowds and limiting any interaction with a broad big numbers of people. It is also appropriate that we sanitise, wash our hands and ensure that we keep our masks,- covering our noses which is not what usually happens in certain instances. But largely many people do comply and it’s great.”

DA National Spokesperson Siviwe Gwarube says some of the party’s 23 MPs who are over the age of 60 have also been vaccinated.

“Many of them are looking forward to getting their jabs and they are looking forward to leading by example by getting their jabs. A number of them have already had their first jab and will be waiting to get their second jabs as part of the vaccinations process. It is once again disappointing that the vaccination process is not as fast as it should be, simply because we know that it is the only way that we can cushion ourselves against the impact of the third wave and we encourage all people who are over the age of 60, who are health care-workers to get their vaccinations as quickly as possible as quickly as they can.”

‘Endangered species’

Other Members of Parliament over the age of 60 who have registered to be vaccinated, include United Democratic Movement (UDM) leader Bantu Holomisa, Congress of the People (Cope) leader, Mosioua Lekota and former Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) leader Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi.

Holomisa says he is still waiting to receive his notification. “I confirm that I did register for vaccination last month. But up to date, nobody has contacted me to advise me as to when must I go for vaccination. Remember that people my age have been declared endangered species but the government is failing us. I don’t know whether we should organise a Toyi-Toyi so that they can hear us as people over 60 years because this is a government that normally listens when people burn tyres and Toyi-Toyi. Maybe we should consider that.”

Lekota says he has also not yet received any notification and Prince Buthelezi’s office says he has not yet been vaccinated. 92-year-old Buthelezi has fully recovered after testing positive for COVID-19 last year.

 

Eastern Cape seeks to empower young people through digital economy in rural areas
11 June 2021, 9:19 PM

Eastern Cape provincial government and Communications ministry are seeking to open doors for innovative young people in rural areas.

Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams says more than 150 Innovative and Digital Skills Centres will be opened in the Eastern Cape before the end of the year.

Speaking at the launch of one of these centres in Mthatha, Ndabeni-Abrahams says most innovative young people will be exposed to digital skills and contribute to the digital economy.

“If we are investing in the digital economy, providing skills, providing skills to the young people, we are investing in the future. So that is why we view the step by the Liquid Intelligence Technologies as a great step for the young people of Mthatha to say they too can become the digital economy that you are talking about. Because not only they have access to the internet, they also have access to utilising and providing content on different platforms.”

Beneficiaries like Chulumanco Mteto and Mzuvelile Mbhoxo have expressed appreciation at the digital Skills facility.

“It’s gonna help me right now and in the future with my IT project like PAT and to get more opportunities in the technology world, especially if I am doing a computer science degree,” says Mteto.

‘It’s going to develop my excel skills, my Microsoft and in terms of excel general skills that I will need, not only now but in future,” says Mbhoxo.

With an unemployment rate of 43.8%, the Eastern Cape remains the province with the highest rate in the country.

Eastern Cape Premier Oscar Mabuyane says this Innovative and Digital Skills Centre is a catalyst for job creation.

“This is going to turn around the situation, we want young people to be equipped. We need more skills development from young people. People can now do everything. You can see with all these technology opportunities that are available so we think that it’s an opportunity that needs to be grabbed with both hands, all young people must begin to look at that.”

Government seeks to open doors for innovative young people in E Cape: 

Weather

 

SABC © 2021