For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Yolanda Mhlathi (Page 10)

Author Archives: Yolanda Mhlathi

IFP MP Mthokozisi Nxumalo laid to rest
8 August 2021, 8:05 PM

The late Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) Member of Parliament has been laid to rest at his home in Mtubatuba in KwaZulu-Natal. 32-year-old Mthokozisi Nxumalo was killed in a car accident in Nongoma on Sunday.

A moving send-off to one of South Africa’s youngest parliamentarians. Nxumalo has been described by those who knew him as a visionary leader. He was elected IFP Youth Brigade chairperson in July last year.

In January 2021, he became the Deputy Chief Whip of the IFP. He served on the Portfolio committees for Public works and Infrastructure and Higher Education, Science and Technology.

Nxumalo previously served on the Portfolio Committee for Mineral Resources and Energy. His death left his family devastated.

Funeral service for the late IFP Deputy Chief Whip Mthokozisi Nxumalo:

Leaders of political parties paid tribute to Nxumalo. “What a handsome young man. What a visionary leader! What a leader with substance and content. We are here as the ANC because this child showed us how he was raised. He was robust in debate and with respect,” says ANC Chief Whip, Pemmy Majodina.

The IFP says Nxumalo was a passionate leader who was loved by all in the party.

IFP leader, Velenkosi Hlabisa says, “Death robbed us a passionate young South African. A dedicated leader, kind, true servant leader. The youth of SA  lost the voice of youth agenda and the champion of youth empowerment.”

The IFP has lamented those within the party who it says have started speculating on Nxumalo’s replacement in Parliament.

Nxumalo is survived by his mother, fiancée and children. -Reporting by Bongani Gema 

Cape Town entrepreneur reconfigures business model to keep afloat
8 August 2021, 6:47 PM

A small clothing business owner in Philippi, Cape Town, says she has had to dig deep to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic, which threatened her livelihood and that of the six people she employs.

During Women’s Month last year, Zimkita Hene faced eviction from the Junxion Mall in Philippi. This, after she fell behind in rent payments due to the lockdown and trading restrictions.

A year on, with the pandemic still raging she is now offering sewing classes as a means to keep her company going, but also to empower other women in the community.

We had to think on our feet and see how else we are going to attract revenue and to continue trading. So what we did was we started sewing classes and since we started them they have been quite a success. They have been one of the key factors that are contributing to us actually still being open to this date.” 

39-Year-old Siphokazi Mnyameni is unemployed. She lost her job of 17 years as a cabin crew member for SAA during this time. Knowing that she needed to find a skill to sustain herself and her family. She signed on for sewing lessons here.

“Like here in Philippi, we are surrounded by poverty, crime and some of us are not literate. So we didn’t go to school. We only have grade 9 or grade 10 or 12. This has opened ways for women and especially young women you know. This is a skill we can have forever. She will teach us the lessons, but we take it further. We do our own businesses, we can even continue what she’s doing.” 

Hene says she has been fortunate to have received help from the government. She is now in the process of having her classes formally accredited.

“We also started knocking on government doors like, we are currently in the process of  and registering our business with SETA so we can get accredited, so we have been taking the initiative to appeal to the government to say we are here we want your assistance.” 

The sewing classes run over a three-month period, for one full day a week. Over 150 students have so far completed the course.

A business owner in Philippi reconfigures her company’s model to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic:

Disgruntled Limpopo residents hurl insults at SABC News crew
8 August 2021, 5:30 PM

SABC News crew has been verbally abused while covering a story about a dispute over land ownership at Moletjie, outside Polokwane, in Limpopo.

South African National Civic Organisation (Sanco) representatives, who accused the crew of taking sides, disrupted interviews and hurled insults.

A group of residents has accused the Moletjie Traditional Council of reneging on an agreement to allocate them a portion of land where their ancestral ruins are situated. They claim their forefathers were unlawfully dispossessed of the land.

The residents also say the council has instead been demarcating residential sites.

Community leader, Letona Mothata, says they cannot access some of their ancestral graves. Mothata says discussions with the local traditional authority have been futile.

“We have been discussing it with Kgosi Moloto, he promised us but unfortunately he is not giving the land.”

Moletjie Traditional Authority spokesperson, Matuma Moloto, accuses the community of illegally occupying the land.

“We cannot allow people to go there and occupy the land illegally, if they do that, we won’t tolerate it. If they need anything they should come, but then they should come as individuals not as a group, because we have a headman there, there is no headman within them. The headman is headman Mokgokong, if they come as individuals it is fine.”

Meanwhile, the community has reached out to another local chief Malesela Dikgale for assistance to intervene.

SABC News crew verbally attacked while covering land dispute story outside Polokwane:

It’s unclear what impacts ConCourt latest decision will have on Zuma recission application: Prof Andrews
7 August 2021, 9:56 PM

A former Acting High Court Judge and Law Professor at  New York Law School, Professor Penelope Andrews, says it’s unclear what impacts the latest decision by the Constitutional Court will have on the final outcome of the rescission application of former President Jacob Zuma, but questions the harm their decision will have on the integrity of the court itself.

The country’s highest court on Saturday asked the legal teams of the former President, the State Capture Commission and other interested parties to make submissions by August 18th on whether its decision to hold Zuma in contempt of court and imprison him should be considered in terms of the UN International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights – a treaty to which South Africa is a party to.

“The court has been very comfortable in balancing international law, SA Constitutional Law, the values of the Constitution, etc … The appellant can make all kinds of claims and these claims are justifiable, but this is not to suggest that the court has not considered it and that the court has not been comfortable with balancing the application of international law in the SA Constitution and constitutional law. As I said it has done it before, but the second question is really when one looks at the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, with respect to this question, I am not persuaded. Looking at it, that it will change anything, it won’t change the outcome,” says Prof Andrews.

Credibility of SA’s highest court

She raises concerns about the credibility of South Africa’s highest court in taking up the rescission application in the manner it has now done. 
 
“Political and legal implication – I think that the court deciding immediately after its decision to reconsider its decision is both a legal question and a political question, But the political question is the authority of the court. It is almost unheard of for a court of last resort to immediately revisit a decision it has made. So for example, in the United States, Roe vs Wade has been argued – you know the abortion case has been argued up and down the federal courts to the supreme court since the 70s and an issue can be litigated continuously. But an issue cannot be litigated when the defendant who loses says I am not happy; I want you to revisit your decision and this is essentially what Jacob Zuma is asking the Court. And from my perspective, I don’t believe that it serves the Court’s authority and credibility to have decided to hear the case.

Impacts of ConCourt’s latest decision on Zuma rescission application unclear: Prof Penelope Andrews

Guilty of contempt of court

Zuma was found guilty of contempt of court and sentenced to 15 months imprisonment in the Constitutional Court in June. This after the Chairperson of the State Capture Commission, Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, had requested that the apex court declare Zuma in contempt of court.

Zondo also wanted Zuma sentenced to two years in prison for defying summonses to testify before the Commission.

In handing down judgment, Acting Chief Justice Sisi Khampepe said: “To Mr Zuma specifically, his contempt is rebukable in the strongest sense. In determining the length of the sentence, the majority has considered the unique circumstances of this matter, the nature of the breach and the extent to which the breach is ongoing.”

“Not only has Zuma failed to dispute the contempt of court, but he has also failed to contest the degree of the contempt. Instead, he has aggravated it. The majority judgment orders an unsuspended sentence of imprisonment for a period of 15 months.”

Former President Jacob Zuma ConCourt sentence review

 

Limpopo initiation schools still closed due to COVID-19
7 August 2021, 8:30 PM

The coronavirus pandemic has forced initiation schools for boys and girls in Limpopo to suspend the old age tradition. It is the second consecutive year in which the practice of passage to adulthood has not taken place.

The provincial chairperson of the House of Traditional Leaders, Chief Malesela Dikgale, has commended the traditional surgeons and leaders for heeding the call to suspend the practice.

He says continuing with it would have risked the lives of initiates and other people.

“We are happy that our people complied and there were rumours that in the Mokopane some people were making a list of people who are going to be at the initiation schools. But we sent them messages and they stopped. We were happy that they listened to us. So at the moment, there is just nothing we can do. You could have seen all the provinces did not have initiation schools. It’s is only the Eastern Cape that had initiation schools but they lost lives there which is disappointing.”

The male custom of initiation remains suspended in SA due to COVID-19:

Weather

 

SABC © 2021