For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Lerato Matlala (Page 993)

Author Archives: Lerato Matlala

Protea Glen residents protest
2 January 2018, 6:28 PM

Residents of the tornado struck Protea Glen extension six, south of Johannesburg are protesting. They have barricaded roads including the R559 towards Randfontein west of Johannesburg.  It is not clear what they are protesting about.  The area was hit by a tornado over the weekend causing extensive damage to many homes.

Gauteng police spokesperson Kay Makhubele says police are on the scene and are monitoring the situation. “So far there are no reports of injuries and damage to properties. We are going to continue to monitor the situation.  The R559 is closed. People going to Randfontein from Soweto may use the Kimberly road.” Click below for more on the story: 

KZN expects drop in road fatalities
2 January 2018, 5:17 PM

The KwaZulu-Natal Department of Transport is optimistic that the number of road fatalities in the province over the festive period will be lower than previous years. A total of 1 714 fatalities were recorded countrywide in the previous period. Traffic volumes peaked at 3 000 vehicles per hour at the Marianhill Toll Plaza outside Durban around midday as holidaymakers returned home on Tuesday.

KwaZulu-Natal is one of the most visited holiday destinations in the country. The KwaZulu-Natal Tourism Department says close to 1.7 million people spent New Year’s Day on the province’s beaches.

Between one and two on Tuesday afternoon 3 000 vehicles were counted at the Marianhill Toll Plaza outside Durban. Most vehicles had Gauteng and Mpumalanga registration numbers. At the end of 2016 KwaZulu-Natal, Gauteng, the Eastern Cape and Limpopo jointly accounted for 61 per cent of the carnage on South Africa’s roads over the festive period.

Twelve people lost their lives in two incidents in Ulundi and Port Edward in the last five days. A traffic officer and five others were killed in a collision at a roadblock on the R61 at Palm Beach near Ramsgate on the KwaZulu-Natal South Coast.

It is believed the traffic officer from the Ray Nkonyeni Municipality had pulled vehicles over to the side of the road when a truck side-swiped them, before swerving and hitting an oncoming car head-on.

Department of Transport spokesperson Kwanele Ncalane says they believe the number of accidents has decreased. “We are of a view from where we are sitting that this festive season we laid an important foundation in terms of decreasing the number of crashes and the number of fatalities even though we will await for the national Department of Transport to release audited statistics and figures but judging by the patterns, judging by the number of fatal accidents that we attended to as the province we can safely say we managed to decrease the number of fatalities in the province. We are anticipating nothing less than 20% decrease this time around that is our estimation.”

Meanwhile, holiday makers say they are happy with the safety measures that were put in place. “I enjoyed the beach, completely. It has been a while since I came to Durban. It is the first time I drove down myself, it was completely amazing,” says one of the holiday makers.

Ncalane says they will continue monitoring traffic to ensure people’s safety. “People are making their way back home; our plan is prolonged until schools reopen. We will continue monitoring traffic, monitoring all important spots and routes in the province until we are assured that everything is now back to normal. But again we wish to appeal to people as they are making their way back home that they must be vigilant and make sure that they adhere to all traffic laws. Our traffic deployment and all the law enforcement agencies will maintain their visibility on the ground with the view of ensuring that even now as people are going back home  they are safe.”

Ncalane has urged motorist to obey all the rules of the road.

 

KZN Ward Councillor murdered
2 January 2018, 2:42 PM

Another African National Congress (ANC) Councillor has been murdered in KwaZulu-Natal. The province’s ANC Secretary Super Zuma says Jozini Ward Councillor Njabulo Dlamini was allegedly stabbed to death during an argument on a beach at Richards Bay on New Year’s Day.

More than 20 ANC leaders have been murdered in the province since 2016. Zuma says the ANC and the community are still shocked after learning about the news of Dlamini’s killing.

“Yesterday (Monday) comrade Njabulo and other comrades went to the beach at Richards Bay where they had an argument with somebody who stabbed him. He was confirmed deceased. It is something you cannot explain, we wish to send our deepest condolences to the family of comrade Dlamini, the community of ward 2 at large and the comrades.”

 

IEC matriculants in Limpopo anxious about results
2 January 2018, 2:15 PM

Some matric learners who sat for the Independent Examinations Board exams in Limpopo say they are anxiously awaiting their results. The IEB results for about 11 000 learners at private schools across the country, will be released at midnight.

Lethabo Mojapelo and Mosebjadi Kekana from Mitchell House College in Polokwane say they are expecting good marks. “I believe in God and I feel like I did write well. But at the same time the exams were very intimidating. I’m very nervous because I had like an expectation of the marks that I might get. I applied at Varsity College at Midrand I will study towards a B Com”

Kekana says;”  I’m feeling nervous, I’m feeling anxious, I can’t breathe, like the nerves as the hours get closer,  it is just a lot for a lot of matrics to handle, but I think we will manage. I would like to study to be a Chartered Accountant.” Click below for more on the story: 


 

All systems go for Tweede Nuwe Jaar celebrations
2 January 2018, 2:06 PM

Organisers of the Cape Town Street Parade formerly known as “Tweede Nuwe Jaar” celebrations say they have focused on creating a glitch free event this year. Sixty colourful and lively minstrel troupes are marching through the city centre as part of one of the Mother City’s biggest and oldest calendar events.

It is all systems go as the highly anticipated Cape Town Street Parade moves into top gear.  It is estimated that 100 000 people are attending.

Event organiser Moneeb Gambino says this year’s event promised to go down glitch free. He says additional entertainment is staged this year with the Riel dancers and other well-known performers keeping the crowd on their feet.

Meanwhile families who have lined the streets to secure the perfect seats say they have been camped out to ensure they do not miss a beat.

 

Weather

 

SABC © 2021