For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Lerato Matlala (Page 3)

Author Archives: Lerato Matlala

David Makhura
Makhura dismisses allegations that his family benefited from PPE procurement
10 August 2020, 6:22 PM

Gauteng Premier David Makhura has dismissed as fake news allegations about the involvement of his family in Personal Protective Equipment procurement. In a statement, his office says neither his wife nor his children are doing business with the government.

“The allegations are false and will not pass scrutiny. The same social media post makes allegations about an inappropriate relationship (“side chick”) between the Premier and the official who has resigned from the Department of Health. These are unfounded and baseless allegations.”

The Gauteng government says the allegations are a smear campaign aimed to turn attention away from those who benefitted from PPE corruption.

“We will not be deterred in our fight against corruption. All those found guilty of any wrongdoing will face the full might of the law. All the crooks must face a jail term as a true reflection of our seriousness about fighting corruption. “

Premier Makhura will, on a personal basis, open a case and pursue legal action against those responsible for generating and spreading the allegations.

Statement from Premier below:

More government officials accused of corruption 

Amongst those alleged to have benefitted from PPE corruption is Presidential spokesperson Khusela Diko’s husband.  This is after allegations surfaced claiming that her husband’s company had received a R125 million PPE tender through a friendship with Gauteng Health MEC Bandile Masuku.

The three have taken a leave of absence from their positions. President Cyril Ramaphosa has appointed a ministerial team to compile and publish details of all COVID-19 related contracts awarded by all state entities.

Gauteng Health officials linked to PPE corruption to face criminal charges:

Legendary radio host Bob Mabena passes on
10 August 2020, 5:44 PM

Radio legend Bob Mabena has passed on. The 51-year-old passed away this afternoon from cardiac arrest.

“Bob Mabena was admitted to hospital on Saturday. He was discharged from hospital today, on his way home with his wife, he complained of some pains and they turned back to the hospital where he was admitted in the ICU and later announced dead,” says Power FM chairperson Given Mkhari.

His friend, Winston Maimane says Mabena had a lung infection which he has always suffered from.

“Bob complained of not feeling well this past Friday. He subsequently ended up in hospital on Saturday. Up to last night when I spoke to him, he had pretty much recovered from what we could tell and he was due to be discharged this morning which did happen. On the way home, we got a call to say that he had pretty much relapsed 5 minutes or so after leaving the hospital. We rushed back to the hospital while he was being attended to. I guess the doctors were still trying to resuscitate him. Two hours or so later we got the news that they could not save his life and he had passed.”

Mabena’s radio career spans over 30 years.  He has worked with Metro FM, Highveld Stereo, Kaya FM, and most recently Power FM.

He also co-hosted the 90’s hit music television show Studio Mix with Melanie Bala. Last year Mabena hosted the South African Music Awards.

In the file video below, SABC catches up with Bob Mabena:

People have taken to social media to send their tributes.

 

 

 

 

 

Helenvale community embarks on cleaning campaign at closed clinic
10 August 2020, 4:06 PM

The residents of Helenvale in Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape have embarked on a cleanup campaign at the Helenvale Clinic in an attempt to get the only clinic in the area, to reopen.

The clinic has been closed for two years due to gangsters and several shooting incidents, which posed danger to staff and patients at the clinic.

Residents, mostly women, opted to get their hands dirty by cleaning around the clinic. They are pleading with the Eastern Cape Department of Health to intervene and bring back the much-needed health care service to them.

They have been pleading for the reopening of the health facility for nearly two years now because it’s the only one in the gang-ridden area. They say elderly residents, pregnant women, and children walk more than three kilometers to reach the nearest clinic and many are often robbed along the way.

“I cannot go anymore to Malabar; it’s so far.  Sometimes I don’t have money for taxi fares; I have to take two taxis.  Sometimes there is no transport that is why my concern is to clean here, help to open the clinic; it’s a distance for me to get any treatment. I have high blood; I must get my treatment every month, “says one of the residents Lena Stuurman.

Residents explain how the closure of the clinic has affected them: 

Western Cape economy continues to suffer: Winde
10 August 2020, 3:55 PM

Western Cape Premier Alan Winde says even with the slowing down of coronavirus infections in the province the economy continues to suffer. Winde says businesses that employ tens of thousands of people are struggling under continued restrictions on economic activity.

Thousands of people have lost their jobs over the past five months as businesses face closure. Winde says if the lockdown regulations are not relaxed further and a ban on the sale of alcohol lifted, many more will have to close.

Winde says nearly 200 000 people from vulnerable communities will no longer have an income to put food on the table.

“ We have flattened the curve sufficiently that we will support the opening of the economy safely.  Each and every one of those businesses need to operate under a new normal but our capacity is now in place sufficiently to allow economic growth and job creation.”

The Western Cape has a total of 99959 coronavirus cases. This is 17.9% of the total number of cases in South Africa. The province has recorded 3399 deaths and 86677 recoveries.

Below are the latest SA coronavirus stats:

 

Loading...

Loading…

Meanwhile, Western Cape Transport MEC Bonginkosi Madikizela is visiting the Garden Route to assess compliance with COVID-19 regulations at long-distance taxi ranks.

Madikizela met role players in the taxi and bus industries and also travelled to several roadblocks in the region.
He says his department wants to ensure that both public transport commuters and operators are safe as numbers increase in the region.

“The entire Western Cape we are seeing the curve has flattened so we are now targeting certain areas that are concerning and this is one of those areas and with the behaviour and the adherence to the regulations it’s quite pleasing.”

SA envoys to Zimbabwe visit Mnangagwa
10 August 2020, 2:41 PM

South Africa’s special envoys to Zimbabwe, Baleka Mbete and Syndey Mufamadi have paid a courtesy visit to President Emmerson Mnangagwa this afternoon.

The pair were appointed by President Cyril Rampahosa last week after calls for South Africa to assess recent incidents of alleged human rights violations in Zimbabwe.

Last month, security forces cracked down on anti-corruption activists for convening or participating in demonstrations.  At least half a dozen people were arrested for partaking in peaceful protests in their communities.

Zimbabwe government denies that it has violated human rights:

Investigative journalist Hopewell Chin’ono’s bail appeal dismissed

Last week,  Zimbabwe’s High Court dismissed investigative journalist Hopewell Chin’ono’s appeal for bailThe journalist was arrested last month and charged with inciting public violence.

The charges are related to Chin’ono promoting anti-corruption demonstrations that took place on 31 July. The High Court delivered the judgment without any reasons for the decision. The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ)  labeled the decision a vindictive move by authorities.

Weather

 

SABC © 2020