For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Bomkazi Malobola (Page 2)

Author Archives: Bomkazi Malobola

Concern over spike in alcohol-related trauma cases
7 June 2020, 12:00 AM

There has been a spike in alcohol-related crimes since South Africa moved to Level 3 of the nationwide lockdown.

This has sparked concerns that the lifting of the ban may reverse the gains made so far in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

In the video below President Cyril Ramaphosa announces the move to Level 3 nationwide lockdown

The largest hospital in Africa, the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital is one of the health facilities that are treating COVID-19 patients.

Officials say trauma cases have been increasing since Monday.

Health Minister, Dr Zweli Mkhize has expressed concern over this.

He has echoed President Cyril Ramaphosa’s call to South Africans to drink and act responsibly.

Law enforcement agencies on the other hand have reiterated that those caught violating lockdown regulations will be brought to book.

Below is an infographic of what will be permitted during level 3 lockdown:

 

Saturday marked the first weekend since South Africans were allowed to buy alcohol amid the coronavirus lockdown that began in late March.

Corruption derailed ANC from its core mandate: Mlangeni
6 June 2020, 5:55 AM

African National Congress (ANC) struggle veteran and the only remaining Rivonia Trialist Andrew Mlangeni says he can only thank God for keeping him so long. Mlangeni is celebrating his 95th birthday on Saturday.

He spent over two decades in Robben Island with Nelson Mandela and Walter Sisulu among others fighting for the country’s freedom.

SABC Political Correspondent Ntebo Mokobo spent a day with Mlangeni on the eve of his birthday at his home in Soweto. Mlangeni is the only Rivonia trialist still alive.

Last remaining ANC Rivonia trialist, Andrew Mlangeni, turns 95 on Saturday:

One of his lifelong friend and comrade Dennis Goldberg passed away earlier in 2020. But at 95, Mlangeni still has a sharp mind and remembers almost everything about his life and times in the ANC.

The ANC struggle veteran says 95 years on earth has been a good long road.

”It’s been a long road to freedom. It’s been a long road also for me to reach this age. I have always said to people I wouldn’t mind dying before I reach 95 and people are always saying to me, ‘Mlangeni, it’s not your choice. It’s God who decides whether you are going to reach 95 or 100.’ But there it is, 95. I am thankful to my creator for having looked after me until I reach that age that I didn’t want to reach. I said, ‘God, thank you very much for looking after me until this day.”’

But he says his biggest disappointment was the corruption that had rocked the ANC which derailed it from its core mandate of ensuring a better life for all.

”When we elected people to become our leaders in government we elected, at the time, people in whom we had confidence that they will carry out the policies of the ANC, that of bringing about prosperity and peace in our country. But our leadership associated with the people who are corrupt. You know the Guptas. It is not a secret anymore. We are terribly disappointed by those people whom we have confidence (in) that they fell victims to the Guptas.”

Mlangeni has called on South Africans to respect guidelines aimed at fighting COVID-19:

And he implored young people to sacrifice if they want to build a better country.

”Our future is in the youth not in ourselves. I have played my part, but the youth of our country … this is their land; this is their country. We made sacrifices when we joined MK ourselves. We knew we will be arrested and some will die. Before we even reach(ed) the stage (we knew) you have got to sacrifice ”

As he celebrates 95 years, the ANC stalwart says it’s unfortunate that he can’t invite people to his big day because of the lockdown restrictions, but says he hopes to inspire younger generations to work hard for their country.

Additional reporting by SABC Political Editor Mzwandile Mbeje 

Cyril Ramaphosa
Struggle against racism, related intolerance must be a relentless struggle: Ramaphosa
5 June 2020, 10:29 PM

President Cyril Ramaphosa says race remains a defining feature of many societies and South Africa is a country that has been defined by a racial and unequal society.

Ramaphosa says the government will ensure that those responsible for the death of Collins Khosa will be brought to book and face the full might of the law.

He was speaking during a virtual launch of the ANC’s ‘Black Friday’ campaign to show solidarity with African Americans, as global outrage continues over the killing of George Floyd at the hands of the police in the US.

The African National Congress (ANC) president says the world must continue to strive for a just and tolerant global community that does not define a person by the colour of their skin, their sexual preference or religious affiliation.

“As the world acknowledged at the UN world conference against racism in Durban in 2001, the struggle against racism and related intolerances must be a relentless struggle. We must develop systematic programmes to tackle it both nationally and on a global level as well based on an understanding that all human beings are created equal and must be seen as being equal before the law.”

The ANC president Cyril Ramaphosa on Friday launched the Alliance Anti-racism Campaign: 


In his speech, Ramaphosa says: “We bow our heads in memory of George Floyd, a black man who was killed by a white police officer in the US city of Minneapolis on Monday, 25 May.” He sent his deepest condolences to his family and friends, also to his community, adding that the death of Floyd is not just an American tragedy, it is a global tragedy.

Cities across the United States have witnessed mass protests over several days and nights, some of which have been violently suppressed.

In the video below, SABC News correspondent in New York, Sherwin Bryce-Pease, gives an update on the situation in the US:

MEDIA STATEMENT AND THE LAUNCH THE ANTI- #RACISM CAMPAIGN BY: The Alliance Political Council and Secretariat deepened Alliance engagements & consultation in the face of the #coronavirus #COVID__19 pandemic, especially following confirmation of the first positive case in SA. pic.twitter.com/T9A2E2hfsg

— African National Congress (@MYANC) June 4, 2020

‘Fight against chains of capitalism’

Cosatu president Zingiswa Losi has called on workers to fight against the chains of capitalism especially during this period of the COVID-19 pandemic when he says workers are sacrificed by employers for profit.

Losi says workers are facing extremely difficult conditions, “Workers can’t breathe when inequality persists and there are no consequences for employers that blatantly disregard the employment equity act workers cant breathe the equal pay for work of equal value which is a convention 100 of the ILO which has been domesticated in our country under the employment equity act workers can’t breathe when convention 190 relating to eliminating violence and harassment in the world of work still has not been ratified.”

SACP  decries transformation

Communist Party General Secretary Blade Nzimande says racism in South Africa is structural and largely influenced by the economic conditions of citizens.

Nzimande was one of the panelists at the launch of the ANC and its alliance partner’s virtual anti-racism. He has decried what he says is the unwillingness of some sections of the private sector to contribute towards transformation.

“Our economy is still largely white-dominated not just in terms of ownership but also in terms of skills. And some of the very important skills that keep any economy going like engineering, like finance, like legal still dominated by big law firms. Government has done a lot to foster changes in this regard but unfortunately, the reality is that that sphere of the private sector that is not dependent on doing business with the government very little has changed.”

SANDF Members
Investigations into Collins Khoza’s death far from closed: Defence Ministry
5 June 2020, 8:01 PM

The Defence Ministry is insisting that investigations into the death of Alexandra resident, Collins Khosa, are far from closed and that the Military Ombud is expected to complete a report into the matter within a period of eight weeks.

The ministry has issued a statement admitting that Minister Nosiviwe Maphisa Ngqakula was incorrect when she told the joint standing committee on defence that the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) probe into Khosa’s death might be re-opened after the military reportedly found that Khosa had not died from injuries he allegedly sustained during a beating at the hands of soldiers.

The apparent exoneration of the soldiers by the SANDF has been questioned by a number of observers.

Maphisa Ngqakula says in addition to the Ombud’s investigation into the matter, a criminal investigation is also being conducted by the police.

Meanwhile, the family of Collins Khosa says they wish the same sense of outrage was displayed at his death compared to that of US citizen George Floyd. Khosa died, allegedly at the hands of soldiers in Alexandra during the early part of the lockdown.

The High Court in Pretoria ruled that the soldiers be suspended and the army produces a report into the matter. However, the SANDF report apparently says Khosa’s death cannot be linked to the injuries he sustained.

Since the lockdown began, 11 South Africans have reportedly died as a result of actions by police or defence force members.

The Defence Ministry says investigations are continuing by the Military Ombud and police.

In an exclusive interview with the SABC, Khosa’s partner Nomsa says they are very confused over the latest developments.

“It seems like we can’t put our voice out there. We are asking ourselves what have we done. We also lost our loved one. People are talking about it out there but South Africa where are you? We also lost someone that we wanted to be with. Is it because we are from a poor family who comes from Alexandra township?”

The graph below provides details of how you can report brutality against security personnel:

 

Loading...

Loading…

Demonstration outside US Embassy in Pretoria 

Civil rights movement ‘Not in My Name’ has added its voice to the call for justice for the police killing of American George Floyd. The movement also demands justice for Collins Khosa, allegedly killed by the SANDF in April 2020.

‘Not in My Name’ held a demonstration outside the United States Embassy in Hatfield, Pretoria.

Ministry of Defence’s media statement on Collins Khosa :

Whoopi Goldberg teams with Extinction Rebellion for climate change movie
5 June 2020, 7:08 PM

American actress Whoopi Goldberg has lent her voice to an Extinction Rebellion animated film highlighting the precarious state of the planet’s natural environment.

The three-minute film entitled “Gigantic Change” was released on Friday to coincide with World Environment Day. It is set in 2050 and shows a girl asking her grandmother, voiced by Goldberg, to read a “happy” bedtime story.

After the grandmother chronicles a gloomy planet on the brink of environmental collapse back in 2020, the girl finishes off the tale, switching the narrative to one where the world came together to tackle climate change and protect nature.

While the ending is deliberately ambiguous, the film offers a message of hope. The year 2050 is significant as it is when many nations have committed to becoming carbon neutral.

The film was created by Passion Pictures, the London studio behind the Rang-tan film for British supermarket chain Iceland highlighting the threat of the palm oil industry to orangutans.

With the world slowly emerging from lockdown as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, climate action group Extinction Rebellion has been pushing the message that the human race must seize the opportunity to create a greener future.

The film ends with a caption saying that unless the human race changes course, by the year 2050 one billion people will be displaced and half of all species extinct.

Asked about Oscar-winner Goldberg’s involvement, co-director George Lewin said: “We thought her iconic voice would bring a perfect sense of gravitas to the performance. Plus she is outspoken on environmental issues and had the potential to inspire her followers to take action.

Gigantic Change went live on Extinction Rebellion’s Facebook, Youtube, Twitter and Instagram platforms on Friday.

Weather

 

SABC © 2020