The Bonteheuwel mother arrested for child pornography is back in court
19 August 2021, 8:44 AM
The case against a 32-year-old woman from Bonteheuwel on the Cape Flats who was arrested for allegedly selling naked photographs of her four-year-old daughter resumes on Thursday in the Bishop Lavis Magistrate’s Court.
The woman was arrested in July following an investigation by the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in the Western Cape says the FBI discovered it on the internet and an agent from Homeland Security acted as a buyer and traced her to Bonteheuwel via geo-tagging.
Western Cape NPA spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila says the woman faces charges of manufacturing of child pornography, possession of child pornography, distribution of child pornography and financial gain from child pornography and rape.
The suspect is yet to apply for bail.
The possession of child pornography is a crime:
The case of Hezekiel Mngono who allegedly shot two Mpumalanga officers postponed
19 August 2021, 8:22 AM
The case of Hezekiel Mngono who allegedly shot two police officers in Nkomazi Municipality, Mpumalanga, has been postponed to Tuesday for further investigation.
The suspect appeared in the Tonga Magistrate’s Court on charges of murder and attempted murder.
Mngono allegedly shot the police officers when they arrived on the scene of a business burglary. One of them, Amos Themba, succumbed to his injuries.
The two policemen were shot while conducting their routine duties of patrolling at Block C in Tonga under the Nkomazi Municipality.
The suspect opened fire upon realising that there were policemen doing patrols.
The police were unaware that there was a business burglary. One of the officers was shot dead.
The case has been postponed to next Tuesday for further investigation.
Walt Disney says its US theme parks will offer an option to pay for quicker access to some of its most popular rides.
The feature is part of the rollout of Disney Genie, a digital tool designed to help visitors maximise their time at the parks.
Disneyland parks are operating at limited capacity due to the COVID-19 pandemic and require masks while visitors are indoors.
The company says Disney Genie will be free through the Disneyland and MyDisney Experience apps.
An upgrade called Disney Genie+ will provide access to”Lightning Lanes” for quicker entry at a specific time to more than 15 attractions at California’s Disneyland and 40+ rides at Walt Disney World in Florida.
Disney Genie+ will cost $15 per ticket per day at Walt Disney World in Florida and $20 at California’s Disneyland.
The company will also let visitors pay individually for Lightning Lane privileges at up to two select rides per day.
The price for that access has not been announced.
The new line options will replace the quicker Fast Pass lines at both parks and the MaxPass queues at Disneyland.
MaxPass, launched in 2017, let Disneyland viewers pay to book FastPass access from their phones for $20 a day.
The free Disney Genie service also aims to cut wait times by steering guests to their most coveted experiences at the optimal moment.
Disney Chief Executive Bob Chapek, who previously ran the theme parks division, told analysts last week: “Guests are going to spend less time waiting and more time having fun.”
Visitors can tell Disney Genie if they are most interested in Star Wars, princesses, superheroes or Pixar, for example, and which rides, restaurants and shows they want to experience.
The service will suggest the itineraries based on real-time information and provide updates as circumstances change, the company said.
Rand breaks R15 to the dollar level in midday Asian trade
This as the dollar continues to strengthen, which usually weakens the rand.
The dollar is strengthening as US investors await the release of the Federal Reserve’s July policy meeting minutes for an indication of a possible rise in interest rates in the US.
In South Africa, expectations for a rise in interest rates have been lowered due to a better-than-expected consumer price inflation rate for July at 4.6 percent.
JSE remains closed after record trade volumes
Trading on the JSE was delayed due to Tuesday’s huge trading volumes that reached a record R145 billion that still needs to be processed.
The local bourse asked clients to exercise caution when placing orders with the JSE while the opening has been delayed.
Market analysts Patrick Mathidi attributed the delays to the implementation of the share swop between Naspers and its subsidiary Prosus.
The deal led to Naspers now having a smaller weighting on the JSE.
Mathidi says, “The JSE announced late yesterday that there may be a delay in today’s trading session, the reason being that we saw the largest corporate action announced a few weeks ago which became effective yesterday where Naspers and Prosus are exchanging shares among themselves. Prosus is a subsidiary of Naspers. The board of both companies decided to increase shares among themselves.”
ANC on track to submit election candidate list to the IEC: Mabe
19 August 2021, 6:10 AM
The African National Congress (ANC) says it will meet Monday’s deadline to submit its candidate list to the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) for the upcoming Local Government Elections.
The ANC is facing internal challenges, where employees continue on a go-slow, demanding better working conditions and that salaries be paid on time which has not been the case for several months now.
The IEC’s application to have the elections postponed to next year will be heard in the Constitutional Court on Friday.
ANC national spokesperson Pule Mabe says, “As it relates to us in finalising the current situation, especially making finality to those men and women who will be part of the local level and even in our propulsion list for the upcoming local government, we have gotten that kind of an assurance. I can tell you now that cadres of the ANC including those that are in the employ of the party are working around the clock to make sure that we would be able to fulfil the timeline and the deadline as set out by the IEC.”
Unpacking all matters affecting the ANC with Pule Mabe:
Communities must be represented by candidates of their choice in the LGE: ANC
In a media briefing, Motlanthe said that the candidate selection process cannot be completed without the participation of communities.
ANC branches in terms of the rules and procedures of the candidate selection process are required to choose four people to represent them in the polls.
He says once a candidate has been endorsed by a community branch meeting, even if they are not a member of the party, will they be able to stand.
“If the community feels that the four that come from the branch are not equal to the task and do not enjoy the confidence of the community, then the community is free to choose whom so ever if that person who commands the respect and confidence of the community happens to not be a member of the ANC, they are then given the latitude to join and take up membership of the ANC.”
Earlier, ANC Acting Secretary-General Jessie Duarte said the party is preparing for elections should the polls go ahead on October 27.
ANC media briefing on candidate selection for the Local Government Elections: