For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Lindiwe Mabena (Page 240)

Author Archives: Lindiwe Mabena

Magoshi Swaranang Movement
Elections 2019: Magoshi Swaranang Movement
1 May 2019, 2:53 PM

Party abbreviation: MSM

In the 2019 general elections, Magoshi Swaranang Movement will be vying for seats in the National Assembly and provincially in Limpopo only.
It was formed by several Limpopo traditional leaders last year following the VBS Mutual Bank scandal and the ANC’s perceived failure to tackle corruption.
MSM is pushing for the preservation of traditional values.

A party manifesto was not available at the time of publication.

 

 

Old SA flag
AfriForum wants apartheid flag ban case thrown out of court
29 April 2019, 5:21 PM

The apartheid flag has sparked debate among South Africans. This is after the Nelson Mandela Foundation asked the courts to declare public and private display of the flag unlawful.

AfriForum is leading the backlash against the move. The parties are squaring it off in the Equality Court in Johannesburg.

A symbol of the white supremacy and oppression for millions of South Africans. There’s now debate whether it still has a place in post-apartheid South Africa.

There’s now a tug-of-war between the Nelson Mandela Foundation and groups that want to preserve the flag.

Lobby group AfriForum wants the court application to have the gratuitous display of the apartheid flag banned dismissed.

AfriForum says the court does not have the power to make a declaration of constitutional invalidity.

It’s denied being in court to defend the apartheid flag, saying the move is in defense of freedom of expression.

The organisation’s lawyer Mark Oppenheimer rejects assertion that using the apartheid flag constitutes hate speech.

He says it’s important for people to be allowed to express themselves freely even if their views or symbols may be offensive, unless they’re accompanied by violence.

AfriForum believes the matter is not ready for trial and should be dismissed.

The Nelson Mandela Foundation and the South African Human Rights Commission made the application to have the flag outlawed.

The legal battle followed the use of the old flag during an AfriForum-organised Black Monday protest against farm murders in 2017.

The Mandela Foundation and the Human Rights Commission says the flag stands for racial domination and has no place in democratic South Africa.

Watch video below for more on the story:

38 killed as floods worsen in Mozambique after second cyclone
29 April 2019, 4:23 PM

Heavy rain battered northern Mozambique on Monday as residents and relief workers confronted the widespread devastation wrought by Cyclone Kenneth, the strongest cyclone to ever hit Africa, which killed 38 people and destroyed thousands of homes.

Roads have been washed away, fields submerged and many buildings wrecked by the storm, which came weeks after Cyclone Idai hit the Mozambican city of Beira, 1,000 kilometres (620 miles) to the south.

Cyclone Kenneth made landfall late on Thursday in Cabo Delgado province, packing wind gusts of up to 220 kilometres per hour.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) described it as the strongest cyclone to ever lash the continent, and predicted further heavy rain over the coming days.

“Cyclone Kenneth made landfall at the end of the rainy season, when river levels were already high, increasing the risk of river flooding,” the UN agency said in its latest update.

“Humanitarian needs in Mozambique have sky-rocketed, and the humanitarian response will need to rapidly scale-up.”

According to figures provided by the Mozambique authorities to NGOs, around 200,000 people in Pemba city, the capital of Cabo Delgado, are in danger.

According to a preliminary toll from the National Institute of Disaster Management (INGC), 38 people have died, 39 have been injured, more than 23,000 people are without shelter and nearly 35,000 homes have been either partly or completely destroyed.

– ‘We don’t know what we’ll do’ –

“The water came inside the house and all the way to the backyard,” said Sumala Cabila, 23, standing in his family home in Pemba’s working-class Piquite suburb which flooded on Sunday morning.

As rain poured down and roads in the district became unpassable except for 4-wheel-drive vehicles, Cabila’s sister struggled to look after her one-month-old child.

“If it continues to rain. we don’t know what we’ll do,” he said as water streamed of his slanted roof.

In Pemba, a tourist destination, staff mopped up pools of water at a hotel and cleared tree branches out of the lobby fountain, while labourers struggled to clear out the city’s drainage system blocked by flood debris.

“(We) planned to mobilise as much aid as possible to Ibo and also from there to Quissanga via Roa,” said UN OCHA official Saviano Abreu, naming two areas outside Pemba worst hit by storm damage and flooding.

“It was the priority for government and humanitarian organisations, as these two areas are in urgent need.

“We managed to send one flight with World Food Programme (WFP) supplies of rice and biscuits, and some non-food items. But unfortunately the weather conditions are changing too fast and threatening the operation. It’s raining again and the second flight couldn’t go.”

To the north of Pemba, the town of Macomia was also badly hit, with homes and businesses destroyed, roofs torn off, trees and electric pylons uprooted.

“We have grave fears for the thousands of families currently taking shelter under the wreckage of their homes. They urgently need food, water and shelter to survive the coming days,” said Nicholas Finney, head of Save the Children’s response team in Mozambique.

The northern region hit by Cyclone Kenneth is more sparsely populated than Beira, which was hit by Cyclone Idai in mid-March.

But the area has also been hard hit by deadly raids by a jihadist group over the past 18 months that the army has been unable to control.

Before smashing into Mozambique, Kenneth passed by the Comoros islands.

Nomgcobo Jiba
President fires Jiba, Mrwebi
26 April 2019, 12:44 PM

President Cyril Ramaphosa has axed suspended senior National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) advocates, Nomgcobo Jiba and Lawrence Mrwebi.

This after a report, by retired Constitutional Court Justice Yvonne Mokgoro, established that the pair is unfit to hold office in the NPA.

The reports details that the two had compromised integrity, lack leadership skills and have poor ethical standards.

President Cyril Ramaphosa had asked Justice Mokgoro to probe the advocates following questions over their fitness to hold office.

They were suspended last year and had been given until the 16th of this month to give reasons why they shouldn’t be fired.

WATCH RELATED VIDEO BELOW:

Patricia De Lille holding a poster
De Lille vs DA case referred to Electoral Court
26 April 2019, 11:52 AM

The Cape Town High Court has referred the telemarketing case between Good party leader Patricia de Lille and the Democratic Alliance (DA) to the Electoral Court. Judge Robert Martin believes the Electoral Court is most appropriate to deal with the matter as the dispute is of a political nature.

De Lille had applied for an urgent interdict to order the DA to publicly apologise to her for telling voters she was fired from the party when she had resigned and quit as Mayor of Cape Town last year.  She’s concerned the message could derail her new party’s election campaign.

The DA defied a previous order by the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) to apologise to De Lille, saying the electoral body acted beyond it’s mandate in making the ruling. The official opposition party has already lodged papers at the Electoral court seeking a review of the IEC’s decision.

 

Weather

 

SABC © 2021