For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Lindiwe Mabena (Page 205)

Author Archives: Lindiwe Mabena

City of Tshwane placed under administration
5 March 2020, 8:57 AM

The City of Tshwane has been placed under administration.

Gauteng Premier David Makhura and Human Settlements and Co-operative Governance MEC, Lebogang Maile, communicated the Gauteng Executive Council’s decision on Thursday.

The council invoked section 139 (c) of the Constitution, effectively dissolving the Tshwane Municipal Council.

In the video below, Premier Makhura explains the rationale behind the decision:

An administrator will be appointed to run South Africa’s capital city until a new council is elected within 90 days.

The governance and leadership crisis in Tshwane has been going on for months now.

The situation was exacerbated by the resignation of Mayor Stevens Mokgalapa in February, which led to the automatic dissolution of the entire executive council.

Acting City Manager Makgorometje Makgata’s three-month contract had also come to an end.

In the video below, SABC News Reporter Natasha Phiri chats to the ANC’s Lesego Makhubela on the matter:

Coronavirus declared a global health emergency, Mkhize to address the nation
31 January 2020, 5:00 AM

Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize will on Friday address South Africans on the coronavirus outbreak, which has been declared a global health emergency.

The media briefing will be held in Johannesburg at the offices of the National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NICD).

It comes hours after the World Health Organisation (WHO) reversed its decision to hold back acknowledging that the virus represents a risk beyond China.

WHO confirmed 7 736 infections in China alone and 98 cases in 18 countries outside that country. These include eight cases of human-to-human transmission in the United States, Germany, Vietnam and Japan.

Most of those infected are people who have travelled from the Chinese city of Wuhan, where the outbreak began in December 2019.

Watch related video below:

There are at least 35 South Africans known to be in that city. But there have been no reports of any of them being infected.

Coronavirus has claimed 170 lives so far.

On Wednesday, Minister Mkhize assured South Africans that the country is adequately prepared to deal with the deadly disease.

Every province in the country has a designated hospital to deal with the virus, with Gauteng allocated three health facilities.

See map below for designated hospitals:

 

Special screening measures have been put in place at the OR Tambo International Airport for travellers flying in from China.

Port Health Officials are also said to be conducting routine temperature screening for all international travellers as a precautionary measure.

Watch related video below:

Ramabulana’s alleged killer charged with raping a minor
31 January 2020, 12:58 AM

Charges of raping a minor and housebreaking have been added to the charge sheet of Precious Ramabulana’s alleged killer, Aubrey Manaka.

The 28-year-old appeared in the Morebeng Magistrates Court, in Limpopo, for a second time on Thursday.

The case was postponed to next Tuesday following an instruction from the Deputy Director of Prosecutions (DPP) for him to plea at a higher court.

“One of the instructions by the DPP is that you must plead before the district court in terms of Section 199 of the Criminal Procedure Act,” said Magistrate Lebo Nchabeleng-Raburifi.

“You are facing a charge of rape where it is alleged that you raped a minor child. You are going to face another charge of housebreaking with intent to rape.”

Manaka is also accused of raping and stabbing 21-year-old Ramabulana, who was a Capricorn TVET College student, 52 times.

He was nabbed four days after the 21-year-old’s body was found in her rented room.

For more on the story watch video below:

Tributes pour in for first official female Comrades Marathon winner
30 January 2020, 3:30 AM

Tributes are pouring in for the first official female winner of the Comrades Marathon, Betty Cavanagh. She passed away two days before her 89th birthday.

The ultra-marathon was officially opened to women and people of all races in 1975. Cavanagh is being hailed as a trailblazer in a time when male dominated sports bodies and thought women were too frail for long distance running.

“When you would be running along the road, like for instance in Comrades, and somebody would see a woman ahead, well then they would kill themselves virtually to get ahead of you. And going around the final bend to the finish, there would be these mad sprints for the finish because there was this thing about not being beaten by a woman.  But I think Frith Van Der Merwe put that to bed when she ran and finished 15th overall among the men. And certainly this year we had Gerda Steyn beating some of the recent male winners. So I mean, that’s something that’s certainly been put behind us,” says Comrades Marathon Association chairperson and 1982 female winner Cheryl Winn.

Cavanagh’s daughter Kate Tyson has expressed gratitude at the messages of support that are pouring in after her mother passed away, two days shy of her 89th birthday.

Tyson is proud of her mother’s achievement. She says while women were allowed to take part in Comrades unofficially before 1975, in the 70’s it was thought unladylike for a woman to take part in long distance.

“So there were a lot of obstacles. The ladies those many years ago really had to persevere. And they really made it very easy for us to come and run. Even the way my mom was talking about the running gear. You didn’t have running vests and all the kit that you have today. She had to make her own running vests. Ja, so we had come a long way. And we have benefited from them.”

Tyson and her husband, Dean, say Cavanagh also had a very strong spirit that showed even at the age of 80 when she broke her hip.

“You know a lot of people don’t recover from that . . . She was already 80 . . . She was determined. And she used to get up. To start with she would just walk form their flat to the next flat and back again. Gradually over time she extended it and extended it until eventually she was walking around the whole complex. So there was a determination not to  . . . Hmm . . . Just sit and accept her lot in life. But that she was going to get up and walk and be healthy again . . . Hmm . . .  And it just showed the inner strength she had, which obviously came through in the Comrades marathon as well.”

Cavanagh’s funeral service will be held at Saint Vincent’s Catholic Church in Pietermaritzburg at 10 o’clock on Saturday.

Hoërskool Douglas learner Miné Steenkamp
Budding investigator finds new way of collecting crime scene forensic data
29 January 2020, 7:00 AM

A 16-year-old high school student in the Northern Cape has come up with a fresh way of collecting crime-scene forensic data.

Currently, forensic investigators use a solution called Luminol to detect bloodstains at crime scenes. But this can give false reactions – potentially hampering crime investigations.

Hoërskool Douglas learner Miné Steenkamp’s solution combines Luminol with Malaria fighting medication.

Watch video below for more:

Weather

 

SABC © 2021