RBM temporarily suspends operations due to crime and violence
1 July 2021, 10:46 AM
Mining company, Richards Bay Minerals (RBM), has temporarily suspended its operations due to the ongoing crime and violence against the mine. This after several heavy duty graders and cranes were set alight by unknown suspects.
RBM’s Managing Director – Werner Duvenhage – says because of the recent deterioration in the security situation, parent company Rio Tinto has decided to halt its operations.
“While we work hard to make a lasting positive contribution to the areas in which we operate. The safety of our employees’ contractors and communities remain our utmost priority and therefore we have taken the difficulty decision to seize all activities at our operations. It is vital that those responsible for the recent acts of criminality are identified and brought to book and to that end we hope to continue working with all our stakeholders to solve our common problems,” says Duvenhage.
RBM contributes close to R8 billion to the country’s economy. Its closure will affect 5 000 employees. – Report by Nonhlakanipho Magwaza
Semenya’s Tokyo bid ends as qualifying deadline passes
Athletics South Africa said Semenya had missed the deadline for Olympic entries, which was on Tuesday, and they were told by governing body World Athletics that no exceptions would be allowed. “We did double check with World Athletics about the deadline and it was cast in stone. There would have been no special grace for Caster,” Athletics South Africa spokesman, Sifiso Cele, told Reuters.
The 30-year-old South African is banned from competing in any race from 400m to a mile after World Athletics ruled in 2018 that to ensure fair competition, women with high natural testosterone levels must take medication to reduce them to compete in middle-distance races.
The double Olympic 800m champion, who refuses to take any medication to alter her testosterone levels, was left with the 5000m as her best chance to go to Tokyo but several efforts to finish inside the qualifying mark of 15:10.00 have failed.
On Wednesday, she ran 15:50.12, and was some 45 seconds behind winner Aberash Minsewo of Ethiopia.
Semenya continues to challenge the World Athletics ruling and has taken her case to the European Court of Human Rights but that process is unlikely to be completed for months.
Last year, she attempted the 200m as an alternative, and lowered her personal best from 24.26 to 23.49, but was still well outside of the Olympic qualifying mark of 22.80. She then abandoned those plans in favour of the much longer distance as she said she feared injury.
Trump’s company braces for expected unveiling of criminal tax charges on Thursday
The charges, which were filed on Wednesday but remained sealed, are the first to arise from a nearly three-year probe by New York prosecutors of Trump and his business dealings. Trump himself is not expected to be charged this week, his lawyer has told Reuters, though he said prosecutors had told him their investigation was continuing. But blowback from the case could complicate Trump’s political future as he considers a possible 2024 White House run.
The charges are expected to focus on whether the Trump Organisation’s CFO Allen Weisselberg and other executives received perks and benefits such as rent-free apartments and leased cars without reporting them properly on their tax returns, people familiar with the probe have said. They stem from the investigation into the company’s business dealings by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance.
Grand jury convened in investigation into Trump’s businesses:
Weisselberg and the company are expected to be arraigned on Thursday, said the person familiar with the matter, speaking on condition of anonymity. Trump’s lawyer Ronald Fischetti told Reuters on Monday that prosecutors suggested the charges would be related to taxes and fringe benefits and that Trump himself would not be charged in the indictment. “This will be their first blow,” Fischetti said of the prosecutors, adding that they had said in a meeting last week that they were still pursuing their investigation.
Mary Mulligan, a lawyer for Weisselberg, has declined to comment on possible charges. In a statement on Monday, Trump called prosecutors biased and said his company’s actions were “in no way a crime.” The Trump Organisation could face fines and other penalties if convicted.
Focus on perks, gifts
Charges could increase pressure on Weisselberg to cooperate with prosecutors, which he has resisted. Weisselberg is a close Trump confidant, making his cooperation potentially crucial to any future case against the former president.
A private family-run business, the Trump Organisation operates hotels, golf courses, and resorts around the world. The indictment, by itself, could undermine the Trump Organisation’s relationships with banks and business partners.
Trump, a Republican, was elected president in November 2016. Before entering the White House in January 2017 – he put his company into a trust overseen by his adult sons and Weisselberg, a family friend who maintained tight control over company finances.
Court filings, public records and subpoenaed documents have shown that Weisselberg and his son Barry have received perks and gifts potentially worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, including many benefits related to real estate.
The case could be charged as a scheme by the company to pay people off the books in order to hide assets over many years. Prosecutors in Vance’s office accelerated their focus on the Trump Organisation’s use of perks and benefits last fall.
The office of New York state Attorney General Letitia James, which had also been looking into the Trump Organisation, said in May that its probe had turned into a criminal investigation and that it had joined forces with Vance’s office.
Vance, a Democrat, has examined an array of potential wrongdoing, including whether Trump’s company manipulated the value of its real estate to reduce its taxes and secure favourable loan terms. It is unclear what role Trump now has at the company.
England boss Southgate heaps praise on ‘fighter’ Sterling
1 July 2021, 5:41 AM
England coach Gareth Southgate has praised Raheem Sterling’s “incredible resilience and hunger” after the Manchester City forward helped them reach the quarter-finals of Euro 2020.
Sterling has been one of England’s top performers at the tournament, scoring three times in four games. He opened the scoring in Tuesday’s 2-0 victory over Germany which set them on their way to the clash with Ukraine in Rome on Saturday.
The 26-year-old has scored 15 goals in his last 20 England appearances, having gone 27 games without a goal before that. “He is a fighter,” Southgate told British media on Wednesday.
“He has developed over the last couple of years this real hunger to score. “He is finding himself in these areas and yes, his drive is fantastic, we know the journey he has been on with England and I am so happy for him to be able to deliver the performances he has.”
Sterling’s selection had come under question with the emergence of new attacking talent in the squad but Southgate said the forward was happy to prove the critics wrong.
“To deliver them at Wembley will have been really special for him and the goals return is incredible,” Southgate. “Absolutely incredible, really, but yes, please keep asking the questions because if we cannot motivate him everyone else will certainly be able to.”
VIDEO | State Capture Inquiry, former Eskom exec Prish Govender’s testimony
30 June 2021, 4:34 PM
Former Eskom executive Prish Govender continues testimony at The Judicial Commission of Inquiry into allegations of State Capture. Govender resigned from the power utility in 2018.