For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Lindiwe Mabena (Page 18)

Author Archives: Lindiwe Mabena

sabc newsZuma homestead
Zuma emerges from his home for first time since damning Concourt ruling
3 July 2021, 3:05 PM

Former president Jacob Zuma has emerged from his home in Nkandla, flanked by AmaZulu regiments (Amabutho) and leaders of his supporters.

This is the first time he is seen after the Concourt decision sending him to jail.

A large number of people including, some members of Amabutho, ANC members and supporters have gathered outside the former president’s home.

The Amabutho are singing hymns, while ANC members and supporters are chanting pro- Zuma songs.

Some of the ANC members have come from other provinces.

Police have been spotted patrolling the area with a few monitoring at a distance. Some supporters are not wearing masks, which is in contravention of the lockdown level 4 regulations.

EFF leader, Julius Malema, has warned both president Cyril Ramaphosa and Police Minister, Bheki Cele, to make sure that the country doesn’t see a repeat of the Marikana massacre in Nkandla.

“Ramaphosa and Bheki Cele should not think they will shoot our people the same way they did in Marikana. We are not part of what’s happening in Nkandla – but no one who suffer from the interest of absolute power should use fire to kill our people in KwaZulu-Natal,” he says.

Update from outside Zuma’s homestead:

The former president arrived in Nkandla on Friday night after having been away from home since Tuesday.

He is expected to address his supporters on the Constitutional Court saga on Sunday afternoon, hours before the deadline for him to hand himself over to the authorities to start serving his 15-month jail sentence.

The deadline is at midnight on Sunday.

The Constitutional Court sentenced Zuma after finding him guilty of contempt of court for ignoring the Apex Court’s directive that he continue testifying at the State Capture Commission.

While some have hailed the ruling as a landmark, some have slammed it – rejecting it as unfair and emotional.

Zuma files urgent application against ConCourt ruling:

Below is an online rally calling for South Africans to respect the Concourt ruling:

Kaunda’s funeral under way
2 July 2021, 12:00 PM

The funeral of the late Zambian President Kenneth Kaunda has begun in Lusaka.

Foreign dignitaries from South Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia are among the mourners scheduled to pay their last respects to the elderly statesman.

The 97-year-old died in hospital from pneumonia last month.

Live proceedings of the funeral:

The funeral is taking place at the Lusaka showgrounds following a week of provincial memorial services and lying in state.

Concerns over the numerous crowd gathering events have been raised as the country battles record breaking daily COVID-19 infections.

Looking back at the life of Zambia’s first president:

Remembering Kaunda:

Zuma’s supporters march in Gqeberha, MKMVA to hold media briefing
2 July 2021, 11:10 AM

Support for former president Jacob Zuma continues to stream in. Umkhonto we Sizwe Military Veterans Association (MKMVA) national spokesperson, Carl Niehaus, will address the media later on Friday afternoon on the former president’s sentence and other developments on the matter.

And the former deputy president of the African National Congress Youth League, Andile Lungisa, is leading a march in Gqeberha, Eastern Cape.

They are taking a petition to the Motherwell High Court over the Constitutional Court’s decision to sentence Zuma to 15 months in prison.

He says the petition will also be delivered to president Cyril Ramaphosa and the Judicial Service Commission, among others.

The group believes that the Constitutional Court expropriated power, which it does not have.

More on that in the video below:

This as more supporters continue to descend on Nkandla, in northern KwaZulu-Natal, to show their solidarity with Zuma. They also believe the Constitutional Court’s judgment is unfair.

On Tuesday, the former president was sentenced to 15 months imprisonment for contempt of court after he refused to appear before the State Capture Commission. Zuma’s supporters have vowed to prevent law enforcement agencies from arresting the former president.

One of Zuma’s supporters, Ntando Khuzwayo from Durban, says the Constitutional Court declared war when it sentenced him to imprisonment.

“We think it is senseless to take a 79-year-old man and put him behind bars during such a difficult time when people are dying of COVID and our jails are over populated as you would know. And if they want they arrest him, then they must arrest us. We are ready to be arrested. I mean, I’ve got nothing to lose. I’m offering myself. they can take me instead of him because you cannot arrest a 79- year-old man and put him behind bars and think he will survive. He is going to die in jail. we just entered third wave,” says Khuzwayo.

Zuma supporters gather at his Nkandla home:

Zuma’s foundation has also tweeted that the former president will address the nation this weekend.

Meanwhile Acting Deputy Chief Justice, Sisi Khampepe, has signed a letter of committal for the former president’s incarceration. According to it, Zuma will be held at the Westville Prison.

VIDEO | Justice Moseneke Inquiry – Day 5
2 July 2021, 9:09 AM

The hearings into the feasibility of holding South Africa’s local government elections amid the COVID-19 have resumed.

Various political heavyweights will make submissions on Friday.

These include the Deputy Secretary-General of the ANC, Jessie Duarte, the leader of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF), Julius Malema, and United Democratic Movement leader, Bantu Holomisa.

Proceedings below:

sabc news trump org
Trump Organisation, CFO charged for alleged tax fraud
2 July 2021, 8:45 AM

Donald Trump’s namesake company and longtime financial chief pleaded not guilty on Thursday to what a New York prosecutor called a “sweeping and audacious” tax fraud, arising from a probe into the former US president’s business and its practices.

The indictment against the Trump Organisation and its chief financial officer Allen Weisselberg is the first in a nearly three-year investigation by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance, which New York Attorney General Letitia James joined in May.

It could undermine the Trump Organisation’s relationships with banks and business partners, and complicate Trump’s political future as the Republican resumes addressing rallies and mulls a 2024 White House run.

Trump himself has not been charged, and renewed his claim that the probe was a political “witch hunt.” Vance and James are Democrats. Prosecutors accused the Trump Organisation and Weisselberg of having since 2005 defrauded tax authorities by awarding “off the books” benefits to company executives.

Weisselberg, 73, was charged with concealing $1.76 million of income, including rent for a Manhattan apartment, lease payments for two Mercedes-Benz vehicles and tuition for family members, with Trump signing checks for the tuition himself. Prosecutors said this enabled Weisselberg, who has worked for Trump for about 48 years, to evade roughly $900 000 in taxes and collect $133 000 in refunds he did not deserve.

“To put it bluntly, this was a sweeping and audacious illegal payments scheme,” Assistant District Attorney Carey Dunne said at the defendants’ arraignment in Manhattan Criminal Court. “This is not a standard practice in the business community, nor was it the act of a rogue or isolated employee.”

The 15-count indictment charged the defendants with scheming to defraud, tax fraud and falsifying business records. Weisselberg was also charged with grand larceny, which carries a maximum 15-year prison term. The Trump Organisation could face fines and other penalties if convicted.

“If the allegations in the indictment are true, this was pants-on-fire tax evasion,” said Daniel Hemel, a tax law professor at the University of Chicago. “It is very hard to believe that this could have happened without the man on top knowing.”

‘Witch hunt’

Thursday’s charges could increase pressure on Weisselberg to cooperate with prosecutors, which could be crucial to any future case against the former president. Ross Garber, a lawyer who teaches at Tulane Law School in New Orleans, said the indictment “appears to be a further effort to coerce Weisselberg to cooperate against Trump.

Time will tell whether it works.” In a statement, Trump said: “The political Witch Hunt by the Radical Left Democrats, with New York now taking over the assignment, continues. It is dividing our Country like never before!” Vance and James attended Thursday’s arraignment. “This investigation will continue, and we will follow the facts and the law wherever they may lead,” James, who had been conducting a related civil probe, said in a statement.

Weisselberg wore handcuffs as he was led to the courtroom, and after being released was driven away in a black SUV. “You’re going to prison,” an onlooker shouted. “He will fight these charges in court,” Weisselberg’s lawyers Mary Mulligan and Bryan Skarlatos said in a joint statement before the charges were announced.

Alan Futerfas, a lawyer for the Trump Organisation, told reporters that the company was “very optimistic” the charges would not significantly hurt its business. “If the name of this company was something else, I don’t think these charges would have been brought,” he said.

In a separate statement, the Trump Organisation accused Vance of using Weisselberg as “a pawn in a scorched earth attempt to harm the former president. “This is not justice; this is politics,” the company said.

Broad probe 

Trump’s company operates hotels, golf courses, and resorts around the world. Before entering the White House in January 2017, Trump put the organisation into a trust overseen by his adult sons Donald Jr and Eric, as well as Weisselberg. It is unclear what role Trump now has at the company.

Vance’s probe got a boost in February when he obtained eight years of Trump’s tax returns. Trump had spent 18 months, including two trips to the US Supreme Court, to keep Vance from seeing them. Vance has been examining an array of potential wrongdoing, including whether the Trump Organization manipulated the value of its real estate to reduce taxes and secure favorable loan terms. He has also been examining hush money payments made before the 2016 presidential election to two women who said they had sexual encounters with Trump, which he has denied.

Michael Cohen, a former Trump lawyer who turned against his former boss, has said Weisselberg was involved in reimbursing him for payments to one of the women, adult film actress Stormy Daniels.

Cohen is cooperating with Vance’s investigation. Jennifer Weisselberg, the former wife of Weisselberg’s son Barry, is also cooperating, and provided boxes of tax and other financial records.

Vance has been district attorney for 11-1/2 years. He leaves office at the end of the year.

Weather

 

SABC © 2021