For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Lindiwe Mabena (Page 11)

Author Archives: Lindiwe Mabena

sabc news Burned truck
KZN and Gauteng business owners count losses following looting spree by some Zuma’s supporters
12 July 2021, 6:24 AM

Business owners are counting losses totalling millions of rand following massive looting of shops as people calling for the release of former president Jacob Zuma invaded businesses overnight.

Clothing, liquor and furniture shops in the small towns on the north of KwaZulu-Natal, including Eshowe, were left dry by looters.

Looters run amok in KZN – Jayed-Leigh Paulse reports live from the scene:

The looters disregarded warning shots fired in the air by police and security guards.

Some people loaded the stolen items into their cars, while others had trolleys full of liquor and clothes.

Some shop owners decided to guard their shops on their own to protect the little stock left.

“They smashed all my windows and looted all the booze out it becoming criminal now, it not what they wanted, the cost is between R200 000 and R250 000 may be I am not sure. If they were fighting for something they wanted they would just be blocking the roads now they just stealing all the liquor it just becoming criminality now, it the criminal element,” one business owner told SABC News.

There has also been looting reported in some parts of Gauteng, including at the Dobsonville Mall in Soweto.

Authorities have urged calm and restraint, warning that lawbreakers will be arrested and prosecuted.

62 people arrested in KZN and Gauteng following violent protests
12 July 2021, 6:00 AM

Police say more than 60 suspects have been arrested in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal following violent protests. They say visibility has been heightened and officers remain on high alert in response to incidents of opportunistic criminality.

In Alexandra, Johannesburg, police arrested 25 suspects for public violence also linked to the shooting of a police officer, who was rushed to hospital for urgent medical attention.

Police spokesperson, Brenda Muridili, says an investigation has been launched on the circumstances surrounding the fatal shooting of a 40-year-old man in the township.

“The national joint operational and intelligence structure is working around the clock to enhance operational capacity at provincial level in response to incidents I which people appear to be undermining the authority of the state including flouting the DMA regulations. The warning  is issued to those circulating  inflammatory messages inciting violence and lawlessness that they refrain doing so. The possibility of criminal charges being instituted against such persons can not be ruled out,” says Muridili.

In KwaZulu-Natal, where incidents of violent protests started on Friday, the number of arrests has increased to 37 so far.

Discussion on pro-Zuma protests with political analyst Sandile Swana:

Zuma’s legal team to present his case at ConCourt in last-ditch attempt for freedom
12 July 2021, 5:00 AM

The Constitutional Court will on Monday hear former president Jacob Zuma’s bid to have his 15-month imprisonment sentence rescinded.

Zuma’s legal team will present his case, which will be opposed by lawyers representing the State Capture Commission and the Helen Suzman Foundation.

The former president contended that the Constitutional Court giving the State Capture Commission direct access to it has effectively resulted in his imprisonment without trial. He quotes, in his court papers, a case of contempt of court heard by the Supreme Court of Appeals which did not result in jail time for the convicted person, but rather saw his investigation by the National Prosecutions Authority (NPA).

The Commission has said Zuma had ample opportunities to present his case but chose not to do so. It says that the rescission application is a thinly-disguised attempt at an appeal by the former president. It wants it dismissed with costs.

Legal analyst, Ulrich Roux, says he does not believe that Zuma’s application will be successful. Roux says the court has already presented a plausible judgment.

“They couldn’t have granted him another opportunity to abide, they couldn’t have suspended the sentence once again because he had disregarded all the previous orders made against him. So, he’s basically saying to the ConCourt you made an error in ruling that I was in contempt and you made an error in sending me for a period of imprisonment and you need to set aside your decision. Now the Constitutional Court has never before set aside or rescinded it’s own orders and to be honest, I don’t think it’s going to happen here as well. I don’t think there’s grounds for him,” he says.

Roux explains the process that the Constitutional Court is likely to follow.

“I don’t think we must expect a ruling on Monday already. The legal teams will argue and the court will most likely reserve judgment and probably they’ll take it’s time like they did with the contempt application to hand down judgment. Most likely two to three weeks in my opinion.”

Zuma has been behind bars since Wednesday night.

His jailing has sparked protests in some parts of the country, which has seen trucks torched and shops looted.

President Cyril Ramaphosa has warned lawbreakers that they will be prosecuted:

Ramaphosa reads the riot act to Zuma’s supporters, denounces ethnic mobilisation
11 July 2021, 10:42 PM

President Cyril Ramaphosa has warned that those involved in acts of violence related to the arrest of former president Jacob Zuma will be arrested and prosecuted.

Ramaphosa says while everyone has a right to protest, there can never be justification for violent and destructive action that affects the rights of others.

He says it is a matter of concern that some of these acts of violence are based on ethnic mobilisation.

Protestors demanding that Zuma be released have torched buildings and vehicles in parts of KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

Ramaphosa says this will not be tolerated.

“Let us be clear as a nation that we will not tolerate any acts of criminality. We will not tolerate any acts of vandalism. Those who are involved in acts of violence will be arrested and prosecuted. Those found guilty of violating the lockdown regulations will receive the stipulated penalty. This will be done without any fear or favour,” he says.

The president’s call comes as some protestors in KwaZulu-Natal looted stores at the Umlazi Mega City Mall, south of Durban.

Police had to use rubber bullets to try and disperse them.

Sthembiso Kubheka is among the frustrated residents from the area who was at the mall when the looting began. An agitated Kubheka explains that he was separated from his two young children in the chaos.

“They’re very young, they’re very young, cause I jumped off from work. I rather bring all the taxi violence here this is not good. I lost my kids now. I supposed to come and fetch my kids. This is not good.”

SABC News reporter Jayed-Leigh Paulse was at the mall and gives an update in the video below:

Zimbabwe stage a late comeback to force 2-all draw with Malawi
9 July 2021, 9:50 PM

Six-time COSAFA Cup champions, Zimbabwe, are still winless after two matches in the 2021 COSAFA Cup tournament currently under way in Gqeberha, in the Eastern Cape.

Zimbabwe had to come from behind to force a 2-all draw with Malawi in the earlier match in Group B.

They were under a lot of pressure to bounce back after being held to a goalless draw by Mozambique on Wednesday. But Malawi had other ideas as they took the lead midway through the first half through Khuda Myaba.

Six-time champions, Zimbabwe, did everything possible to get the equaliser in the first half, but Malawi enjoyed a one goal lead at the break. Even though Malawi managed to increase their lead early in the second half, Zimbabwe staged a dramatic comeback later on.

Malawi keeper, William Thole, made a double save 17 minutes into the second half, but was finally beaten by Blessing Sarupinda.

The Warriors made it 2-all 12 minutes from time with Patrick Musaka finding the back of the net after being set-up by Ovidy Karuru.

Zimbabwe were determined to steal all the three points in injury time, but the match ended in a stalemate.

Senegal beat Mozambique 

Senegal beat Mozambique one-nil in a closely contested match.

The West Africans, who were invited to play in the Southern African football tournament, are now second in Group B after two matches.

Senegal wanted to get something out of their match against Mozambique after their 2-1 loss to Namibia in their opening Group B match.

On the other hand, Mozambique had an opportunity to go top of the group with a win after drawing against Zimbabwe on Wednesday.

Senegal were the first to threaten in the 12th minute, but Mozambique survived the big scare.

Mozambique were forced to make an early change due to an injury.

Senegal keeper, Pape Ndiaye, was called to make a save in the 20th minute to deny Mozambique and the first half ended goalless.

The West Africans eventually scored their first goal of the tournament through Pape Djitte in the 62nd minute. There was very little separating the two sides in this closely contested match and it ended 1-nil to Senegal.

Weather

 

SABC © 2021