For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Celestine Hendricks (Page 623)

Author Archives: Celestine Hendricks

Nathi Mthethwa
Royalties to be handed over to SA artists
1 December 2018, 7:46 AM

Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa says the issue of South African artists dying poor should become a thing of the past.

He was speaking at the Independent Music Performance Rights Association‘s media briefing in Johannesburg on Friday.

Mthethwa announced that royalties from music played by the SABC’s radio stations between 2014 and 2015 will be handed over to artists.

Amounts will differ according to the number of airplay the songs get.

“We’ve been saying this and it’s important to say it again and again. These people have been robbed for many years. There are many of them and many have passed on and others are still alive. For the industry we really need ethical leadership.”

Watch related video: 

Cameroon stripped of right to host 2019 African Nations Cup
1 December 2018, 7:41 AM

Cameroon has been stripped of the right to host the 2019 African Nations Cup finals due to delays in preparations for the tournament and security concerns.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) confirmed the unanimous decision after a meeting of its executive committee in Accra on Friday.

Morocco is the favourite to take over the hosting of the expanded 24-team tournament, which is being held from June 15-July 13, with the preferred candidate to be named by Dec. 31, CAF said in a statement.

Cameroons ability to host the finals was first questioned when CAF announced in July last year that the tournament would have eight additional teams and only countries capable of putting on world-class tournament, with complete facilities and extensive infrastructure would be allowed to stage the event.

Morocco immediately said it was ready to replace Cameroon, beginning more than a year of claims and counter-claims that CAF intended taking the tournament away from Cameroon and giving it to the northern African country.

CAF sent several inspection teams to check on the progress of the construction of five stadiums proposed for the tournament.

“After having heard from representatives of the governmental and sports authorities of Cameroon, and reviewed the latest progress on preparations, CAF notes the gap between the requirements of hosting the AFCON and realities on the ground,” the CAF statement said.

“Furthermore, after hearing the conclusions of the CAF Security Inspection Team during their most recent visit to Cameroon, CAF concludes that the Africa Cup of Nations could not be exposed to any issues that could impact on the success of the most prestigious African competition.”

When CAF President Ahmad went to Cameroon in October he told the country’s President Paul Biya in front of assembled reporters: “CAF has no Plan B, nor have we ever considered taking the Nations Cup away from Cameroon.”

But last week he criticised Cameroon’s inability to regularise the affairs of its football federation, which has been under the control of a normalisation committee for more than a year while it struggles to adopt a new constitution and elect a new executive.

“CAF reiterates that Cameroon remains a serious candidate to organise a future edition of AFCON, and acknowledges that the country has mobilised significant resources and worked tirelessly to host AFCON 2019,” CAF said.

Next year’s Nations Cup will be the first moved to mid-year to end a long-standing clash between clubs and countries over the release of their players.

Watch related video: 

It will be the fourth successive Nations Cup to have a change of host.

The 2013 finals were to be held in Libya but the security situation there meant they were moved to South Africa.

In 2015 Morocco had the hosting rights taken away after they expressed fears that travelling fans might bring in the Ebola virus and Equatorial Guinea stepped in with just six months to prepare.

The 2017 finals were originally due to be held in South Africa, but they had swapped with Libya, which was then also unable to host and Gabon took over.

Julius Malema
Company allegedly bribed EFF to get Jhb tender
30 November 2018, 10:46 AM

The AmaBhungane Centre for Investigative Journalism has claimed that a company that won a R1.2 billion tender to run car and truck fleets for the City of Johannesburg made payments to Julius Malema and the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF).

The allegations state that the company made a bribe to the EFF to get a contract from the Democratic Alliance (DA)  led City and that this is how the DA and EFF have maintained a partnership.

The EFF has said that there is no evidence of this.

Meanwhile, Johannesburg Mayor Herman Mashaba has dismissed allegations of wrong doing in his council contained in the report by AmaBhungane and says that an investigation will be done into the matter.

Click on related interview:

HIV AIDS ribbon
Saturday marks the 30th anniversary of World AIDS Day
30 November 2018, 9:09 AM

Saturday marks the 30th anniversary of World AIDS Day. Launched in 1988, the annual observance highlights worldwide efforts to combat HIV/AIDS.

World AIDS Day is also an occasion to show support for those living with HIV and to remember those who have died from the infection.

Chairperson of the Treatment Action Campaign Sbo Thabalalala describes the significant change around HIV and people living with HIV now, compared to 15-years ago.

“The situation around HIV and people living with HIV has changed dramatically and remember at that time we had less people that were on ARV’s and today we are talking about 50 present of people living with HIV on ARVs which is a great achievement. We are happy that the government came to party and they provided ARVs and they continue to provide ARVs to people who are living with HIV.”

Although life expectancy and stigma has improved, ARV availability is still a challenge for many people living with HIV.

Watch related video: 

Click on related interview: 

Same sex couple getting married.
State officials cannot refuse to officiate same sex marriages
30 November 2018, 8:31 AM

The Private Members Bill was adopted by Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Home Affairs on Wednesday to removing section 6 of the Civil Union Act, aimed at the refusal to marry same sex marriages.

Previously state marriage officials could refuse to marry same sex couples if it conflicted with their religious beliefs. Congress of the People (COPE) Member of Parliament (MP), Deidre Carter says that couples would sometimes have to travel to different provinces to find an official to solemnise their marriage.

More than half state marriage officials were unwilling to marry same sex couples says Carter.

“At first in 2017, I actually directed a question to the minister to ask her how many designated marriage officers were exempted from solemnising same sex couple marriages. They then came back to say that 421 out of 1130 designated officers were exempted.”

Carter says that the state – people employed by the state, cannot discriminate, however this will not force churches to marry same sex couples, “This does not affect religious leaders… but it’s absolutely only state employees.”

Click to listen to the interview on SAfm with COPE’s Carter : 

Weather

 

SABC © 2021