Search and rescue operations to resume to locate bodies in Vaal River
18 October 2020, 12:05 PM
Search and rescue operations are expected to resume on Sunday in an effort to locate the bodies of four men presumed to have drowned in the Vaal River. Paramedics say five men in their 30s drowned after their boat capsized in the river near Spider Valley Road on Saturday afternoon.
One body has been recovered. A man and a woman survived and only sustained minor injuries.
ER 24’s Ross Campbell says, “The two survivors declined transportation to the hospital. The man explained that the boat was taking on water when it capsized. SAPS were on scene for investigation and waiting on rescue divers to begin the recovery.”
Two killed, five injured in Free State crash
18 October 2020, 11:54 AM
Two people have been killed and five others injured when the vehicle they were traveling in overturned on the R30 road between Bothaville and Orkney in the Free State. The driver is suspected to have lost control of the vehicle which then overturned.
Free State EMS spokesperson Sipho Towa says the injured have been taken to nearby hospitals.
“Just before seven this morning, we received an accident on R30 between Bothaville and Orkney where a single vehicle overturned. When EMS got on scene they found a Toyota Avanza with three critically injured and people with moderate injuries. Unfortunately, two were declared dead on the scene. Patients were transported to Nala hospital in Bothavile and Orkney.”
Cape Flats residents complaints about lack of basic services justified
18 October 2020, 11:32 AM
The Councillor of Ward 33 in Samora Machel in Phillipi on the Cape Flats, Sithembiso Mzobe, says residents complaints about a lack of basic services in a new area known as the Eyadini informal settlement are justified.
A group of former backyard dwellers is currently squatting on the land owned by rail agency PRASA.
On Saturday Samora Machel residents accused their local ward councillor of failing to listen to the concerns:
Residents blame Mzobe for not helping them to get proper toilets and electricity in their area.
But, Mzobe says he’s trying his best to solve the problem although the complaining residents’ area doesn’t fall under his ward.
“Those issues are relevant because those issues are reported to the officials, to the council and the council didn’t help us when I spoke with them last week. The sub-council manager and I asked them, the roads need to be fixed and she answered that there is money allocated, the roads must be fixed and I asked when I didn’t even get an answer, I spoke the officials but it didn’t help.”
Mixed mitigation measures must be in place to avoid second wave of COVID-19
18 October 2020, 10:05 AM
Mixed mitigation measures must be put in place to avoid a second wave of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in the continent, says Doctor Mary Stephen, Technical officer World Health Organization Regional Office for Africa in Brazzaville, Congo.
The mitigation measures include the general population complying with the preventive measures of wearing the face masks, keeping social distancing, regular hand washing, and avoiding mass gatherings.
According to the WHO Africa regional director Matshidiso Moeti, the number of new daily confirmed cases overall has started rising after slowing since mid-July, with a “substantial rise in deaths” confirmed over the past week.
Stephen says, “With regards to the fear for the increase in the number of COVID cases, people are looking at what is happening in Europe and the United States and as you can see as they lifted restrictions on international travel and some of those lockdown measures to reopen the economy. You can see the increase in the number of cases and every country is actually at risk including all countries in Africa. So we need to make sure that we put in mixed mitigation measures in place to avoid a second wave of the outbreak on the continent.”
In the video below, Dr. Mary Stephen speaks to SABC News:
Sanlam Cape Town Virtual Marathon under way
18 October 2020, 7:18 AM
The Sanlam Cape Town Virtual Marathon is under way.
The virtual marathon is being broadcasted on SABC 2, making it a first that a virtual marathon is broadcast live on TV.
“Camera crews will follow the Elite Invitational race on the three respective routes, while the broadcast itself will also include a host of human interest stories and virtual race updates from across the globe,” says Sanlam Cape Town Marathon Race Director, Renee Jordaan.
“We have been working closely with the SABC team, and look forward to a live broadcast production as unique as the virtual event itself.”