For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Busisiwe Radebe (Page 2)

Author Archives: Busisiwe Radebe

England captain Root backs team to build on Headingley win
29 August 2021, 10:00 AM

England captain Joe Root has said his team has the quality to consistently deliver performances similar to their crushing win over India in the third Test at Headingley on Saturday.

England, after being comprehensively outplayed in the second Test at Lord’s, thrashed the visitors by an innings and 76 runs to level the five-Test series at 1-1.

“I’ve always known what we’re capable of doing. Everyone in this group has shown that they’re good enough to perform and to deliver performances like that collectively,” Root told reporters on Saturday.

“One thing we need to keep getting better at is being more consistent and doing that time and time again. And (Headingley) is a great template for us to work from.
“As a batting group, we made that big first innings score. As a bowling group, we were relentless. That’s the sort of thing that over time, we need to just keep doing more and more of.”

Root emphasised the need for consistent big partnerships with the bat after leading the way with his 121, while Rory Burns, Haseeb Hameed, and Dawid Malan all scored half-centuries.

“Now we’ve done it once this series, there’s no reason why we can’t take this forward,” Root added.

“We’ve shown that we can stand up to these guys in our own way and do it in our own manner as a side and really put them back under pressure. We’ve got a great opportunity now with two games to go to do just that.”

The victory also made Root the most successful test captain for England with the result giving him his 27th win, one more than Michael Vaughan.

“I’m living my boyhood dream,” the 30-year-old said.

“I couldn’t be more proud to have gone past Michael but you don’t do that on your own as captain – it’s down to the group of players and the coaching staff as well.”

The fourth test starts at The Oval on Thursday.

Gunman kills four in attack near French embassy in Tanzania
25 August 2021, 9:21 PM

A gunman killed three police officers and a private security guard on a rampage through a diplomatic quarter of Tanzania’s main city Dar es Salaam on Wednesday (August 25), before being shot dead while holed up in a guardhouse at the French embassy’s gate.

Police said the attacker had first shot two police officers with a pistol at an intersection in the district, which houses a number of diplomatic missions. He took rifles from the fallen police officers, and headed on foot to the French embassy a few hundred metres away, firing randomly and occupying the guardhouse.

President Samia Suluhu Hassan said on Twitter that the attacker had been “neutralised” and “calm has returned”.

Six people were injured in addition to the four who were killed, police commissioner of operations and training Liberatus Sabas said in a Tweet shared by the account of the Tanzanian Police Force.

Inspector-General of Police Simon Sirro said in an interview aired on local television that police were trying to identify the attacker. While the motive was not yet known, Sirro suggested the attack could be related to Tanzania’s role in neighbouring Mozambique, where it sent troops this month to help fight Islamist insurgents as part of a regional security force.

Police official Sabas told reporters it was too early to say whether the gunman was a Tanzanian national, or whether he had links to terrorism.

SGA Security, which describes itself as a major security services provider in East Africa, did not immediately respond to requests for comment. The French embassy in Dar es Salaam could not immediately be reached for comment and French foreign ministry officials in Paris were not available.

SABC’s Daniel Kijo reports from Dar es Salaam:

JSC votes for impeachment of Western Cape Judge President John Hlophe
25 August 2021, 6:34 PM

The Judicial Service Commission has voted for the impeachment of Western Cape Judge President John Hlophe.

This comes four months after a Judicial Conduct Tribunal led by retired Judge Joop Labuschagne found Hlophe guilty of gross misconduct for trying to sway two Constitutional Court justices to rule in favour of then African National Congress (ANC) president Jacob Zuma.

The Judicial Conduct Tribunal’s decision on Hlophe was unanimous:

The Commission is expected to give reasons within 24 hours on their decision. Hlophe and the Constitutional Court have until September the 3rd to make submissions on why it should not recommend to President Cyril Ramaphosa that the Judge President be suspended.

The National Assembly will then vote to remove Hlophe.

Judgment reserved in Magashule, ANC matter
25 August 2021, 2:30 PM

The Johannesburg High Court has reserved judgment in the matter involving suspended African National Congress (ANC) Secretary-General Ace Magashule and the governing party.

Magashule is seeking leave to appeal the court’s earlier ruling to uphold his suspension. This relates to his failure to temporarily step down as stipulated by the party’s Step Aside Rule, which says members facing criminal charges must vacate their positions pending the finalisation of their cases.

He also argued that the court prejudged the matter and was biased in its handling of his case with the ANC. Judge Jody Kollapen said the judgment will be out soon.

Internal party issues

Last month, Legal expert Sanusha Naidoo said the dismissal of Magashule’s case by the High Court in Johannesburg is a lesson that internal party issues should not involve courts.

Naidoo said the judiciary gets nervous around political cases.

“There is a political connotation to these things. The fact of the matter is the pronouncement that was made around checking to see whether rule 25.70 was legal was justified. It had political connotations. You can’t ignore it and I think that when you start using the courts to fight these political battles then, of course, the court gets nervous and I think in this case the court realised that in the context of what was happening, I mean the entire application has been dismissed.”

Death toll from Haiti quake hits 724 as tropic storm looms
15 August 2021, 8:41 PM

The death toll from a devastating earthquake in Haiti rose to 724 on Sunday as rescue workers scrambled to find survivors buried under buildings a day after the 7.2 magnitude quake and as a tropical storm bore down on the Caribbean nation.

The quake flattened hundreds of homes and buildings in a Caribbean nation which is still clawing its way back from another major temblor 11 years ago and reeling from the assassination of its president last month.

Southwestern Haiti bore the brunt of the blow, especially in the region in and around the city of Les Cayes. In a news conference on Sunday, Haitian officials said the toll from the disaster had climbed to 724 as the rescue work continued.

Churches, hotels, hospitals, and schools were badly damaged or destroyed, while the walls of a prison were rent open by the violent shudders that convulsed Haiti.

“We need to show a lot of solidarity with the emergency,” said Haiti’s Prime Minister Ariel Henry, a neurosurgeon who was thrust to the forefront of the troubled country after the assassination of President Jovenel Moise on July 7.

Rescue efforts

The rescue efforts are set to be made more complicated by the arrival of Tropical Storm Grace, which is set to lash Haiti with heavy rainfall on Monday. There was also the possibility of flash flooding, the U.S. National Hurricane Center (NHC) said.

At the Vatican, Pope Francis urged nations to send quick aid. “May solidarity from everyone lighten the consequences of the tragedy,” he told pilgrims and tourists at his Sunday blessing in St. Peter’s Square.

The United States sent vital supplies and deployed a 65-person urban search-and-rescue team with specialized equipment, said Samantha Power, the administrator of the United States Agency for International Development.

Some Haitians said spent Saturday night sleeping in the open, traumatized by memories of the magnitude 7 quake in 2010that struck far closer to the sprawling capital, Port-au-Prince, and killed tens of thousands of people.

Footage of Saturday’s aftermath posted on social media showed residents reaching into narrow openings in piles of fallen masonry to pull shocked and distraught people from the debris of walls and roofs that had crumbled around them.

Access to the worst-hit areas was complicated by a deterioration in law and order that has left key access roads in parts of Haiti in the hands of gangs, although unconfirmed reports on social media suggested they would let aid pass.

Following Moise’s assassination, which authorities have alleged was carried out by a group of largely Colombianmercenaries and Haitian accomplices, Prime Minister Henry said officials would aim to hold elections for a new president as soon as possible

Weather

 

SABC © 2021