Today marks the 43rd anniversary of Black Wednesday when the apartheid government banned 19 Black Consciousness organisations and several anti- government newspapers such as the World and the Weekend World on 19 October 1977.
A number of events are planned for today, including the 10th Annual Percy Qoboza Memorial Lecture. Qoboza was the then editor of The World newspaper.
Now to reflect on the importance of this day we are joined via Zoom by Vice-Chancellor and Principal of the University of Pretoria Professor Tawana Kupe.
Will positive COVID-19 result affect Trump’s election campaign?
2 October 2020, 11:41 AM
US President Donald Trump announced via twitter that he and First Lady Melania Trump had tested positive for COVID-19. Trump’s positive result will now put him under a microscope for his stance on the pandemic, and his policies to curb it.
Infections in the US stand at more than 34 million with over a million deaths, the highest in the world.
Trump’s positive test follows news that Hope Hicks, a top adviser and trusted aide, had tested positive for the new coronavirus.
Hicks travels regularly with the president on Air Force One and, along with other senior aides, accompanied him to Ohio for the presidential debate on Tuesday and to Minnesota for a campaign event on Wednesday.
Trump, who is tested regularly for the virus that causes COVID-19, has kept up a rigorous travel schedule across the country in recent weeks, holding rallies with thousands of people in the run-up to the November 3 election, despite warnings from public health professionals against having events with large crowds.
Trump has come under sharp criticism for his response to the coronavirus pandemic that has killed more than 200,000 people in the United States alone. The president has touted his management of the crisis.
Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2020
Prince Azenathi Dalindyebo’s application to be reinstated dismissed
23 July 2020, 1:11 PM
Abathembu Prince Azenathi Dalindyebo’s application to be reinstated as king has been dismissed by the Mthatha High Court in the Eastern Cape, following his abrupt removal from the throne by Premier Oscar Mabuyane.
The case was heard in the Mthatha High Court on July 16, 2020 after Prince Azenathi’s lawyers made an urgent court application following his abrupt removal from the throne by Premier Oscar Mabuyane.
In a statement Mabuyane stripped Azenathi Dalindyebo off his acting kingship, government benefits and ordered him to vacate Bumbane Great Place before reinstating King Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo to the throne.
AbaThembu king Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo has asked all his children, including acting King Azenathi Dalindyebo , to undergo DNA tests to prove that they are indeed his children.
Dalindyebo has reportedly disowned Azenathi until he undergoes the test and has also requested Azenathi to vacate the Bumbane Great Place.
Infographic: Crimes King Dalindyebo committed
In In March, after having been paroled from an East London prison, King Dalindyebo went on the rampage at the Bumbane Great Place – demanding that Azenathi leave.
Dalindyebo’s spokesperson, Prince Mthunzi Ngonyama, says Azenathi was the only child who refused to undergo DNA testing.
“The King has decided earlier this year, to conduct a DNA tests that will involve all his children, not only Azenathi. While he was still persuading [him] he got some tip off from someone that has some information that seems to be very detailed which proved what some of [the] suspicions that king had about his son. He was convinced that he is not his son but he has now said that if he wants to further verify this, Azenathi can go for a DNA test but there’s never been good cooperation from his [Azenathi’s] side,” explains Ngonyama.
In the video below, spectators watch as a police van hauls away King Dalindyebo, outside the Bumbane Great Place:
AbaThembu king Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo arrested
In March, Dalindyebo was arrested at the Bumbane Great Place in Mthatha after he allegedly went on a rampage, attacking family members with pangas, bush knives and axes.
His son Azenathi was allegedly among those assaulted.
The acting king was central to conflict within the royal family, after the king’s incarceration in 2015.
He was appointed to this role after winning a court battle against his uncle Prince Mthandeni Mankunku Dalindyebo, over the abaThembu kingship. The pair subsequently made peace in 2018.
Dalindyebo has accused the government of fueling divisions between himself and his son Prince Azenathi.
Reasons for load shedding in parts of South Africa: Sikonathi Mantshantsha
21 July 2020, 11:22 AM
Tonight we’re checking in with power utility Eskom. Because load shedding may have been suspended, but there are parts of South Africa where residents remain in the dark amidst the cold weather and COVID-19 fears.
A resident of Chiawelo in Soweto has told SABC News they have been without power for a month. In a bid to crackdown on thousands of illegal connections, Eskom has implemented daily cuts in certain areas at peak times in the morning and in the afternoons. It calls this load reduction as opposed to load shedding. But let’s find out about the areas where the lights aren’t coming on.
We are joined by Eskom spokesperson, Sikonathi Mantshantsha via Zoom. For more news, visit sabcnews.com and also #SABCNews, #Coronavirus, #COVID19, COVID-19 News on Social Media.
Former President Mandela’s daughter, Zindzi has died
13 July 2020, 7:47 AM
Former President Nelson Mandela daughter, Zindzi Mandela-Hlongwane has died.
Zindzi is the daughter of Nelson Mandela and Winnie Madikizela-Mandela. At the time of her passing, she was the ambassador to Denmark.
The 59-year-old passed away at a Johannesburg hospital in the early hours of Monday morning.
In 1985 her father was offered a conditional release by the South African President, P. W. Botha. Her father’s reply could not be delivered by her parents and Zindzi was chosen to read his refusal at a public meeting on 10 February 1985.
In the video below Zindzi Mandela reads her father’s letter: