Six members of the ANC National Youth Task Team (NYTT) have been booted out of the team due to them being over the age of 35 years.
The NYTT was appointed by the ANC National Executive Committee (NEC) to assist the ANC Youth League to organise its national elective conference.
ANC deputy Secretary-General Jessie Duarte says there was confusion on what the ANC constitution says when it comes to the age of the members of the league.
She was addressing the media at the ANC headquarters in Johannesburg on Tuesday.
“We took it back to the NEC and that’s where decisions are made and corrected if they are wrong. We ensure that we are very clear that on the day that you turn 35, you have to depart from the ANC Youth League and I hope that it is clear in the constitution of the ANC Youth League which must apply.”
The National ANC Youth League structures were dissolved earlier in 2019.
In the video below, the newly established NYTT briefed the media on the outcomes of three-day meeting:
ANCYL under Malema
The League was disbanded after the expulsion of Malema from the ANC along with other senior league members including Floyd Shivambu and Sindiso Magaqa.
The three were initially suspended. Shivambu for a comment he made about regime change in Botswana as well as insulting a journalist; Magaqa for undermining the authority of then Public Enterprises Minister Malusi Gigaba and Malema for comparing former President Jacob Zuma unfavourably to his predecessor Thabo Mbeki.