The ANC leadership in KwaZulu-Natal is calling on police to act swiftly and arrest of those responsible for the brutal murder of its members ahead of the local government elections. The call comes after the murder of eThekwini Ward 101 candidate, Siyabonga Mkhize, and another party member at Cato Crest, west of Durban.  

The two were gunned down in their vehicle just after concluding their door-to-door campaign. Two others survived the attack.  

This is the second fatal attack on ANC members ahead of the November 1 elections. 

ANC visits the home of slain ANC member gunned down during campaigning:

Last month, three women were killed in a drive-by shooting at an ANC meeting to elect a ward candidate at Inanda, north of Durban. 

Addressing scores of ANC supporters outside the family home of Mkhize, the party’s provincial leadership called for interventions to curb attacks on its members.  

Earlier, the community of Ward 101 in the eThekwini Municipality also highlighted that they had high hopes that Mkhize would bring about change in their area. People said they believed Mkhize was killed because he was a highly preferred candidate who took a stance against corruption. 

The ward includes a large informal settlement.  

The area of Cato Crest has seen several similar killings previously, forcing one of the councillors to go into hiding.  

Previously Mkhize’s ID number was mysteriously registered as deceased, making it difficult for him to contest the elections. But after putting up a fight, this was rectified.  

ANC Provincial Spokesperson, Nhlakanipho Ntombela, says, “In Ward 54, three comrades were killed whilst going to vote for a candidate and after that nothing had transpired. The whole process, until now, had been no issues. It is the first time that a candidate has been shot whilst the process has been concluded. It is difficult for us to second guess the motive. We are saying that police should do their work.”

Ntombela says the party will continue conducting door-to-door campaigns, especially in Ward 101 to ensure that the ANC wins the ward. He has urged ANC members across the province not to allow fear or threats to deter them from campaigning for the party.

“It must continue for us to restore confidence in our people. It must continue to ensure that they are not fearful. It has to continue to ensure that people do come out to vote on the 1st of November. There is a candidate and Siya is that candidate. He has to be voted in for us to win the ward, so that we can go to by-elections. As the ANC leadership, we have the responsibility now to go to that area and convincing communities, conducting door-to-door to win their trust.”

Mkhize’s family says they are distraught and shocked.  

Family member, Richard Mkhize, says they want justice to be done and for the police to catch the killer.

“We are saddened by his death. The way he was killed is so heartbreaking. We were not ready for this. He was always willing to assist the community. He was so young and his wife is young and he leaves behind such young children. What we want to see is the killers being arrested and brought to book.”

Meanwhile, police say the exact motive for Mkhize’s killing is not known. Police are investigating two cases of murder and two of attempted murder.  

Police Minister Bheki Cele is also expected to visit the family.

Siyabonga Mkhize I Family of murdered ANC Ward Candidate struggling to come to terms with the murder: