The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says despite the Constitutional Court ruling its boss Shaun Abrahams will not make an announcement on whether former President Jacob Zuma will be prosecuted or not on Thursday.
Earlier on Wednesday, the court dismissed the Council for the Advancement of South Africa’s Constitution’s urgent bid to block Abrahams from making the announcement which was due on Thursday.
The charges include fraud, corruption and racketeering.
Casac had argued that due to the court’s ruling that Zuma unlawfully appointed Abrahams, any decision taken by Abrahams related to the prosecution would be perceived as biased.
“One cannot appeal a decision of the Constitutional Court. We respect the decision of the court. We are disappointed, but we hope that sense would prevail with Abrahams and realise that it is in the broader public interest that a decision should not be taken until such a time that a court has ruled on this matter. But that’s probably a fallout hope and we know that Abrahams is going to seek his 15 minutes of fame probably tomorrow (Thursday) or the day after in terms of announcing a decision that he has come to,” says Casac’s Executive Secretary, Lawson Naidoo.